PDA

View Full Version : A warning about lead tape

superstition
09-27-2006, 09:18 PM
Lead is a very serious heavy metal that will mess up your brain and your body if you get it into your system. Lead lowers IQ, causes temper problems and depression, hearing loss, anemia, and so on. Once lead gets into a person's system, it can stay there for most of that person's life, often causing sporadic damage as it leeches out of bone and becomes reabsorbed.

Lead is a very soft metal and therefore is not safe to handle with unprotected hands and you should not allow it to come into contact with things by rubbing so that it gets spread around.

People usually handle lead glibly and don't realize that it's affecting them negatively, because it's a very incremental process. Beethoven's deafness was caused by lead poisoning. Don't shortchange yourself. Use disposable gloves, wash your hands, and be careful about having it rub against anything.

AJK1
09-27-2006, 10:05 PM
So that's why half the people on these boards are loopy! ;)

DX_Psycho
09-27-2006, 10:07 PM
lead tape is pretty safe. it's just like touching a lead pipe. unless you're licking and gnawing the lead tape, you'll be fine.

MTChong
09-27-2006, 10:13 PM
lead tape is pretty safe. it's just like touching a lead pipe. unless you're licking and gnawing the lead tape, you'll be fine.

Oh...

bertrevert
09-27-2006, 10:23 PM
Claptrap. Just don't suck on it, alright?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_poisoning

tempura_MAKI
09-27-2006, 10:44 PM
I put a thin coat of spraypaint over my lead tape before i apply it.. thin enough to conceal the shinyness but thick enough to protect any discharge from minor contact. its a safe, and look friendly way to go about this situation.

lethalfang
09-27-2006, 10:52 PM

That's why lead pipes has been phased out a long time ago.
Lead is serious stuff. You shouldn't be touching lead material without coating, either.

Chang
09-27-2006, 10:56 PM
It depends on how much lead gets into your body. Using lead tape should be fine unless you are rubbing on it with your skin or something.

DX_Psycho
09-27-2006, 11:05 PM
well obviously lead isn't safe but touching lead tape is not goign to kill you. people that touched lead pipes didn't die. people who ingested it did.

psp2
09-27-2006, 11:26 PM
So that's why half the people on these boards are loopy! ;)

...along with millions of fishermen around the world. :P

LONGWHITECROSS
09-28-2006, 02:35 AM
if lead tape was so bad for you then the manufacturers wouldnt be able 2 sell it would they?

Duzza
09-28-2006, 02:37 AM
Lead is a very serious heavy metal that will mess up your brain and your body if you get it into your system. Lead lowers IQ, causes temper problems and depression, hearing loss, anemia, and so on. Once lead gets into a person's system, it can stay there for most of that person's life, often causing sporadic damage as it leeches out of bone and becomes reabsorbed.

Lead is a very soft metal and therefore is not safe to handle with unprotected hands and you should not allow it to come into contact with things by rubbing so that it gets spread around.

People usually handle lead glibly and don't realize that it's affecting them negatively, because it's a very incremental process. Beethoven's deafness was caused by lead poisoning. Don't shortchange yourself. Use disposable gloves, wash your hands, and be careful about having it rub against anything.
joke right? Unless you're eating it and not just putting it on your racquet your fine. Why else would they sell it?

anirut
09-28-2006, 02:40 AM
i palyed too mcuh wtih laed and i'm gnoe crzay ... ooh ... i cna't tpye striaght any mroe ...

you wanred me too ltae ...

galain
09-28-2006, 02:44 AM
WorNg WoRng WrgOn.

w4Ht r YOo tTlAKliGn AhbowT mAn? tHer Iz n0 pRuF tAht LEdD aFfEx YoR mEnaTl FAkuLtIeS aT aLL#

pNoyr3D
09-28-2006, 03:54 AM
Hm.. I heard about lead messing you up, but they wouldn't sell lead tape at all if it did this.

movdqa
09-28-2006, 04:07 AM
I think about this from time to time and have wondered why someone hasn't
come out with a different material to add weight to racquets. I use steel for
adding weight to the handle (not sure if it is stainless). But I do use lead tape
as it is so far the most convenient thing out there. I wonder if the disposal of
lead tape results in it leeching into groundwater (I guess there'd have to be
a lot of tennis players for that to be a real concern).

