PDA

View Full Version : Blown away by the Ti-80.

Tikiman53
09-27-2006, 06:33 PM
Hi. I recently had to choose between a Yonex Ti-80 and RDX 500 MP. I randomly chose the Ti-80, and boy, was that a lucky choice. This racquet is superb. I strung it with Prince syn. gut at 58 lbs, and it took a while for me to get comfortable(a couple hours of play), but today, I was really hitting well. My serves had tons of spin. I revolved my second serves around topspin serves and slice serves, and both were efficient. My first serve was also excellent.

And man, my one handed backhand was waaay better than it normally is with other racquets. It was so whippy and had a good mix of topspin and pace. My forehand was also good. I could do a forehand with lots of top, or I could just blast it flat.

I know there have been lots of threads about this racquet in the past, but I urge you guys, if you haven't tried this racquet, and are looking for a new one, DEMO THIS!!!

Oh, and I also loved the feel. I liked how it was crisp and precise, not mushy. But don't get me wrong, it's still really solid, and i don't have any arm probs with it.
But make sure you use a vib. dampener. It feels a lot better with one.

armand
09-27-2006, 07:40 PM
It's Yonex's longest remaining model for a reason! It's a nice, solid, no nonsense stick.
Great specs too: a light 315 SW but not too headlight at 8pts and only 12.1 ounces.

fielders_80
09-28-2006, 12:50 AM
hows the power? I thought this stick is a bit underpowered?

TonyB
09-28-2006, 03:23 AM
My old RQ-120 has a 12.2 oz. static weight, 8 points HL balance, and I don't know what the swingweight is, but it doesn't seem very high. It's a great racquet as well. The even older R-22 was 12.1 oz., 7 points HL, and just about the same swingweight, if not less. Those older models were really, really, well designed.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Ti-80 is the "21st Century" design of the old RQ series. Unfortunately, the RQ-120 has a 90 sq. in. racquet head and the Ti-80 is 98. I wish they made that racquet in a 90 sq. in. size.

I think the RQ-180 might have been 98 or 100 sq. in., I'm not sure. Either way, Yonex makes a great frame.

Tikiman53
09-28-2006, 05:25 AM
In my opinion, the power's fine. If you're playing your fifth set, and you're dead tired, then it's obviously going to start feeling really heavy and powerless. But otherwise, it's alright.

09-28-2006, 08:45 AM
The Ti80 offers a lot of raw ball/impact feedback and is not a well-damped frame, but its is solid-feeling if you know what I mean. It benefits from a poly/mutli hybrid or an all-multi job.....and a vibration damper.

BreakPoint
09-28-2006, 11:19 AM
The Ti-80 felt way too tinny and light and unsubstantial to me. It was hard to really nail shots with it and it didn't feel very stable to me. I just didn't like it. I thought the RDX 500 Mid I was demoing at the same time was infinitely better.

Tennis Man
09-28-2006, 11:22 AM
It's Yonex's longest remaining model for a reason! It's a nice, solid, no nonsense stick.
Great specs too: a light 315 SW but not too headlight at 8pts and only 12.1 ounces.

BTW: do you know if it came in mid-sizes? 98 sq inch head is too big for my game.

armand
09-28-2006, 11:45 AM
BTW: do you know if it came in mid-sizes? 98 sq inch head is too big for my game.Sorta. Monologuist knows the deal but if I remember correctly, the Ti-80 is very similar to the Ti-70. And the Ti-70 was available in both a 98sq" and 88sq" version.

Ripper
09-28-2006, 11:51 AM
Not square headed enough for me :rolleyes:

KOtennis
09-28-2006, 05:56 PM
i also like the ti-80 very much.
its now my go-to backup racquet.

i used the ti-80 for a year or so, now using the Ncode Tour 90 Asian version.

once in a while, when i am "off". i would pick up my trusted ti-80 and just have fun with it. i can generate a lot more spin with the ti-80 than my Ncode, so i just go for crazy cross court and super kick serves.

I love the spin and control it offers. and in my opinion, its got more pop than my Ncode 90 and POG Mid.

Tikiman53
09-28-2006, 06:03 PM
i also like the ti-80 very much.
its now my go-to backup racquet.

i used the ti-80 for a year or so, now using the Ncode Tour 90 Asian version.

once in a while, when i am "off". i would pick up my trusted ti-80 and just have fun with it. i can generate a lot more spin with the ti-80 than my Ncode, so i just go for crazy cross court and super kick serves.

I love the spin and control it offers. and in my opinion, its got more pop than my Ncode 90 and POG Mid.

Yes! Go Ti-80! We need more supporters! I had no idea it was so unpopular... I always figured it was one of those underrated racquets that everyone is dying to recognize.

milo
09-29-2006, 07:50 AM
i remember my time with my ti 80 (sold it to a friend not because i dislike it cause my friend insisted on buying it), it is a solid racket. but it lacks of control compare to my n6.1 tour.