PDA

View Full Version : How to Reshape Head Rectangular Grip

kenshireen
09-27-2006, 07:44 PM
I have a lm rad OS that I really enjoy. I do not like serving with the rectangular grip.. It is good for a slice serve but not for a flat serve.
What is the best way to make the grip more oval.

Thanks, Ken

Noveson
09-27-2006, 07:56 PM
Have never done this myself, but I have heard people advocating sandpaper. Strip off the grip and grind it down yourself. Or you can add tape to the flat surfaces to make it rounder. Someplaces they do it for you, I don't know those places mind you. Hopefully somebody more knowledgable will answer this:)

AJK1
09-27-2006, 07:58 PM
Head grip handle pallets are removable, so you can replace it with a Wilson or Prince shaped pallet instead. Head are pretty clever! See your local racquet technician for advice.

kchau
09-27-2006, 08:08 PM
Head grip handle pallets are removable, so you can replace it with a Wilson or Prince shaped pallet instead. Head are pretty clever! See your local racquet technician for advice.

what other companies make removeable pallets?

Noveson
09-27-2006, 08:08 PM
See there you go^ just like I said somebody smarter than me.

AJK1
09-27-2006, 08:15 PM
Head and Volkl are changeable, not sure about the others. The good thing about them is that you can up your gripsize, i went from a 4 3/8 to a 4 1/2 just by replacing the pallets and buttcap. It's a great idea.

Keifers
09-27-2006, 09:18 PM
Fischer also makes removable pallets. The ones on the M Speeds are quite well designed.

Other than replacing the pallets, you could try putting some strips of grip finishing tape along the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock bevels (when the racquet is lying flat) and then re-wrap the grip. That will build up those sides and "round out" the original, very-rectangular handle.

I did this on the 3:00 and 9:00 bevels of my M Speed to make an overly square handle feel more rectangular. It worked well.

inferno303
09-28-2006, 01:06 AM

so basically youre saying that if you take off the grip and buttcap you can take of those pieces?
I had a look around with my lm prestige yesterday but didnt dare do anything yet coz it looked like polyeurathane

Keifers
09-28-2006, 09:50 AM
so basically youre saying that if you take off the grip and buttcap you can take of those pieces?
I had a look around with my lm prestige yesterday but didnt dare do anything yet coz it looked like polyeurathane
Maybe not all Head racquets have removable pallets?

kenshireen
09-28-2006, 02:37 PM
I contacted head us HQ and they said the pallet on lm radical is NOT interchangeable.
Any other thoughts

Ken

fishuuuuu
09-28-2006, 02:46 PM
I took one of my LM Radical grips apart, and it is "interchangeable" but it needs a total rebuild if you take it off.

How I have fixed my shape is instead of applying lead tape inside the handle I now apply it on the two widest faces of the grip giving it a more squared feeling. If you don't need lead tape then try just applying electrical tape or gauze beneath your replacement grip.

jayserinos99
09-28-2006, 02:53 PM
have you thought about using balsa wood?

Keifers
09-28-2006, 03:00 PM
It's up to you to decide whether to try it or not, of course, but I think you'll find it doesn't take too much tape at all along the 12:00 and 6:00 bevels to change the way the grip feels in your hand.

I started off with 3 layers, but eventually settled on one, which surprised me.

inferno303
09-28-2006, 03:01 PM
Maybe not all Head racquets have removable pallets?

thats what i was beginning to think maybe its only the chinese made ones that can because mine is austrian:|
newai i think ill go ahead w/ sandpaper n just add overgrips
could even make a babolat contour grip;)

AJK1
09-28-2006, 03:03 PM
Why don't people read my posts? I said before that Head pallets are changeable, but see your local technician, as it is a tricky job, my tech changed mine in 5 mins, and i have two radicals!!

inferno303
09-28-2006, 03:10 PM
well if you read the previous posts there aren't any changeable pallets on the lm prestige and you've got flexpoints not liquidmetals