Silver tape would be nice - it has antibacterial properties and is moderately
heavy. Probably a little more expensive than lead.

inferno303
09-28-2006, 04:08 AM
WorNg WoRng WrgOn.

w4Ht r YOo tTlAKliGn AhbowT mAn? tHer Iz n0 pRuF tAht LEdD aFfEx YoR mEnaTl FAkuLtIeS aT aLL#

loller-skates thats how my maths teacher used to type
but yeah lead is pretty bad...if you eat it
newai our options are closed coz u need heavy metals which r posionous

D. Nelson
09-28-2006, 04:37 AM
'.....There have been documented cases of deafness resulting from lead poisoning, but this has been a relatively rare occurrence. There is no solid evidence that lead poisoning was a cause of Beethoven's deafness....'

However, it IS accepted that he DID die from complications of toxic levels of lead in his system....

Jesse K.
09-28-2006, 05:13 AM

......dude we appreciate the concern but it's a wee bit over the top. Touching or handling lead isn't going to hurt you. Every fishermen who handles lead sinkers would be in a Pysch ward by now. Ingesting lead is bad, but more so for children than adults. Children are the most at risk to lead poisoning not adults.

anirut
09-28-2006, 05:28 AM
OK, OK, Lead is poisonous.

USE GOLD!

movdqa
09-28-2006, 06:17 AM
OK, OK, Lead is poisonous.

USE GOLD!

Gold is around $600 an ounce right now, down from the recent high in May
of $730. Finding gold in tape form might be a little hard too. I don't know if it's sold in leaf form. Would look pretty though.

Silver bottomed around $4.05 an ounce in 2000 or 2001 and is trading around $11.57 an ounce according to Kitco. Silver is known to have antibacterial
properties and it is okay to ingest it. In fact there is a form called colloidal
silver that people actually ingest. Others just take a silver coin, file down a
little of it and mix it with a beverage.

Platinum's a nice metal too. But over $1100 an ounce.

Roforot
09-28-2006, 06:24 AM
Hm.. I heard about lead messing you up, but they wouldn't sell lead tape at all if it did this.
"No one who speaks German could possibly be Evil!"

--The Simpsons

pNoyr3D
09-28-2006, 06:58 AM
"No one who speaks German could possibly be Evil!"

--The Simpsons

What..?! Haha.. I'm confused.

max
09-28-2006, 07:10 AM
I know a guy who lived in the same house for 50 years, drinking water, etc., that ran through lead pipes. Died at 94. The real danger is for children with developing brains and bodies.

tempura_MAKI
09-28-2006, 09:35 AM
haha both sides of the story is a little over the top. Lead can be harmful to you. You shouldnt worry but it can. I would think its not a major issue for anyone.... just if you touch it, wach your hands.

lethalfang
09-28-2006, 10:50 AM
I think about this from time to time and have wondered why someone hasn't
come out with a different material to add weight to racquets. I use steel for
adding weight to the handle (not sure if it is stainless). But I do use lead tape
as it is so far the most convenient thing out there. I wonder if the disposal of
lead tape results in it leeching into groundwater (I guess there'd have to be
a lot of tennis players for that to be a real concern).

Toxicity aside, lead is a perfect metal for this application. Not only is lead heavy, but it's so soft and bendable that you can easily mold it into the shape of your racquet.
Occationally touching lead wouldn't be a major health concern, but you should minimize touching. It's much less seriously than ingestion, but heavy metal CAN and WILL get into your skin (in much smaller amount, of course).
Another thing about lead and many heavy metal in general is the heavy metal dust. If you don't install the lead tape properly, and it rubs against the ground, you can breath in the lead debris and it'll stay in your system for a long time. One example of heavy metal dust is depleted uranium in penetrating bombs. Depleted uranium is heavy and HARD but not radio active, but in bombs they do pose a heath hazard (other than the explosion). If soldiers breath in a higher amount of depleted uranium dust, it does cause health problems.

dave333
09-28-2006, 11:28 AM
only in california ;)

thejerk
09-28-2006, 12:45 PM
I have seen magnet tape. Anyone ever tried using the magnetic strips. I have considered it but I use so much lead tape that I fear it is to late to quit now.

