PDA

View Full Version : flexpoint fire serve

abenguyen
09-27-2006, 06:56 PM
how are the serves on this racquet from anyone that used it? i am buying this very soon

Jack the Hack
09-27-2006, 11:11 PM
how are the serves on this racquet from anyone that used it? i am buying this very soon

As you know from my classified ad, I used the Flexpoint Fire for about 6 weeks. (I replied to your post in my ad, but it hasn't made it through the moderator yet.)

Anyway, I thought the Flexpoint Fire had very nice pop on the serve, and a decent amount of spin. I was coming from an oversize racquet (Prince TT Bandit), and I felt the Fire had much more precision on both serves and volleys. In fact, that was why I bought those frames... I thought my serve and volley was better with the Fire than any other racquet that I have tried this year. The downside was that it felt different with my groundies, but I thought they were honed enough that I could eventually adjust to the new feel.

However, I could never get consistant range with my return and ground strokes with the Fire. What made my mind up to give up on those frames was a tournament match late in the summer where I lost the first set... and I kept missing returns and putaways long. I really needed to win that match because ranking points were on the line, and I was desperate. I didn't think the Fire was really the problem, but I decided to pull out one of my old Bandits just for a change up. I immediately noticed that the grip felt more comfortable in my hand (Prince is rounder than the Head style grip) and that returns and groundstrokes that I had been missing by about a foot long were now landing inside the baseline. Not only did I turn the match around after switching back to my old racquet, but I won easily. I think if I gave the Fire more time, I would eventually figure out how to adjust my spins to keep the strokes up to my usual level of consistancy. However, I think that I've gotten used to oversized frames with more open patterns than the midplus Fire, so it wasn't as easy of a change as I had thought. Couple that with the different grip feel, and it's just stuck in my head that the Fire isn't for me.

I think that if you are used to midplus or smaller racquets, and have hit with previous versions of the Fire, you will love the Flexpoint Fire.

inferno303
09-28-2006, 04:30 AM
personally id recommend liquidmetal coz flexpoint is just a more expensive version with holes drilled in it