PDA

View Full Version : RDS 001 users...hows your serve?

dewey2110
09-26-2006, 09:21 PM
There has been a lot of RDS 001 threads recently, and I'ld like to open one myself as I'm a RDS 001 MP user. I can serve pretty well with this racquet, but not anywhere close to my Pure Drive. So how do you guys improve the quality of serve with this racquet? That is of course, without changing too much the balance (1-2 pts should be fine) and the weight, swingweight. I'm afraid that adding lead tape to 12 oclock position would change the balance, SW, and the feel too much.

snoflewis
09-26-2006, 09:36 PM
There has been a lot of RDS 001 threads recently, and I'ld like to open one myself as I'm a RDS 001 MP user. I can serve pretty well with this racquet, but not anywhere close to my Pure Drive. So how do you guys improve the quality of serve with this racquet? That is of course, without changing too much the balance (1-2 pts should be fine) and the weight, swingweight. I'm afraid that adding lead tape to 12 oclock position would change the balance, SW, and the feel too much.

no player's racket will serve as powerfully as the pure drive...mainly because the PD isnt even a player's racket. i use an rds001 mid and i serve pretty well with it. it's got good control and a string pattern that's open enough for good kick on the serves.

OrangeOne
09-26-2006, 09:47 PM

In what ways is your serve deficient....Power? (snoflewis addressed this if so), Spin? Control?

I'd expect people will need the answer to this question before advising lead or otherwise....

dewey2110
09-26-2006, 09:48 PM
no player's racket will serve as powerfully as the pure drive...mainly because the PD isnt even a player's racket. i use an rds001 mid and i serve pretty well with it. it's got good control and a string pattern that's open enough for good kick on the serves.
So we cant do anything about its power level? I just want to have a more powerful 1st serve.

BTW, remember this, from wikipedia:

"According to experts such as John McEnroe, Nalbandian's biggest weakness is his weak and low-percentage serve."

dewey2110
09-26-2006, 09:50 PM
In what ways is your serve deficient....Power? (snoflewis addressed this if so), Spin? Control?

I'd expect people will need the answer to this question before advising lead or otherwise....
YES, POWER... the spin and control were good.

OrangeOne
09-26-2006, 09:53 PM
So we cant do anything about its power level? I just want to have a more powerful 1st serve.

BTW, remember this, from wikipedia:

"According to experts such as John McEnroe, Nalbandian's biggest weakness is his weak and low-percentage serve."

That's a comment on Nalby's serve, it's in no way attributed to the racquet he's using. A top 10 player's serve is exceptionally unlikely to be hindered by their racquet to any significant degree.

counterpuncher
09-26-2006, 11:06 PM
I am a fellow RDS001 mp user as well and apart from adding as much lead as you can handle the only other way you are going to improve the power in your serve apart from addressing your technique is to use a more powerful string or lower tension on your current string.

Go Tennis
09-27-2006, 02:57 AM
And unless you have a 200km/h serve (and go for aces), the kick serve will be more dangerous for your oponent. At first should be difficult, but with a little practice, the kick serve is easy to do. And VERY FUNNY as well. Maybe, with time, you can have a hard kick serve for your first serve and a regular kick serve for your second serve. And sometimes, to leave your oponent always in alert, you can serve a bomb first serve.

bertrevert
09-27-2006, 04:00 AM
Power - I got some huge serves out of my first comp match with 001 MP. It's too early for me to offer any concrete advice. Something is working on the flat ones but I can't tell what. My slice and kick suffered a bit. Remember that with a racquet swtich your timing's out.

How about this. Go down the courts with a bucket of balls. Just start serving feet on teh ground, in fact they stay there in platform stance. No follow through. Just start slow hitting balls in. Get the rhythm back. After a while go harder. When they are going in the net with force. Then start going into your full action. I am saying go back to basics and work it up: toss, timing, coil/uncoil, stroke, and follow-through. And they have to go in. If they don't stop and start over.

I reckon eventually my 001 just may serve harder than a PD did for me...

Of course, other things, next restring drop tension. Try standing in the doubles serving positions further out along the baseline (for greater length through the air), and perhaps lead at 3 and 9.

El Diablo
09-27-2006, 07:51 AM
If you find yourself serving better with the 001 than you did with the PD, I'd go BACK to the PD -- you'll serve bullets. I couldn't serve well at all when I tried the 001 MP, improved immediately when I tried the PD and my current Vantage. A racquet that's 11.5 ounces and nearly 10 points headlight will never dish up a lot of heat.