Back in Beathoven's (sp) day people actually used it in powdered makeup. No wonder the guy died. I have heard that lead poisoning was one of the reasons Rome fell. It caused alota damage and would explain the insanity within rome's ruling classes.

AR15
09-28-2006, 01:29 PM
I always carry a mouthful of lead pellets when I'm out squirrel hunting.

It ain't hurt me none.;)

varuscelli
09-28-2006, 01:46 PM
i palyed too mcuh wtih laed and i'm gnoe crzay ... ooh ... i cna't tpye striaght any mroe ...

you wanred me too ltae ...

anirut, I see very little here that's different from your posts in the past. Either you've had lead poisoning for a VERY long time, or you need to take two anti-inflammatories and check back with us tomorrow... :p

:)

varuscelli
09-28-2006, 01:57 PM
Occationally touching lead wouldn't be a major health concern, but you should minimize touching. It's much less seriously than ingestion...

Of major concern are those players who lose their tempers and bite a large chunk out of their racquets at the 9 or 3 positions.

Even if they spit it back out, there's still the possibility of ingestion.

Ahhh-patooiiii! :p

(Sorry, lethalfang, for that very weak segue from your post.) :(

psp2
09-28-2006, 01:58 PM

Hello... there would be a HUGE difference in cost. Silver is currently over $11/oz.

mary fierce
09-28-2006, 02:11 PM
Lead toxicity historically has centered around INGESTION of lead, e.g. small children eating chipped house paint that used to contain lead. It's unlikely solid lead would be absorbed through the skin -- practically nothing else is. Studies with cosmetics and shampoos show that the various vitamins and nutrients they boast about are generally never absorbed. Even highly lipid soluble creams (which lead surely isn't) may be absorbed into the outer layers of the skin but generally not deeper layers and the circulation. Those outer layers are constantly being rubbed, washed, or flaked off your body. Ever get paint on your hand? It doesn't seep into your blood vessels. Stays there, dries, and washes off later.

tarheels2323
09-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Did whoever start this thread eat paint chips as a child? That would explain alot. Yes, ingested lead is quite harmful to a developing body and too much of it can of course cause problems in an adult (alot of it over quite a bit of time). However, the only precautionary measures we need to take when applying lead tape to our racquets is to wash our hands afterward and make sure we don't use a "one for you, one for me" system and start lining our mouths with lead tape. (If you put 3 grams on each of your back molars, you get better balance for chewing steak.) I for one don't mistake a short section of lead tape for chewing gum so I think I'll be alright. :rolleyes:

movdqa
09-28-2006, 02:33 PM
Hello... there would be a HUGE difference in cost. Silver is currently over $11/oz.

Yeah I know. I trade precious metals. But back around 2000 or 2001, it
was a little over $4/ounce.

http://stockcharts.com/c-sc/sc?s=$SILVER&p=M&yr=10&mn=0&dy=0&i=p98923159393&a=85744837&r=3604

anirut
09-28-2006, 03:08 PM
I remember somebody came up with this lead poisoning stuff sometimes back. I'm going to reply to this, with the same idea, that you should:

Worry more about the polluted air we breath.
Worry more about insecticides in food.
Worry more about chemicals in toileteries.
Worry more about growth hormones in meat.
Worry more about food preservatives.

I'm saying once again that lead is used is because it is heavy, malleable and cheap. Or you could use gold but its not cheap. If you guys are too afraid to use touch that small amount of lead, use something else, or just stop playing tennis.

