PDA

View Full Version : Best racquet after several years of stop

piepo72
09-26-2006, 11:46 PM
Hi,
I have just joined the forum and the thread topic it self explanatory on the reasons behind it!!! I quitted tennis in 1998 and I fell in love with the tennis court again just two months ago. :mrgreen:

I need a good advise on the racquet to use after several years without playing tennis.

I have currently a Prince Thunderbolt MP and I am taking lessons from a teacher...to restart the engine properly. To be honest I am at a very novice level, but the Thunderbolt seems too powerful to me (the feeling is to retain the swing and my own power too much). My fear is that, while I am taking lessons, it would be better to play with a less forgiving and powerful racquet than the Thunderbolt...am I right? Just to enhance my shot sharpness and control! :confused:

The issue is that I am currently living in Kuwait and the demo concept is not part of the culture. Therefore, I have to blindly purchase a new racquet without testing it. Additional issue...not plenty of choice: Prince, Wilson, Tecnofibre, Head, Dunlop.

What do you suggest? ;)

OrangeOne
09-27-2006, 12:03 AM
Hi,
I have just joined the forum and the thread topic it self explanatory on the reasons behind it!!! I quitted tennis in 1998 and I fell in love with the tennis court again just two months ago. :mrgreen:

I need a good advise on the racquet to use after several years without playing tennis.

I have currently a Prince Thunderbolt MP and I am taking lessons from a teacher...to restart the engine properly. To be honest I am at a very novice level, but the Thunderbolt seems too powerful to me (the feeling is to retain the swing and my own power too much). My fear is that, while I am taking lessons, it would be better to play with a less forgiving and powerful racquet than the Thunderbolt...am I right? Just to enhance my shot sharpness and control! :confused:

The issue is that I am currently living in Kuwait and the demo concept is not part of the culture. Therefore, I have to blindly purchase a new racquet without testing it. Additional issue...not plenty of choice: Prince, Wilson, Tecnofibre, Head, Dunlop.

What do you suggest? ;)

Demo the old way? If choice is limited.... many people there must use similar racquets? Borrow as many as you can and try those - your coach, maybe other students, maybe club-mates or hitting partners. It's *always* better to play with a racquet first...

If not - make sure you pick mainstream models from the suggestions that you get (most will be anyways), and keep them in great condition for the first few hits - if you hate them you should be able to offload them and try again. It's the more expensive demo option....

piepo72
09-27-2006, 12:23 AM
Thanks OrangeOne,
I have actually started already the hunt for the new racquet testing the teacher's tools! A Wilson Hyper Pro Staff 5.0 MP...great shots, much control...but stiff like hell...my elbow was aching after more than 1 hour! Second test, Wilson Ncode Six One Team (the same as nPS 95 in the US marjet). Unfortunately, the second one has not been tested too long...just 30' but the feeling was better than the HPS 5.0.

piepo72
09-27-2006, 12:46 AM
Moreover, what I am really afraid of is to use a racquet (the thunderbolt) too easy and forgiving which will not let me improve my tecnique. It will probably tend to cover my basic gaps through its wide headsize (100 sq in) and length (28 ")!

haerdalis
09-27-2006, 12:49 AM
Stay away from the 5.0.

piepo72
09-27-2006, 12:57 AM
The teacher tried to sell it to me...he had a spare one...already sent back!!!
I agree on your advice!

What about the nPS 95?