PDA

View Full Version : First stringing with SPPP 17g

TonyB
09-27-2006, 05:22 PM
My first impression: wow, this stuff is like wire! First off, I can't believe people actually like this stuff. It's very hard to handle and is tough to work with in tight spaces. This stuff better play like magic, otherwise I'm steering well clear of it from now on!

I had two racquets strung at the same tension using Gosen OG SM 17g. Both had been "well-played." They both had the exact same sound when struck on the stringbed. I originally strung them at 45 lb., so I would assume that they were down below that tension since I could definitely hear a lower pitch after a few days of playing. Probably below 40 lb., I would guess.

So, I proceeded to string up the SPPP at the SAME INITIAL TENSION (45 lb.) as the original string (Gosen OG SM 17). I expected it to sound higher pitched than the other racquet, since the other racquet had several hours of play time on it and the strings were Gosen, as I said. Well, lo and behold, the SPPP actually has a LOWER pitched sound when the stringbed is struck.

Can someone tell me why this would be? I really wanted a TIGHTER stringbed than the other racquet, which is why I decided not to string the SPPP at the recommended 10% lower tension. But if my ears are any judge, I've actually got a LOWER tension than the other racquet that has had several hours of playtime on it already!

The only thing I can think is that this stuff is so damn stiff that any small amount of slippage or "recovery" during stringing automatically lowers the setpoint tension at least a few pounds. Is it possible that I should have strung the SPPP with a HIGHER initial tension?

Midlife crisis
09-29-2006, 12:49 PM
So, I proceeded to string up the SPPP at the SAME INITIAL TENSION (45 lb.) as the original string (Gosen OG SM 17). I expected it to sound higher pitched than the other racquet, since the other racquet had several hours of play time on it and the strings were Gosen, as I said. Well, lo and behold, the SPPP actually has a LOWER pitched sound when the stringbed is struck.

Can someone tell me why this would be? I really wanted a TIGHTER stringbed than the other racquet, which is why I decided not to string the SPPP at the recommended 10% lower tension. But if my ears are any judge, I've actually got a LOWER tension than the other racquet that has had several hours of playtime on it already!

The only thing I can think is that this stuff is so damn stiff that any small amount of slippage or "recovery" during stringing automatically lowers the setpoint tension at least a few pounds. Is it possible that I should have strung the SPPP with a HIGHER initial tension?

The vibrational frequency of a stringbed depends on the mass of what's vibrating. Since poly strings are among the most dense of strings out there, your poly stringbed will weigh more and vibrate at a lower frequency, even if the tension is the same as a lighter string.

TonyB
09-29-2006, 01:36 PM
Interesting point. It sounds reasonable to me.

I haven't hit with the racquet yet, but I've bounced some balls around in the garage (still raining outside). It feels much lower powered than any other string I've tried so far. So, even if the tension were much lower, I don't see it being a problem with respect to spraying shots.

It could very well be a great string. It's just a pain in the rump to put into the racquet! And because the string is so damn stiff, I'll bet I lost a lot of tension just tying the knots.

Midlife crisis
09-29-2006, 02:17 PM
Interesting point. It sounds reasonable to me.

I haven't hit with the racquet yet, but I've bounced some balls around in the garage (still raining outside). It feels much lower powered than any other string I've tried so far. So, even if the tension were much lower, I don't see it being a problem with respect to spraying shots.

It could very well be a great string. It's just a pain in the rump to put into the racquet! And because the string is so damn stiff, I'll bet I lost a lot of tension just tying the knots.

I don't know that it's possible to tell the power level of a string from just gently bouncing a ball on it. The string's power is going to be determined from its stiffness profile as tension increases. In other words, strings that get stiffer with smaller increases in deflection will be lowered powered. But at the impact forces you have just from bouncing a ball, the forces are too low to differentiate between one string and another.

It might just be that the frequency is lower or you feel the impact differently through the handle. It could also be that because its raining, the temps are colder and the ball is less bouncy. It'll take playing on a court to know for sure.

CheapStrings
09-29-2006, 03:55 PM
Why did you switch from the Gosen OG SM? The SPPP is a completely different type of string as you can tell from stringing it and you will have to play with it for a while to adjust your stroke to it. #1 it will have less power and feel but you will be able to hit out on your strokes with better control. I think the poly strings like SPPP are better for players that like to take a big rip at the ball.

Keifers
09-29-2006, 05:22 PM
I don't know that it's possible to tell the power level of a string from just gently bouncing a ball on it. The string's power is going to be determined from its stiffness profile as tension increases. In other words, strings that get stiffer with smaller increases in deflection will be lowered powered. But at the impact forces you have just from bouncing a ball, the forces are too low to differentiate between one string and another.

It might just be that the frequency is lower or you feel the impact differently through the handle. It could also be that because its raining, the temps are colder and the ball is less bouncy. It'll take playing on a court to know for sure.
Very well said. Makes complete sense.

TonyB
09-29-2006, 06:05 PM
Why did you switch from the Gosen OG SM? The SPPP is a completely different type of string

I liked the Gosen OGSM very much, indeed. I will definitely be buying more of that in the future.

However, when I bought my "variety pack" of string from TW, I only bought 2 packs of each type of string (Klip Kicker, Gosen OGSM, SPPP, Ashaway Dynamite, and Klip Venom). So, as you might guess, I'm all out of the Gosen. Also finished with the Kicker (nice string, but not as nice as the Gosen) and now I'm on to the SPPP.

No, I haven't broken 4 sets of string. But in the process of searching for the right tension (and practicing with my new stringing machine), I've been forced to cut out a couple of strings that I just didn't like (tension too high/too low, too harsh, etc.).

I'm actually HOPING that the SPPP is a lower-powered string, as the Gosen was actually too powerful for my game. Granted, I had it strung pretty low, but I could tell that the Gosen was very resilient and had a decent amount of power on its own. I'm hoping the SPPP is low powered, stiff, but since I strung it low, it should be reasonably comfortable and soft without having excessive power.

At least that's what I'm hoping for. If it doesn't work out that way, then I'm on to the Ashaway. :)

CheapStrings
09-29-2006, 07:57 PM
TonyB, I think you made an excellent choice in trying SPPP at a low tension first. I'm assuming that 45 lbs. is close to the bottom of your racquet's tension range. The bottom of my racquet's range is 55 and I've strung polys at 50 lbs when I had a bit of tennis elbow. Now I'm back to 62 lbs but the 50 lbs played pretty decently.

TonyB
09-30-2006, 06:28 PM
I played with the SPPP today. Wow! What a nice string!

Very comfortable feel, not harsh at all, really. Of course, after about 30 minutes of hard hitting, the stringbed really softened up a lot. I'm guessing I lost at least 3-5 lb. of tension by the end of the session, which was about 90 minutes of solid drilling. By that time, I was spraying quite a few shots.

But I do love the string. Just the right amount of power, not too little, but by no means would I ever consider this to be a power string. I had some nice control until the strings loosened up on me.

Next time if I go with 50 lb. instead of 45 lb. and I should be in business.

But man, this is a really, REALLY nice string. My arm actually feels BETTER after hitting with this string (in drills, no less) for 90 minutes than it did with any other string I've tried. Oh, and they don't move, either, even though they were strung very low, which is a nice plus. My strings are typically a total mess at the end of every single rally.