Are we that stupid to not wash our hands after touching lead?

tempura_MAKI
09-28-2006, 03:36 PM
Are we that stupid to not wash our hands after touching lead?

ditto. lead tape is not food, so dont ingest it. if you touch it and you are worried about it, go wash your dam hands. nuff said.

habib
09-28-2006, 03:44 PM

The harmfulness of lead and lead tape aside, and no offense intended, but this is just about the stupidest possible thing you can think. :-)

They will sell it if people buy it. Unless it's illegal. And sometimes, even then. End of story.

superstition
09-28-2006, 04:10 PM
Here is the most common illogical statement in this topic:

"People don't die from handling lead tape, so it's safe".

When did I say people are going to die from handling it? Yes, lots of people, like fishermen, handle lead regularly. Yes, it gets into their system and has negative effects unless they do things like use barrier cream, disposable gloves, hand-washing, etc.

Illogical statement number two:

"If lead was dangerous, it wouldn't be sold."

Illogical statement number three:

"Because lead is more dangerous when ingested, it's safe to handle because it's not easily absorbed by the skin."

Yes, lead is more dangerous when ingested. When lead gets on the skin it often gets into the body. People smoke, eat, chew gum, touch other things, etc. Lead is a soft metal that rubs off on things easily.

The insidious thing about lead is that it accumulates in the body and has incremental negative effects. Unless you eat a lot of lead quickly in a particularly soluble or reactive form (like red lead oxide which killed restaurant patrons when a dessert maker used it as food coloring), lead won't kill you or make you really sick right away.

80% of inner city children in Cincinnati were recently found to have dangerous levels of lead in their bodies, not because 80% of the children eat paint chips, but because lead gets into the environment and finds its way into people's bodies. Sand-blasting old buildings. Leveling old buildings. etc. It's possible that crime rates in cities may be quite related to lead poisoning.

Illogical statement number four:

"Because lead is more harmful to developing children, it's safe for adults."

Safer, but not safe.

Illogical statement number five"

"You have an irrational agenda against lead tape."

No. I use it on my Prostaff. But, I think it should be labeled and should come with safety instructions.

As for Wikipedia... it should be taken with a grain of salt. Anyone can change the articles there.

El Diablo
09-28-2006, 06:21 PM
Would you provide some evidence that solid lead contacting the skin "often" finds its way into the body? A study, a journal reference, something....

movdqa
09-28-2006, 06:25 PM
http://www.gunsandammomag.com/

Nextman916
09-28-2006, 06:25 PM
'.....There have been documented cases of deafness resulting from lead poisoning, but this has been a relatively rare occurrence. There is no solid evidence that lead poisoning was a cause of Beethoven's deafness....'

However, it IS accepted that he DID die from complications of toxic levels of lead in his system....
I thought he like went to hot tubs or something to bath in and relax, and the lead concentration was really high....Im not 100% positive but i almost distinctly rememeber learning about this in elementary school.

tenis
09-28-2006, 06:50 PM
This is very SICK. You will die from polluted air (full of lead anyway) much sooner, than touching some racquet lead tape.

Keifers
09-28-2006, 09:36 PM
Not to poo-poo the use of lead, but I've found using head protector tape to be very effective. It's not as dense as lead tape, but I don't really add that much weight to my sticks to get some good bumps in power and stability. One advantage is that the head tape can be repositioned much more easily when I'm trying to fine tune its placement.

I use the cloth kind, e.g., Gamma or Babolat; not the shiny plastic-y type.

LuckyR
09-29-2006, 08:52 AM
Lead is highly dangerous, thats why I use depleted Uranium tape on my racquet. 4mm of it at 3 and 9 o clock. Problem is: I can't bring my racquet on airplanes...

varuscelli
09-29-2006, 09:25 AM
This is very SICK. You will die from polluted air (full of lead anyway) much sooner, than touching some racquet lead tape.

Aww, come on. It's not THAT bad of a post. The OP is just expressing an opinion. I think most people feel it's a bit over the top in terms of "warning," but why blast them with a "this is very SICK" comment? That's just being over the top in the opposite direction, don't you think?.

