PDA

View Full Version : Head Prestige: who likes what?

Tennis Man
09-27-2006, 07:11 AM
What version do you guys have and which you think play better and so on?

A bit of Prestige history:
-----------------------
mid-80s - Prestige Midplus (gold-tone color, first Prestige made by Head, made in Austria); RARE
late-80s - Prestige Pro (brown frame, made in Austria);
early-90s - Prestige 600 (silver color, made in Austria)
late 90s - Prestige Classic 600 (maroon red, made in Austria, finished in Czech Republic)
2003 - Head i.Prestige (silver, made in Austria, finished in Czech Republic)
2004 - Head LM Prestige (maroon red, made in Austria, finished in Czech Republic)
2005 - Head FXP Prestige (maroon red, made in CHINA)

I intend to collect them all. So far I own only LM Prestige and I fell in love with it as soon as I started playing with it. It's just perfect for me in all areas, especially at the baseline and serving.

I know some people called it "garbage" and hate Prestiges altogether and/or prefer the Classic versions only. I also saw some opinions in numeric formats like PC600 >...> i.Prestige > LM Prestige > FXP Prestige and vice versa. What is your opinion?

jace112
09-27-2006, 07:47 AM
I was the one posting the formula :
PC600 >...> i.Prestige > LM Prestige > FXP Prestige
and I still believe in it :D

BTW, you should reduce the pics size!

Tennis Man
09-27-2006, 08:04 AM
I was the one posting the formula :
PC600 >...> i.Prestige > LM Prestige > FXP Prestige
and I still believe in it :D

Thanks, maybe you'll tell us why?

BTW, you should reduce the pics size!
is this better?

well,

jace112
09-27-2006, 08:11 AM
I was just comparing the feedback provided by these frames. I feel the ball much better with the Classic than the others. It's more predictable. Even more stable but less powerful. The FXP lacks of control compared to the PC (IMHO). It's just a very personal thought, because I just play for fun with the Prestige and other mids. I don't have the skills required to hit like Safin does with his PC...

War, Safin!
09-27-2006, 09:29 AM
I have two: Prestige Classic 600 mid and LiquidMetal Prestige mid (both strung with Babolat Tonic+ 17 gut @60lb and with 10g of leadtape at 3 and 9 o'clock).
The 'feel' of the PC600 is better but that's about it - when it comes to power and control for serves/groundstrokes, then the LM is tops.

Tennis Man
09-27-2006, 09:32 AM
I have two: Prestige Classic 600 mid and LiquidMetal Prestige mid (both strung with Babolat Tonic+ 17 gut @60lb and with 10g of leadtape at 3 and 9 o'clock).
The 'feel' of the PC600 is better but that's about it - when it comes to power and control for serves/groundstrokes, then the LM is tops.

Hey, I'm thinking of getting a new PC600 now, wait for Anniversary addition (Jan 07) or look for a used PC600 for a test. What would you recommend?

vsbabolat
09-27-2006, 10:51 AM
Hey, I'm thinking of getting a new PC600 now, wait for Anniversary addition (Jan 07) or look for a used PC600 for a test. What would you recommend?

Raefaello,
I have a very strong belief that the anniversary edition of the Prestige will be outsourced and made in China like the Radical Tour 260 Agassi limited edition is. If you want to make sure you get a "real" Prestige Classic 600 that was made by HEAD in Kennelbach, Austria and finished in Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic I would buy one now.

As how the PC600 compares to the LM Prestige. I find that the PC600 was better in every way over the LM Prestige. The Prestige Classic 600 has better feel, better control, better stability, more forgiving, and as far as power goes I did not see a noticeable differnece.

Tennis Man
09-27-2006, 11:50 AM
Raefaello,
I have a very strong belief that the anniversary edition of the Prestige will be outsourced and made in China like the Radical Tour 260 Agassi limited edition is. If you want to make sure you get a "real" Prestige Classic 600 that was made by HEAD in Kennelbach, Austria and finished in Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic I would buy one now.

As how the PC600 compares to the LM Prestige. I find that the PC600 was better in every way over the LM Prestige. The Prestige Classic 600 has better feel, better control, better stability, more forgiving, and as far as power goes I did not see a noticeable differnece.

Thanks, I was about to do so. I wonder why and when TW raised the prices for PC 600. The used to be $129.99 . Now they are $179.99 all of the sudden.
anybody knows?

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=86798&highlight=pc+600

tennis_star42
09-27-2006, 12:51 PM
i guess i'm the only that loves the fxp prestige (based on the opinions not the votes, i wonder why so many people voted for the fxp but didnt express their opinion on it). i've been using this racquet for 6 months now. it was difficult getting adjusted to it because i usually played with lighter frames with more power but once i got used to it my whole game improved especially my serve.