AJK1
09-28-2006, 03:22 PM
Trust me, they're all changeable. That's what Head is known for.

abenguyen
09-28-2006, 06:57 PM
so once i buy my flexpoint if i were to take the original grip off and put lead tape on the wider flat sides and then regrip it would be more square rather than rectangular? im sorta confused where the lead would go since im going to add lead to the handle i might as well add beneath the grip to make it square

fishuuuuu
09-28-2006, 09:29 PM
so once i buy my flexpoint if i were to take the original grip off and put lead tape on the wider flat sides and then regrip it would be more square rather than rectangular? im sorta confused where the lead would go since im going to add lead to the handle i might as well add beneath the grip to make it square

That's correct. But the FP racquets aren't nearly as rectangular as the LM counterparts.

Tennis Man
10-14-2006, 04:09 PM
Why don't people read my posts? I said before that Head pallets are changeable, but see your local technician, as it is a tricky job, my tech changed mine in 5 mins, and i have two radicals!!

I just came accross this problem. I have racquets both in 3/8 and 1/2 and I'm in between.

Sorry for bumping this old thread. :p

AJK1, what grips did you change your Radicals to? Where did you get pallets of other sizes? From same names with other sizes or you can get the pallets from Head or somewhere? :confused:

Janne
10-15-2006, 01:05 AM
I´m also interested in knowing where to find pallets (1/4 and 3/8 to be more exact).

grimmbomb21
10-16-2006, 11:03 PM
I would like to know too. Actually, I need to know, since I already took the pallets of one pc600. One side was cracked at the bottom, so I couldn't use it anyway. But I would like to put on a more squared handle.

Janne
10-17-2006, 05:44 AM
Are ALL Head racquet grips interchangable, even the old ones? I´m probably getting some Pro Tours and would like to change the grip on them for a smaller one or one that's shaped differently, if possible.

Rafa's best friend
10-17-2006, 05:59 AM
What is a grip handle pallett? I have had problems with Head IS6 grip running too small, it is much smaller than wilson grip with same size. I don't know why. so i end up building it up with wood pieces but it adds a lot of weight and it sucks. IF it is as simple as replacing the Pallett(??), to make it like Wilson size and shape, i would do it this second. What is a pallett and where do i get it???????????

vsbabolat
10-17-2006, 06:04 AM
Janne, Yes the old ones are interchangeable. If you can find replacement HEAD pallets in Sweden it is no problem.
Changing to another shape is another story. That you would have to get from someone like RPNY or Bosworth. They custom make other grip shapes to fit on the HEAD racquets. They are very expensive.

Janne
10-17-2006, 06:05 AM
OK, but does Head have any different shaped grips or are they all the same except of course the size?

vsbabolat
10-17-2006, 06:08 AM
OK, but does Head have any different shaped grips or are they all the same except of course the size?
All the same grip shape just different sizes.

kenshireen
10-17-2006, 08:04 AM
I contacted Head Tennis HQ in Arizona.. They said that the lm rad pallets are NOT interchangeable. Now this doesn't mean that they cannot be removed somehow by a tech and replaced by another HEAD grip but I would think this would be a bery difficult task.
The FXP grips are LESS rectangular and also seem to run one size larger.
I have a 1/2 FPX rad and a 1/2 LM Rad and the grip on the FXP is definately larger.
Ken

grimmbomb21
10-17-2006, 07:38 PM
Where do you get the pallets at???:confused:

grimmbomb21
10-18-2006, 04:41 PM
I contacted racquetmaxx today. They said the production of the custom pallets for Head racquets is taking longer than they expected and wouldn't give an estimated release date. Hopefully not too much longer.:(

sypl
10-25-2006, 01:01 AM
Yeah, I'd also like to know where you can buy pallets. Specifically, an L3 for a Head Prestige Classic. And preferably in the UK, though any online source would be fine too.

And, this might be a dumb question, but is pallet just a fancy word for what most of us would call a handle?