Oh, well.

jackson vile
09-29-2006, 10:37 AM

It is ingestion not contact that is dangerous, you should be far far more worried about what is in the air, water, and food supplies LOL

dacrymn
09-29-2006, 01:21 PM
LEAD TAPE IS NOT POISONOUS. lead is. lead is not that shiny silvery color. lead tape is. So what can you extrapolate? sure, there is lead, but it's COATED with a NON-POISONOUS material. That's what they do for normal lead weights as well. The only thing you should do is cover the ends where you cut it.
________
M50 (http://www.bmw-tech.org/wiki/BMW_M50)

tempura_MAKI
09-29-2006, 02:06 PM
LEAD TAPE IS NOT POISONOUS. lead is. lead is not that shiny silvery color. lead tape is. So what can you extrapolate? sure, there is lead, but it's COATED with a NON-POISONOUS material. That's what they do for normal lead weights as well. The only thing you should do is cover the ends where you cut it.

yeah i was cutting lead tape yesterday and I noticed the dark metallic discharge at the ends where i cut it. it got on my hands. but i washed them. im smart.

lethalfang
09-29-2006, 02:32 PM

I figure that's how lead tapes are made.
Lead is a heavy metal that easily makes dust and debris of itself upon contact, and the dust can get into your lung thru inhalation. Lead does not make strong bonds with itself.
Those who thinks ingestion is the only danger posed by heavy metal like lead, do not understand the danger.
I'm not someone who's paranoid of health hazards around the environment, but lead is one of the more serious one around.

jackson vile
09-29-2006, 04:22 PM
I figure that's how lead tapes are made.
Lead is a heavy metal that easily makes dust and debris of itself upon contact, and the dust can get into your lung thru inhalation. Lead does not make strong bonds with itself.
Those who thinks ingestion is the only danger posed by heavy metal like lead, do not understand the danger.
I'm not someone who's paranoid of health hazards around the environment, but lead is one of the more serious one around.

Do you even know what ingestion is?

in·ges·tion (ĭn-jĕs'chən)
n.

1. The act of taking food and drink into the body by the mouth.
2. The taking in of particles by a phagocytic cell.

Further more if it is not cronic/often ect there is not harm unless large amounts are consumed.

So in conclusion if you are not eating or breating in lead or lead dust in large amounts or cronicly then there is no harm possible in any shape or form.

ie get a clue!

lethalfang
09-29-2006, 06:01 PM
Do you even know what ingestion is?

in·ges·tion (ĭn-jĕs'chən)
n.

1. The act of taking food and drink into the body by the mouth.
2. The taking in of particles by a phagocytic cell.

Further more if it is not cronic/often ect there is not harm unless large amounts are consumed.

So in conclusion if you are not eating or breating in lead or lead dust in large amounts or cronicly then there is no harm possible in any shape or form.

ie get a clue!

Look, the clue is that you CAN breath in lead particles chronically.
Lead cause health hazards in wall paints NOT because people are eating them, but because people are breathing them.
Lead particles can easily come apart from a lead block. I'm assuming lead tape has a protective coating preventing that from happening.
However, one needs to be careful and respect the lead they are handling.
Improperly installing the lead tape, for instance, one which allows the lead tape to come in contact with the ground will kick up the lead particles into the air, and you will breath them in. If you do that a lot, the explosure is indeed chronic.

max
09-29-2006, 06:27 PM
What a total nutcake thread. I blame the State of California and its hysteria in labelling lead. It's ongoing, repeated ingestion that does it, not a touch here or there.

And besides, anyone putting lead on their racquet for real is going to first experiment with location and quantity, then, once the proper amount is determined, stuff the lead under the grommet strip.

Anirut's got sensible advice above: LOTS more other stuff is harmful and worth keeping your eye upon.

lethalfang
09-29-2006, 07:06 PM
What a total nutcake thread. I blame the State of California and its hysteria in labelling lead. It's ongoing, repeated ingestion that does it, not a touch here or there.

And besides, anyone putting lead on their racquet for real is going to first experiment with location and quantity, then, once the proper amount is determined, stuff the lead under the grommet strip.

Anirut's got sensible advice above: LOTS more other stuff is harmful and worth keeping your eye upon.