Broadway
09-27-2006, 01:46 PM
Im using the yonex RDS 001 90inch getting lots of power out of it on serves, i had it re strung in Babolat Pro hurricane/Babolat Xcel prem at 58lbs.

snoflewis
09-27-2006, 03:02 PM

so because Coria uses a prince racket, prince rackets dont serve well either right? nalbandian probably isnt even using the rds001...but like most will say, its technique, not racket.

dewey2110
09-27-2006, 04:33 PM
so you're saying that Roddick will serve the same even if he uses a Yonex? I don't think so...Of course pros are experts with excellent techniques, but I still think the racquet has a little impact on their games, very little, but yes it does. Coria makes lot of doubles cos of his technique, I'm talking about power here...I think you guys misunderstood
Nalbandian is def using the RDS, the throat of that racquet is different.
BTW, you guys notice that both Nalby and Hewitt did better with the RDX? I'm not saying its because of the racquet, but it still gives you negative thoughts about the RDS. I'm using the RDS.

Will888
09-27-2006, 08:19 PM
I think the serve for the RDS is fine. Flat serves feel a little different but I get just as much power when I was using my old racquet. The kick serve is better though. The precision on the RDS is good too. Overall I think it's a good serving racquet.

superstition
09-27-2006, 08:21 PM
That's a comment on Nalby's serve, it's in no way attributed to the racquet he's using. A top 10 player's serve is exceptionally unlikely to be hindered by their racquet to any significant degree.
Isn't is an odd coincidence that Dementieva, possibly the worst server in the WTA who is anywhere near the top 10, also uses that racquet? :mrgreen:

Design efficiency can affect a player's game. That's why not every player uses the same racquet.

superstition
09-27-2006, 08:27 PM
Navratilova's serve increased dramatically in power when she switched from the Prince More Control to the custom Bosworth. She hit 108 recently. But, her reaction time seemed to be slowed (heavier weight) and I think she made more errors (low string tension?) but hit with more power (and cleaner). The advantages and disadvantages may be related to the assymetrical grip on her Bosworth, too.

People here have reported that the 001 is quite flexible. That's probably why it's hard to come up with a big serve. Too much flex absorbs power. Watching Hewitt recently, it seems to me that his racquet is weakening his game.

dewey2110
09-27-2006, 08:50 PM
yes, thank you superstition, thats what I tried to tell them...I'm gonna have to try out lead tape at different places

superstition
09-27-2006, 09:12 PM
Of course, you can't expect serving with a player's frame to be similar to serving with a Pure Drive. There is also more to life than power. Navratilova's results actually went down when she switched to the Bosworth. She sacrificed speed (light Prince racquet) for power. In the end it paid off because her serve became a bigger and more consistent weapon that set up her partner well in mixed. The downside is that her reflex volleying became less reliable, forcing her team to rely more on serves and combos. She and Bob Bryan swept through the mixed, so that strategy worked. But, for ladies doubles, I think the agility of the Prince may have been helpful. One thing I've found in tennis is that getting more balls back and having more control is usually better than having more power if errors come along with it. Keeping the error rate down, in my experience, is critical. Yet, a player doesn't want to be blown off the court because they're using a marshmallow racquet, either. I had that happen with the Wilson Jack Kramer Prostaff 85. It's too flexible because of the fiberglass. Although my serve was good, my groundstrokes were too soft.

jamauss
09-27-2006, 10:56 PM
I've been playing with the RDS001 for about 6 months now and my serve works just fine. I have a flat 100-120 mph first serve and a topspin kicker 2nd serve that works well.

But you gotta remember, it's the player and their technique that makes an awesome serve, not the racquet.

chess9
09-28-2006, 05:28 AM
Dementieva's serve problems are related to her toss. So, the racquet isn't producing or contributing to her double faulting. Coria has a similar problem.

-Robert

onkystomper
09-28-2006, 07:01 AM
I think Demetieva would serve badly with any racqet so lets put that to one side.

I used the Pure Storm and hit HUGE First serves. Unfortunately the percentage was low. The RDS has led me to getting about 20% more serves in and have only sacrficed about 5-8 mph (on average.)

Yes i have used a speed gun.

nn
09-28-2006, 10:53 AM
I am coming from PD+ to RDS 001 MID. My serve has lot of action compare to power of PD+. But you have to consider with power comes loss of control, which happen with PD+. I was hitting ace with PD+ but double faults as well. Now RDS 001 MID has lot of spin and action on serve but not without pace (10% less compare to PD+).

I will take RDs 001 MID any day for Babolat PD+ no matter I use that for 3 years compare to RDS 001 MID for 3 months...

gfdoto
09-28-2006, 01:44 PM
I am coming from PD+ to RDS 001 MID. My serve has lot of action compare to power of PD+. But you have to consider with power comes loss of control, which happen with PD+. I was hitting ace with PD+ but double faults as well. Now RDS 001 MID has lot of spin and action on serve but not without pace (10% less compare to PD+).

