PDA

View Full Version : noob looking for advice... demo'ed some racquets

shiyan
09-27-2006, 02:11 PM
Hi everyone, this seems like a great board, hope you can help a noob out.

My question comes down to whether I should buy a racquet that I play well with now (power oriented), or a racquet which forces me to concentrate on my technique to play well (control oriented).

some background info:

I started playing this summer, had about 50 hours of coaching so far. I think I'm at NTRP 3.0 or so.

I demo'ed a bunch of racquets that my coach suggested (he also works at the local sports megastore Decathlon's tennis department), and am left with 2~3 racquets to choose from.

Babolat Drive Z Lite: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCBAB-ZLITE.html

This seems to be the racquet with which I currently play the best with. Due to my sometimes inadequate swing preparation I end up with a short swing, but it's not a big problem with this racquet due to how much power it has.

It seems very stiff and head heavy, I think I'd like it more if some weight was added to make it more balanced. Is that what the Pure Drive Team is like? I saw some Pure Drive Team racquets selling at 30% discount...

Wilson nFury MP: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-NFURY.html

I seem to have a lot more control and feel with this racquet compared to the Babolat, but it is much lower in power. I currently hit a lot of balls short, probably due to my inadequate swing.

I like both racquets, although if I had to play a match right now I'd take the Babolat. Another racquet I liked was the Head FXP Radical Team, which was probably somewhere between the 2.

I'm wondering which racquet I should choose... thanks a lot for your input!

Milano
09-27-2006, 04:26 PM
I am in the same situation. What racquet do you use now? If you want a cheap one, I am selling a head intellignce s10 (one brand new, one used). Otherwise I would looking into the babolat pure drive roddick, if you want a heavier racquet which has some of both, control and power.

p0w3r
09-27-2006, 04:37 PM
If you are set on spending 170 on the Babolat, i would recomend you to go get the Babolat Pure Drive instead as that is a powerful racquet too, but you will be able to use it as you get better where the Z lite you can only use untill you get around the 3.0-3.5 level where it will become too light and powerful.

zhan
09-27-2006, 04:44 PM
n6.1 4 life yo
get that shiet like its hot

shiyan
09-28-2006, 04:33 AM
I am in the same situation. What racquet do you use now? If you want a cheap one, I am selling a head intellignce s10 (one brand new, one used). Otherwise I would looking into the babolat pure drive roddick, if you want a heavier racquet which has some of both, control and power.
at the moment I'm using an oversized racquet from the sport megastore's own brand

inferno303
09-28-2006, 04:46 AM
n6.1 4 life yo
get that shiet like its hot

lol for somebody who doesn't like how it looks...
it is good though, i almost got it
but for a n00b nfury sounds about right

shiyan
09-28-2006, 05:05 AM
If you are set on spending 170 on the Babolat, i would recomend you to go get the Babolat Pure Drive instead as that is a powerful racquet too, but you will be able to use it as you get better where the Z lite you can only use untill you get around the 3.0-3.5 level where it will become too light and powerful.
I'll give that racquet a demo too then...

I'm not set on buying the Babolat though, just not sure whether I should get a racquet that suits me now or one that might suit me better later on

shiyan
09-28-2006, 05:06 AM
lol for somebody who doesn't like how it looks...
it is good though, i almost got it
but for a n00b nfury sounds about right
I've been able to find the n6.1 Tour and n6.1 Team, but not the regular n6.1 :)

inferno303
09-28-2006, 05:14 AM
is that something to be happy about?
the team is considerably easier to use coz of its weight but its still got a 95 head

shiyan
09-28-2006, 05:15 AM
is that something to be happy about?
actually, not at all :neutral:

inferno303
09-28-2006, 05:59 AM
yeah but that racket's more for ppl with psycho L6 swings... lyk me ;)

shiyan
09-28-2006, 06:38 AM
yeah for the moment it's not a big deal, once I've become a more experienced player I could always ask for it to be ordered or something

Jesse K.
09-28-2006, 06:41 AM
I know a lot of people disagree with me on this, but I firmly believe in some type of "players" racquet for people like yourself. The idea of starting with an oversized overpowered racquet to compensate for lack of stroke is insane. The only place I really see a benefit to these types of racqets are for older people who truly can not generate their own pace. So my advice is go with a racquet closer to a players racquet and work on your technique to overcome an intial lack of power.

shiyan
09-28-2006, 06:46 AM
I know a lot of people disagree with me on this, but I firmly believe in some type of "players" racquet for people like yourself. The idea of starting with an oversized overpowered racquet to compensate for lack of stroke is insane. The only place I really see a benefit to these types of racqets are for older people who truly can not generate their own pace. So my advice is go with a racquet closer to a players racquet and work on your technique to overcome an intial lack of power.
thanks, I'll go hit some more balls at the practice wall with the nFury to see if it feels any better :D

p0w3r
09-28-2006, 04:48 PM
I agree to a certian point....i really stated to get better when i moved on to the LM Radical from my giant oversize light racquet. However, it took me A LONG time to adjust and i was loosing a lot of matches for a few months...but in the end it did work out. So i would say a racquet like a Pure Drive would be best since its powerful but still has more player's racquet qualities.