I'm quite sure the commercial lead tape has built-in protective measure such as a plastic coating of some sort. Let me assure you, however, lead is a serious hazard.
I'm a grad student in biochemistry and chemistry. I'm aware of the danger of lead. We take heavy metals such as lead and mercury seriously.
Contact between lead and other objects (e.g. ground, your tennis bag, tennis ball, etc.) can make heavy metal dust (fine lead particles) out of a lead block.
The reason I consider lead more dangerous than many other substance is not its intrinsic toxicity. I have two reasons 1) lead accumulates in your body, which makes it dangerous chronically; 2) lead does not stick well with each other. That's why lead is soft and a lead block is easily cut. You can easily cut a lead tape, now try to cut a steele tape. That means lead particles can easily get into the air for you to breath.

coolblue123
09-29-2006, 07:24 PM
wow! based on what you guys are saying, should i just put a layer of scotch tape over my lead tape? Seems like that's the only way to protect myself.

lethalfang
09-29-2006, 11:34 PM
wow! based on what you guys are saying, should i just put a layer of scotch tape over my lead tape? Seems like that's the only way to protect myself.

It seems like there is a layer of coating around the lead tape for protective purposes, so that's probably not necessary.
I will always advise to respect the lead. The adverse effect is accumulative. There's no reason to get it into your system if you can just be a little more careful. For instance, don't use a dull scissor to saw through your lead tape because that will kick up the particles all around you. Don't install the lead tape where putting the racquet to the ground will scratch the lead tape, and thus kick up the lead particles into yourself. That kind of things.

superman1
09-30-2006, 12:55 AM
Meh, there are paints with lead in them. My apartment has paint like that and my landlady gave me a pamphlet that essentially warned me not to chip off the paint and eat it. Cutting a piece of lead tape and putting it on your racquet will not hurt you, unless you cut off a piece of your finger by mistake.

jackson vile
09-30-2006, 08:30 AM
I'm quite sure the commercial lead tape has built-in protective measure such as a plastic coating of some sort. Let me assure you, however, lead is a serious hazard.
I'm a grad student in biochemistry and chemistry. I'm aware of the danger of lead. We take heavy metals such as lead and mercury seriously.
Contact between lead and other objects (e.g. ground, your tennis bag, tennis ball, etc.) can make heavy metal dust (fine lead particles) out of a lead block.
The reason I consider lead more dangerous than many other substance is not its intrinsic toxicity. I have two reasons 1) lead accumulates in your body, which makes it dangerous chronically; 2) lead does not stick well with each other. That's why lead is soft and a lead block is easily cut. You can easily cut a lead tape, now try to cut a steele tape. That means lead particles can easily get into the air for you to breath.

You can't be serious:rolleyes:

Do you have an education at all?

varuscelli
09-30-2006, 08:41 AM
I will always advise to respect the lead.

Aside from the seriousness of the topic at hand, I can't help but think that "Respect the Lead" would be a great maxim or adage or battle cry to have stenciled on the side of a leaded-up racquet (for those who are serious about leading 'em up).

Respect the Lead!

(I'll get to work on the bumper stickers, just because they'll represent such obscure references to all the other drivers out there. They'll probably think you're not using unleaded gasoline like you're supposed to and give you a honk AND the finger. But that's just speculation on my part...)

anirut
09-30-2006, 09:08 AM
Lethalfang:

Since you're a chem grad ("I'm a grad student in biochemistry and chemistry"), could you advise what material should we use instead of lead. I need something that is heavy, malleable, cheap and non-radioactive.

I think this time I need advise from a chem grad. I was only a humble physics guy.

This whole thing reminds me of my cousin's grad school nutrition professor. During the semester he was talking about the dangers of this and that, of the stuff we eat. It was the last class for the semester when he said, "Guys, just go out and enjoy life and forget the danger!"

haerdalis
09-30-2006, 09:15 AM
Sure lead is a dangerous metal but in this form and for this use it is not that much of a healthazard. To me a more important question is, where do you dispose of the tape you no longer intend to use?

lethalfang
09-30-2006, 02:25 PM
Lethalfang:

I need something that is heavy, malleable, cheap and non-radioactive.