I will take RDs 001 MID any day for Babolat PD+ no matter I use that for 3 years compare to RDS 001 MID for 3 months...
Thanks, this is good to know. I am currently playing with the PD+ and I am thinking about switching to a more control oriented racquet. I have 4 demos coming in tomorrow (LM Radical, RDS001 MP, mfil 300, wilson nsix-one 95). They all have less power than the PD+ but it's nice to hear that you don't miss the power of your PD+.

bertrevert
09-28-2006, 03:23 PM
I am coming from PD+ to RDS 001 MID.
Wow that's quite a jump, 100->90 sq. in. how did you transition?

I'd agree with what you say. I used the first PD and found while I could send down a big bomb nevertheless opponents could read it and I delivered it without much work on the ball. It was frustrating. Dare Isay it (and in no way am I drawing a comparison with me) people read Roddick's big serve and return it as well.

I use the RDS 001 MP so it's the 98 sq. in. version and it still delivers a big bomb however there is more work on the ball. And I haven't got slice or kick or topspin serves working yet. So once they come back (I've only started using teh 001 MP) I'll be doing well.

I'm finding the slightly thinner beam cuts through the air quicker than the constant thick beam of the PD. I'm also impressed by the dwell time on the 001 stringbed. The generous sweetspot allows more margin for error in judging the toss. More serves go in. Plus the squarish upper hoop contributes to smoothing out timing errors. The HL balance contributes to a fast swing and no hitch in the serve motion.

superstition
09-28-2006, 04:17 PM
But you gotta remember, it's the player and their technique that makes an awesome serve, not the racquet.
which is why some pros are still using wood. :mrgreen:

It's true, though, that Tilden had a big serve with a 1920s wood racquet. He was very strong physically, though, and had an especially great technique.

travlerajm
09-29-2006, 12:32 AM
I like to use the SGPR rating (Serve/Groundstroke Power Ratio) to tell how good a racquet will be for serves.

To calculate the SGPR rating, I use the formula SGPR = 8*[R - 44.6/sqrt(M)], with R = balance in inches, and M = weight in ounces.

The higher the SGPR rating, the more powerful the racquet is for serves.

The average top-100 ATP pro has an SGPR rating of zero.

Sampras' racquet had an SGPR rating of +4.5.
Agassi's racquet had an SGPR rating of +3.
Safin's racquet has an SGPR rating of +1.5.

A Pure Drive Roddick Plus has an SGRP of +1.

An RDS001 mid has SGPR of -4.
An RDS001 mp has SGPR of -7.

As you can see, the RDS racquets are crappy for serving if left in stock from.

bertrevert
09-29-2006, 02:03 AM
travlerajm we're going to have you go metric one day...

Anyway my RDS 001 MP is 315g and balance point is 310 mm according to the frame information on the side, so that equals 11.11 oz and 12.20 inches

I cannot do the equation because what is sqrt in it?

chess9
09-29-2006, 09:04 AM
I like to use the SGPR rating (Serve/Groundstroke Power Ratio) to tell how good a racquet will be for serves.

To calculate the SGPR rating, I use the formula SGPR = 8*[R - 44.6/sqrt(M)], with R = balance in inches, and M = weight in ounces.

Yes, they are. I love the feel of it on ground strokes, but it stinks on serve. I'm going to buy one and play with the weighting a bit and hope that adding lead doesn't screw it up too much.

-Robert

Ripper
09-29-2006, 10:28 AM
Theres MUCH more to playing tennis than serving bombs.

dewey2110
09-29-2006, 12:36 PM
True, but serving IS important, and this happens to be a thread about serving...so I think its completely reasonable to discuss about how a certain racquet does in service here.

nn
09-30-2006, 03:16 PM
Wow that's quite a jump, 100->90 sq. in. how did you transition?

I'd agree with what you say. I used the first PD and found while I could send down a big bomb nevertheless opponents could read it and I delivered it without much work on the ball. It was frustrating. Dare Isay it (and in no way am I drawing a comparison with me) people read Roddick's big serve and return it as well.

I use the RDS 001 MP so it's the 98 sq. in. version and it still delivers a big bomb however there is more work on the ball. And I haven't got slice or kick or topspin serves working yet. So once they come back (I've only started using teh 001 MP) I'll be doing well.

I'm finding the slightly thinner beam cuts through the air quicker than the constant thick beam of the PD. I'm also impressed by the dwell time on the 001 stringbed. The generous sweetspot allows more margin for error in judging the toss. More serves go in. Plus the squarish upper hoop contributes to smoothing out timing errors. The HL balance contributes to a fast swing and no hitch in the serve motion.