Tennis Man
09-27-2006, 01:56 PM
i guess i'm the only that loves the fxp prestige (based on the opinions not the votes, i wonder why so many people voted for the fxp but didnt express their opinion on it). i've been using this racquet for 6 months now. it was difficult getting adjusted to it because i usually played with lighter frames with more power but once i got used to it my whole game improved especially my serve.

How do you like it so far? Have you played with other Prestiges? Do you feeling the effect of Flexpoint?

From what I've seen so far, FXP is the least popular version, but I can't be a judge here. I'm yet to playtest it. SOOON.

Offshore
09-27-2006, 02:09 PM
I have hit on occassion with the iPrestige and LM Prestige and (after a many month, gruelling, longer than expected demo period) I have recently committed to the FXP Prestige MP. IMO it plays similar to the iPrestige in its swingweight and stiffness, but I don't have the actual numbers to back that up....it just feels that way. I really enjoyed hitting with the LM version as it had a great feel and nice flex. Great control as expected but sometimes a little underpowered (but nothing a little tweaking to the string setup could not cure). I like the FXP version alot. It swings a little lighter and is more "crisp". I can stick volleys better with this frame and it is very maneuverable. Much better power on demand without sacrificing much control. This frame is not quite as comfortable as the LM version but overall it is my top pick and frame of choice for the next few years. I hope this helps.

vsbabolat
09-27-2006, 02:10 PM
Thanks, I was about to do so. I wonder why and when TW raised the prices for PC 600. The used to be $129.99 . Now they are $179.99 all of the sudden.
anybody knows?

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=86798&highlight=pc+600

When TW got this last special production run of Prestige Classic 600's in April they listed the price at $179.99. The last time the price was $129.99 was 3 years ago.

Tennis Man
09-27-2006, 02:16 PM
When TW got this last special production run of Prestige Classic 600's in April they listed the price at $179.99. The last time the price was $129.99 was 3 years ago.

I did attach the thread dated 02/2006 from TW:
"Phil - We are bringing in enough to see us through all, or most of 2006, so there should be ample opportunity for everyone to stock up. If sales go well, we will most likely bring in more for 2007. The price for the racquet will be $129.99.*

samster - The racquet is the Prestige Classic 600 (Mid), not the 660 (Midplus).

As with the previous batch of Prestige Classics we brought in, the racquets are made in Austria, finished in the Czech Republic - HEADís two remaining European factories.

Chris, TW.

* This price is not guaranteed, and is based on future availability by HEAD."

vsbabolat
09-27-2006, 02:25 PM
What happend was, That was before TW got the news that this would be the last batch of racquets out of Kennelbach. Therefore TW made the decision to raise the price when they got them in April. There was a lot of very upset and angry people on this forum and they let Don have it. Go to page 8, post number 117 and you will get from TW.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=86798&page=8&highlight=pc+600

Tennis Man
09-27-2006, 02:52 PM
What happend was, That was before TW got the news that this would be the last batch of racquets out of Kennelbach. Therefore TW made the decision to raise the price when they got them in April. There was a lot of very upset and angry people on this forum and they let Don have it. Go to page 8, thread number 117 and you will get from TW.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=86798&page=8&highlight=pc+600

Wow, that's crazy. There is a nice discussion to follow. Luckily I found another place that sells them just a bit cheaper but no sizes left. How do you find the size of a handle on it compared to other frames? I use 3/8, is 1/2 going to be too big for me?

vsbabolat
09-27-2006, 03:01 PM
I always thought that the HEAD shape felt smaller than the Wilson shape. However if you would take a tape measure and measure both they would be the same. You might get away with the 4 1/2.

Tennis Man
09-27-2006, 03:29 PM
I always thought that the HEAD shape felt smaller than the Wilson shape. However if you would take a tape measure and measure both they would be the same. You might get away with the 4 1/2.

I tried to play with nCode 6.1 95, size 1/2 with overgrip and felt it a bit big for me. All my racquets are 3/8 but my PS85 with overwrap is bigger than my LM with overwrap. Maybe it's b/c of Wilson grip? I changed it on my PS85 to MicroDry but wrapped it really tight.

tennis_star42
09-27-2006, 04:33 PM
How do you like it so far? Have you played with other Prestiges? Do you feeling the effect of Flexpoint?

From what I've seen so far, FXP is the least popular version, but I can't be a judge here. I'm yet to playtest it. SOOON.

this is the only prestige i've ever tried, so i can't comment on the other ones. if you liked the lm prestige you should definetly try the fxp prestige because a guy at my club plays with the lm prestige and the fxp and he prefers the fxp.

Tennis Man
09-27-2006, 10:01 PM
Well, it makes sense that FXP is the mainstream big-selling Prestige b/c there is no more other versions sold (other than rare PC 600).

I'll be getting them both soon. Head i.Prestige would be more difficult to get though.