Well, duh, only lead fits the profile. That's why it's used.

lethalfang
09-30-2006, 02:27 PM

What did I say wrong...

varuscelli
09-30-2006, 02:37 PM

What did I say wrong...

Nothing that would require the kind of response you got.

thejerk
09-30-2006, 02:43 PM
People, people, please. This is a good thread because it gives us a chance to make fun of each other. It is educational aswell. Now I know to quit eating my used lead tape. I had been eating it because I have taught my kids not to waste things. Live and learn, I always say.

jackson vile
09-30-2006, 05:33 PM
People, people, please. This is a good thread because it gives us a chance to make fun of each other. It is educational aswell. Now I know to quit eating my used lead tape. I had been eating it because I have taught my kids not to waste things. Live and learn, I always say.

LOL:p LOL

anirut
09-30-2006, 06:40 PM
Well, duh, only lead fits the profile. That's why it's used.

So, why scream about the danger of lead when nothing else fits the profile?

I'm pretty sure that having sex without a condom is much more dangerous than having lead on you fingers.

IF we want to explain the dangers of lead, point it out AND SUGGEST SOLUTIONS. There's no point in saying no, no to this and that without a solution.

OK, the solutions ARE:

- Use lead tape, pellets, sheet, lump, whatever.
- Cover that 'whatever' with a thin masking tape.
- Wash hands well after fiddlin' with it.

Easier?

lethalfang
09-30-2006, 07:14 PM
So, why scream about the danger of lead when nothing else fits the profile?

I'm pretty sure that having sex without a condom is much more dangerous than having lead on you fingers.

IF we want to explain the dangers of lead, point it out AND SUGGEST SOLUTIONS. There's no point in saying no, no to this and that without a solution.

OK, the solutions ARE:

- Use lead tape, pellets, sheet, lump, whatever.
- Cover that 'whatever' with a thin masking tape.
- Wash hands well after fiddlin' with it.

Easier?

The solution is be cautious.
If a word of caution regarding lead somehow sounds inflammatory to you, then you've already gotten too much lead.

jonolau
09-30-2006, 07:33 PM
Okay, the word here is moderation. So long as the lead tape is not permanently adhered to your hand, it's okay.

My friends, you ingest more lead by breathing in the air around you than from touching lead tape for brief moments to attach it onto the frame.

Please do not go around starting mass hysteria and creating paranoia.

You can die from more invisible sources of poisoning than touching lead tape. Almost everything around us is synthesized or derived from synthesized materials. The plastic toys your kids are touching - made from plastics which contain derivatives of crude oil, additives, pigments etc. The clothes you are wearing, washed in detergents which are not totally natural, many of which are chemically generated. The paint on your walls, full of additives. The hamburgers, potato chips and pizza you eat - additives. The Coca-Cola and sports drinks you ingest - additives. The water that you drink - refined and processed with chemicals and derivatives.

Come on, let's get real. Don't get so caught up on one small little thing.

The important thing is to make sure you live your life to it's fullest potential. Live it, enjoy it and go with no regrets. If you are going to get so paranoid and worried about everything around you, you're going to walk around with a permanent frown and will die earlier from stress more than anything else.

ENJOY LIFE.

Offshore
09-30-2006, 07:35 PM

Thanks jerk. Your post answers a lot of questions.

anirut
09-30-2006, 07:37 PM
... then you've already gotten too much lead.

LOL, yeah ... have you seen my post #13? I've just gotten better after medication. The doctor prescribed more tennis for me. ;)

varuscelli
09-30-2006, 07:37 PM
Now I know to quit eating my used lead tape.

Well, you don't necessarily need to quit...you just need to be cautious. Caution is our watchword when dealing with lead, so as long as you're cautious, what's the worst that could happen?