I figure out before switching to RDS 001 MID because on PD+ string wear pattern was exactly in center. So I knew 90 or 98 won't make difference. I like 90 so much compare to 98 (like day and night difference) and ended up buying 90 without any question in my mind.

I think it also depend on player to player but if you have similar wear pattern and feel PD+ creates problem on groundies time to switch

chess9
09-30-2006, 11:54 PM

Actually, my pro has been telling me the same thing. He uses the Yonex racquets. :) But, he says at my age I should stop expecting to hit aces with speed but use placement primarily. I have found, however, that if you serve bombs it feeds over into the rest of the game. Some guys fold if they are faced with a hard server, probably thinking that puts too much pressure on their service game.

I don't know, I see good arguments for both positions....

-Robert

cys19
10-01-2006, 04:10 PM

mmmmmmm

bertrevert
10-01-2006, 06:48 PM

You recommend the following for the Mid
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1161058&postcount=77

With my MP I put 2g at the butt, and 3g at 10.30 and 1.30 in the hoop. You recommend adding 20-30g lead at these positions but it would be too heavy for me.

What would you recommend for the MP to improve serve specifically?

Rexking
12-10-2008, 08:32 AM
travlerajm we're going to have you go metric one day...

Anyway my RDS 001 MP is 315g and balance point is 310 mm according to the frame information on the side, so that equals 11.11 oz and 12.20 inches

I cannot do the equation because what is sqrt in it?
I would like to know the answer to that too.

NickC
12-10-2008, 09:17 AM
I would like to know the answer to that too.

Seriously...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/eldiablojoe/OldThreadAlert.jpg

Rexking
12-10-2008, 09:20 AM
Seriously...

Doesn't mean there are no useful infos in here.

nikosrf
12-10-2008, 01:07 PM
I found RDS001MP to be very control frame. It lacks the plow through (small swingweight) so lacks 1st power serve. But has very good spin, manoeverability and control.

Someone said tha RDS001 is flexy. No is not. It just plays more flexy that it indicates.

And Dementieva is (i think) #5.

goosala
12-10-2008, 05:08 PM
The RDS001 allows for good flat serves but the open pattern gives good spin on kick and slices too. I recently switched from a flexible frame to the RDS001 mid and of course the additional stiffness added speed to my serve. I lost some speed with my Donnay Pro One but got a higher percentage in with it. The open pattern of the Yonex works well with my serve. I like serving with it better than my old Tour 90 or K90. The only frame I serve better with was the PS85.

jmverdugo
12-10-2008, 05:48 PM
I have used the RDS001MP for about 3 years, it is really good for serving when I am serving good, however it is horrible for serves when I am having a bad day serving. ;)

pow
12-10-2008, 07:07 PM
It's always easy to blame the frame, Joachim Johannson uses a Yonex but everyone likes to only bring up Hewitt and Nalbandian when talking about this racquet holding them back.

nikosrf
12-11-2008, 02:07 AM
First of all.
RDS001 Mid and Mp are different frames. They play different. The MP is stiffer and lighter. The Mid is heavier and less stiff. Both have biger sweet spot that their Head sizes indicate

0d1n
12-11-2008, 12:29 PM
I've used 3 Yonex frames. The RD-7 which was a monster on serves and ground strokes, the RDS mid, very good serving racket, and the RDS MP ...which is also good at serving IMO.
Slightly behind the other 2 maybe, but it may have been due to the fact that my timing was off (slightly lower weight/SW than my regular rackets).
I also think Nalbandian and Hewitt actually have very good (and underrated) serves considering their height and physical abilities.
They both serve better than Nadal ...for example ...and he's an athletic guy using a Babolat frame....go figure.
Dementieva serves like sh1t because her technique is cr4p...the fact that she's still a top 10 caliber player is really a testament to her game off the ground and her movement considering her shocking serve (for a pro).
She did work hard @ it this year though ...and some improvements are already showing.

Schills
12-11-2008, 12:35 PM
I switched from the PDR to the 001MP. My serve is better from a placement perspective, and I'm not finding diminished power. The rackets weigh the same, although the PDR was stiffer. So in theory the PDR should give more power, but on a stroke like the serve, where the player can generate a lot of power anyway, I don't think the PDR power advantage is realized as much as on ground strokes.

I had the same question for my brother who's a 5.5 player before I switched, and he swore up and down that on the serve, power will come from technique more than the racket. He of course proved it by blasting aces past me left and right with his POG mid.

AndrewD
12-11-2008, 12:41 PM
My serve was reasonably good with the RDS-001 MP. Power and spin were more than sufficient, control was very good. The only area it fell down was one of personal taste. The bigger the head size of a racquet the more flex I prefer and the RDS-001 MP was just a bit too stiff for my liking.