PDA

View Full Version : POG tension for synthetic gut

Bottle Rocket
09-27-2006, 06:26 PM
Hey guys....

Any recommendations for string tension in a POG oversize? Its a standard synthetic gut a friend has a reel off, he can quickly string it up for play tomorrow.

I just played it with some 10 year old strings and loved it, but I snapped them. I hit pretty good top spin off both sides, but am trying to play an all-court game and am playing tons of doubles lately.

60 lbs?

BaseLineBash
09-27-2006, 06:31 PM
Hey guys....

Any recommendations for string tension in a POG oversize? Its a standard synthetic gut a friend has a reel off, he can quickly string it up for play tomorrow.

I just played it with some 10 year old strings and loved it, but I snapped them. I hit pretty good top spin off both sides, but am trying to play an all-court game and am playing tons of doubles lately.

60 lbs?
I would recommend not stringing below mid-tension.

Bottle Rocket
09-27-2006, 06:32 PM
What is mid tension for this thing?

Is there any type of identification marking on this thing that I am overlooking?

Should I assume it matches all the specs of the new one sold on TW?

BaseLineBash
09-27-2006, 06:35 PM
What is mid tension for this thing?

Is there any type of identification marking on this thing that I am overlooking?

Should I assume it matches all the specs of the new one sold on TW?
Mid on the POG OS is 62lbs.

ramos
09-28-2006, 11:38 AM
I use 59 lbs - bab tonic. Good !

The Watchman
09-28-2006, 05:41 PM
I like my synth gut strung at a tension at which the main strings *just* move when I hit a heavy topspin shot (too much movement = too loose and I find too trampoliney, too little movement = too tight and too boardy).

I find that this tension is 63lbs using 16 gauge PSGD on a POG OS. (I hit with western gripped topspin forehand, two handed backhand.)

goosala
09-29-2006, 08:05 PM
If you are a hard hitter try the 65 to 70 lb. tension range.

bcsax123
09-29-2006, 08:36 PM
Since you are new to the racket string it at mid tensio (62) and then next time you string you can string it tighter or looser depending on your needs.

Also the sticker might say 72-80lbs, but for today's game, it should be at around 62lbs mid tension.