But no spicy dipping sauce or anything or you're liable to get heartburn or worse. :p

jonolau
09-30-2006, 07:39 PM
This is getting out of hand. Someone pass me the salsa dip before all the lead tacos are gone ...

varuscelli
09-30-2006, 07:49 PM
This is getting out of hand. Someone pass me the salsa dip before all the lead tacos are gone ...

Mmmmm....lead tacos.

How you doing, jonolau? Long time since we've been in the same thread, but it would have to be one about lead poisoning, wouldn't it? ;)

jonolau
09-30-2006, 07:56 PM
Mmmmm....lead tacos.

How you doing, jonolau? Long time since we've been in the same thread, but it would have to be one about lead poisoning, wouldn't it? ;)
Hi Al! Good to be in touch with you once again.

Yes, it HAD to be about lead tape. I just had to put these poor misguided souls back onto the right track.

Life has been great for me. Having lots of fun stringing racquets. But lately I fell and landed on my right wrist at a weird angle. Doctor suspects a very slight hairline fracture (X-ray was fuzzy). The wrist hurts especially when I'm trying to drive the ball hard, 1HBH or when I try to whip the racquet on angled forehands.

varuscelli
09-30-2006, 08:23 PM
<snip>But lately I fell and landed on my right wrist at a weird angle. Doctor suspects a very slight hairline fracture (X-ray was fuzzy). The wrist hurts especially when I'm trying to drive the ball hard, 1HBH or when I try to whip the racquet on angled forehands.

Oddly enough, I'm nursing an injury of my own.

Strangely (and coincidentally, in regard to the topic of this thread), it's a form of "tennis leg" that in my case may be a strain or rupture of the plantaris tendon. When you get an injury to the plantaris tendon, the immediate sensation is often described as "feeling like someone just shot you in the back of the leg with a pellet gun." So, in a roundabout way, I could be described as suffering from a metaphorical case of lead poisoning (inasmuch as anyone who is "shot" can be said to be suffering from "lead poisoning").

OK, it's a bit of a stretch to call my injury lead poisoning (even metaphorically so), but once again it allows me to keep my post within range of actually being "on topic."

Sadly, though, I likely won't be able to get back on the courts for at least a couple of more weeks to maybe another month or more. Grrrrr.... :mad:

(Metaphorical lead poisoning can be a beeyatch!)

Voltron
09-30-2006, 08:33 PM
So that's what happened to NadalGirl, it all makes sense now.;)

Voltron

lethalfang
09-30-2006, 11:40 PM
Well, you don't necessarily need to quit...you just need to be cautious. Caution is our watchword when dealing with lead, so as long as you're cautious, what's the worst that could happen?

But no spicy dipping sauce or anything or you're liable to get heartburn or worse. :p

;) Really, this is all we are saying.

I assure the rest of you, that we're not lobbying the congress to ban the sale of lead tape.
All we've done in this thread is to extend a word of caution regarding a known toxic material to our fellow tennis enthusiasts. That's it! If you don't care about what we are saying, fine. Do what you think is necessary. We are definitely NOT watching you.
For some of the statements made of me, let me assure you that, I'm not someone who is paranoid of the environment around me. For instance, I think the supposed health benefits of organic food are way overstated by the companies that make them for their own financial gains. The fear regarding synthetic chemicals in food and genetically engineered plants are unfounded. Health concerns regarding microwaved food and radiation sterilization all come from a lack of scientific understanding. Plastic is has little adverse health effect in humans unless when they are being burnt (because plastic release toxic fumes when they are being burned), and the only adverse effect of plastic is environmental because it is virtually un-recyclable. However, heavy metals like lead are known to be toxic.
I cannot understand the hostility geared toward a simple warning. Are some people here so insure regarding their choice tennis equiptment, that a word of caution regarding a known toxic substance offends them? :confused:

jonolau
10-01-2006, 12:07 AM
I cannot understand the hostility geared toward a simple warning. Are some people here so insure regarding their choice tennis equiptment, that a word of caution regarding a known toxic substance offends them? :confused:
Hey, ease up. The rest of us are taking it easy. There have been many threads posted regarding this exact same topic in the past. Please do a search first before posting articles.