PDA

View Full Version : FYI Lux and tension loss

BaseLineBash
09-27-2006, 01:11 AM
I just thought I'd write about my experience with ALU and maybe help someone out. I use a POG OS and when I first started playing around with Lux ALU 16L I strung mid to mid high tension and it was great. I found my range almost right away and I could hit a big ball without worry, but within 6-8 hours on the strings I started to lose my range. They were still playable up to about 4 weeks with my range diminishing more and more quickly. Since then I have been stringing in the highest recommended numbers and haven't looked back since, the tension still diminishes quickly, but within 4 week spans I keep a better range as it falls and in turn I get more out of my strings. If you're a flat to moderate top hitter and hit a big ball on both wings I suggest going with high tensions if you want your game to stay clean for a longer period of time. By the way, I string straight.

Coach Reed
09-27-2006, 01:45 AM
I use a POG OS and when I first started playing around with Lux ALU 16L I strung mid to mid high tension and it was great. If you're a flat to moderate top hitter and hit a big ball on both wings I suggest going with high tensions if you want your game to stay clean for a longer period of time. By the way, I string straight.

I customize Babolat Pure control team standard racquets for a 7.0 player. He used to play with the Head i.prestige MP at high tension with ALU 16L. He developed an elbow problem that took him off the tour for 6 months.

F.Y.I. Now that he has fully recovered he uses ALU 16L mains and Natty gut crosses closer to mid tension and has had no more adverse effects.

BaseLineBash
09-27-2006, 01:53 AM
I customize Babolat Pure control team standard racquets for a 7.0 player. He used to play with the Head i.prestige MP at high tension with ALU 16L. He developed an elbow problem that took him off the tour for 6 months.

F.Y.I. Now that he has fully recovered he uses ALU 16L mains and Natty gut crosses closer to mid tension and has had no more adverse effects.
When you quoted me, you left out "my experience".

Coach Reed
09-27-2006, 01:59 AM
Didn't you already post your experience in the initial thread?

onkystomper
09-27-2006, 02:10 AM
I had BB original strung at 60 lbs in my pure storm it was nice apart from my arm felt like it was going to fall off m:)

BaseLineBash
09-27-2006, 02:15 AM
Oops. Sorry.
Get bent "Coach".

Coach Reed
09-27-2006, 02:32 AM
Get bent "Coach".

Whatever.

BaseLineBash
09-27-2006, 02:43 AM
Is that the best you can do???

Let's hear how you really feel and we'll see if you can get yourself banned from these boards for life.
LOL, that's short for Laughing Out Loud old man. You missrepresented MY opinion, then were a jackass when I pointed it out to you. And another thing, just because you string or "coach" for a 7.0 player doesn't mean much to me because in reality you're probably some 70 year old dude stringing or coaching for some 65 year old doubles player that plays for a regional league where all the folks put down 5.0 to 7.0 because of their "experience" when in fact they are 2.0 to 3.5.

brtennis
09-27-2006, 05:08 AM
Get bent "Coach"

What does that mean?

Ripper
09-27-2006, 06:22 AM
Since then I have been stringing in the highest recommended numbers and haven't looked back since, the tension still diminishes quickly, but within 4 week spans I keep a better range as it falls and in turn I get more out of my strings.

The thing is, BaseLineBash, you're falling into a viscious cycle, unconsciously. Keep this in mind: the tighter you string polys, the faster they lose tension.

Coach Reed
09-27-2006, 08:39 AM
LOL, that's short for Laughing Out Loud old man. You missrepresented MY opinion, then were a jackass when I pointed it out to you. And another thing, just because you string or "coach" for a 7.0 player doesn't mean much to me because in reality you're probably some 70 year old dude stringing or coaching for some 65 year old doubles player that plays for a regional league where all the folks put down 5.0 to 7.0 because of their "experience" when in fact they are 2.0 to 3.5.

A 7.0 player is a world class player earning a living by touring on a pro circuit. I don't coach him, I just customize his racquets and helped him solve the ALU string dilema that he thought was going to end his career.
Later.

BaseLineBash
09-27-2006, 01:24 PM
I'm sorry BaseLineBash, I guess it's just different strokes for different folks.
It's about time.

jackson vile
09-28-2006, 11:17 AM
The thing is, BaseLineBash, you're falling into a viscious cycle, unconsciously. Keep this in mind: the tighter you string polys, the faster they lose tension.

I have never heard of this, can you explain?

Bottle Rocket
09-28-2006, 11:27 AM
Kind of like a rubberband... If you stretch a rubberband, it will get stretched out.

I have always wondered if the trade-offs were worth it. If you string low tension loss is low. If you string high tension loss is higher, but where will they both even out? Does stretching of them/tension loss degrade their performance? There are a lot of things to consider.

Its hard to say but I dropped a couple lbs with Luxilon... No a month later it feels absolutely DEAD and is painful. It never got so bad with a slightly higher initial tension.

jackson vile
09-28-2006, 11:35 AM
Kind of like a rubberband... If you stretch a rubberband, it will get stretched out.

I have always wondered if the trade-offs were worth it. If you string low tension loss is low. If you string high tension loss is higher, but where will they both even out? Does stretching of them/tension loss degrade their performance? There are a lot of things to consider.

Its hard to say but I dropped a couple lbs with Luxilon... No a month later it feels absolutely DEAD and is painful. It never got so bad with a slightly higher initial tension.

From what I have gathered 4 weeks is about as long as polys are playable?

But perhaps if you put in a more lively string it would not feel so dead at this point?

Why don't you just use another poly, the only reason I would ever use Lux is for the teflon.

What other poly use teflon in them?

BaseLineBash
09-28-2006, 11:37 PM

I'm not sure, I was just saying that when I string higher I have more usable tension to play with. They are expensive strings so I want to hit at the end as I did from the begining without making major adjustments in my swing or preparation, so when the tension starts to diminish it's still within my hitting range for a longer period of time.

AJK1
09-28-2006, 11:51 PM
Just ignore BaseLineBash, he's just an Agassi fanboy who uses everything Agassi did, what a wanker!