PDA

View Full Version : First time GUT, which KLIP for an hybrid?

Virgilio
09-27-2006, 02:36 PM
Hello anybody, I decided to give GUT a try, and in order to have my first experience with gut I thought about an hybrid with some Klip strings and a GOSEN OG Sheep Micro 16g. The point is, which Klip gut to get? I know I have to get a coated one in order to improve durability, so what's the best choice between Klip Armour Pro or Klip Legend?

NoBadMojo
09-27-2006, 03:10 PM
I would use the regular Legend gut for starters in a hybrid. I dont recommend the ArmourPro in hybrids as it would out durable the cross string assuming you are putting the gut in the mains.

Richie Rich
09-27-2006, 03:13 PM
i've used klip legend (in klip's pre-packaged hybrids screamer and x-plosive) and it's a nice string. you will be happy with klip mains and og sheep as a cross. i prefer the klip gut to anything else just based on the price vs performance aspect - for the money klip is the best gut, IMO of course.

monologuist
09-27-2006, 04:00 PM
I would use the regular Legend gut for starters in a hybrid. I dont recommend the ArmourPro in hybrids as it would out durable the cross string assuming you are putting the gut in the mains.
NBMJ, are you saying that with a hybrid with ArmourPro mains and a synthetic gut cross (let's say a mono like Gosen Micro), that you would expect the synthetic crosses to break before the Armour Pro mains?

I'm not a big string breaker in general, so I guess it doesn't matter that much, just curious about your experiences with this.

BTW, are you using Armour Pro in your DNX 9 or regular Legend?

NoBadMojo
09-27-2006, 04:29 PM
NBMJ, are you saying that with a hybrid with ArmourPro mains and a synthetic gut cross (let's say a mono like Gosen Micro), that you would expect the synthetic crosses to break before the Armour Pro mains?

I'm not a big string breaker in general, so I guess it doesn't matter that much, just curious about your experiences with this.

BTW, are you using Armour Pro in your DNX 9 or regular Legend?

Mono, yes I broke the Excellerator crosses first in one of my frames with Armourpro in the mains (I never break crosses first) As an experiment, I restrung the crosses only with Excellerator crosses (taking the correct precautions) but didnt play the frame until failure. I noticed the coating of the ArmourPro was notched when I restrung, but the gut hadnt even yet begun to fray. I would think most would also break the OG sheep crosses first if thinner gauge, and thats why i recommended ArmourPro be strung non hybrid.. I like the Armourpro for many reasons and would be happy to use it except it's heavier in weight and i noticed the extra weight in the head of my DNX9's which I didnt want.
I am happily using Legend mains and Excellerator crosses in most of my frames and the mains fray and break before the crosses with this setup.

bcaz
09-27-2006, 08:31 PM
Mojo -- other than cost, what do you like the most about the Legend mains with the multi crosses as opposed to an all-Legend job?

NoBadMojo
09-28-2006, 07:48 AM
bcaz, it started out as an experiment because people on the forum kept insisting you couldnt use a multi in a hybrid with gut. they thought the gut would eat up the multi or something like that. i didnt see why this would be. turned out i enjoyed the ball feel this way better than all gut, the tension maintenance is better than with OG sheep or Duraflex so the stringbed doesnt turn soggy before the strings break, and the setup is a bit less powerful, so i can afford to string lower which further expands the sweetspot. I wouldnt recommend a multi which doesnt hold tension reasonably well or a soft playing multi

Virgilio
09-28-2006, 09:12 AM
Are the mains the ones that run orizontally? In an hybrid, should I have gut orizontally and syn guy vertically?

thevillageidiot
10-01-2006, 10:16 AM
Are the mains the ones that run orizontally? In an hybrid, should I have gut orizontally and syn guy vertically?

mains run vertically