PDA

View Full Version : Prince hybrid tour: Please post your opinions

CliffH
09-27-2006, 10:58 PM
Well, after delayed countdowns and a lot of drama I got my demo today and finally tried the tour hybrid. I drilled with it for 2 hours tonight and came back with a lot of surprises.

This frame has a lot of non prince like quirks so it appears to actually be more of a custom job as advertised.

I know this is purely subjective stuff, so don't dog me too bad and I respectfully submit that this is only my old school, post jack kramer/prostaff era view and I have to rush so here is my late night get something on the boards quick version:

The head is shaped very oval which bothered me to start, much narrower and longer than I was used to and it instantly felt tiny in size.

The squarish prince grip which fits my hand perfectly was gone - replaced with a rectangular head ? like grip, wit 2 flat sides that I couldn't get my hand around on my 1hbh. The head felt tiny, though thick, like an old 200g.

The paint is great looking and more reddish orange with white highlights than my 03 tour which is more goldish with no white accents.

I started with volleys: Incredible touch, comfortable, solid. Low powered. small head but no mishits.

Forehand: Oh my gosh! Controlled, solid. Allows one to hit through the ball with out it flying. Pops when you hit it right or you can stroke it smooth & deep wih medium topspin.

Backhand: Grip was tough on me, took a while to get it going. Sweet. Not whippy. Smooth stroke a must. 1HBH topspin was tough as I couldn't get the grip far enough but flat was solid.Slicewas steady, deep, reliable. Medium spin. Didn't bite much.

Serve: Wow. Placement and pop. Medium spin. Smooth.

This is a firm heavy racquet with by far the best control & feel of the 03 line or for that matter maybe anything I have ever tried. Kind of like the old ps85 days. This is one racquet that I do not want to play against. It can do everything: short dippers, flat hard, smooth topspin, slice - scary. An open player's dream.

I could not whip it or brush the ball like an 03midplus or a puredrive but it felt more like an old thick 200g or the old ultra 2 wilson frames,or a thick head prestige. Definitely like a mid only head.

You can definitely feel the 03 holes work. It is kind of wierd, you expect it to be jarring but it softens up the hit a lot. BTW: I do not use a dampener so I removed the prince one.

Well, keep the ball in front and swing smooth. Despite all of it's nuances and the smallish head, this frame is a winner and I will hit tommorrow but will probably get one friday to try better strings in. My 03 tour os is for sale :) and this makes the 03tourmid feel like a toy.

Got to go. cheers.

AJK1
09-27-2006, 11:01 PM
What are the strings and the tension?

MasterTS
09-27-2006, 11:17 PM
Yep by far this is the best O3 racquet.

The feel on this is incredible!

CliffH
09-28-2006, 07:02 AM
The 2 demos that I have seen have stock prestrung white prince synthetic gut with duraflex.

This is a great frame for a flat hitter, the ball stays square on the strings for ages.

I was super rushed when I did the first post, I hope I didn't mess up too bad.

CliffH
09-28-2006, 07:23 AM
Yes masterTS, I can not believe the feel on this frame, even with 16g stock string. It has my old ncode tour90 beat which I thought was impossible and it is less boardy than the prestige line.

I had a tough time using a full western grip with it and I kept coming back to a semiwestern on the FH as the head liked to contact the ball square with less brush which may disappoint the heavy topspin guys.

This frame will show your skill level. I couldn't believe the control. I was hitting drop volleys at will a foot over the net consistently. The other 03 tour frames for me had a tendency to overhit a ball and my dropshots looked like chip approachs.

It is thick feeling on halfvolleys and when you contact late, which may be the weight or string. It is more demanding to use than I thought and I think this will slow down the 100sq in head size people as my wife who uses an 03white thought it played more like a 90 sq in frame. Ouch. I kept thinking I wasn't good enough for the racquet. Scary. Without clean tecnique you are cooked with this baby, way more than the ncode 90 even.

I'll get to hit a couple more hours today and compare it to an ncode6.1. 95 then I'll hit with one of the juniors to see if I can hang.

10sNut
09-28-2006, 08:12 AM
Very solid frame and IMO best in the O3 line up so far. Would have liked to try it longer, but the factory strings broke soon in my playtest. I can confirm that the grip shape is not the typical Prince shape as CliffH stated below and closer to a Wilson or Volkl, which I happen to like better anyway.

Best stroke for me with it was the forehand. Didn't miss many and the sensation was great. Nice flex and good feedback.

I'm really looking forward to trying the dense string pattern version.

McStud
09-28-2006, 08:44 AM
there is going to be another string pattern available? when/where did you hear this? man you guys really have me craving to get his thing! i called my local shop the other day and they said they would contact me when they get a demo in.

prostaff18
09-28-2006, 09:58 AM
Very solid frame. I would agree with what was said about dwell time, it feels like the ball is on your frame forever. I really like that feeling. I also thought that it has more "controlled power" than the nSix-One 95. I use the n6.1 95 but I am thinking there is a change in my future to the hybrid tour. The only thing that I had problems with was the serve. I hit with a lot of spin on my serve and I felt like I couldn't get the spin that I wanted.
Some one should do a complete review over this racquet after they have hit with it for a while, I only hit with it for a couple of days and I played no matches with it.

Voltron
09-28-2006, 10:05 AM
I felt like I couldn't hit good topspin with it, and with my game style, thats very very bad. So I didn't really like it.

Voltron

BigServer1
09-28-2006, 10:08 AM
there is going to be another string pattern available? when/where did you hear this? man you guys really have me craving to get his thing! i called my local shop the other day and they said they would contact me when they get a demo in.

Thas is currently a rumor. I talked to a prince rep a couple of weeks ago, and he told me that they haven't made a final decision about an 18/20 model (aka the "one that blake will be using"). So unless I've missed something recently, I wouldn't get my hopes up. I think the prince rep said january or something if it happened at all.

coolblue123
09-28-2006, 11:06 AM
Is this going to be the racquet that Blake's going to use?

thejuice
09-28-2006, 12:14 PM
I'm not sure about some other players' styles but I was able to generate some really good topspin on my forehand. As I posted in another thread, I felt like my 1HBH is going to need some practice with this frame. I didn't get to serve at all but I can't wait to try it again. I think I am going to buy a couple of them because I will need to do a better analysis using my grip size.

MasterTS
09-28-2006, 12:26 PM
I'm not sure about some other players' styles but I was able to generate some really good topspin on my forehand. As I posted in another thread, I felt like my 1HBH is going to need some practice with this frame. I didn't get to serve at all but I can't wait to try it again. I think I am going to buy a couple of them because I will need to do a better analysis using my grip size.

Yep I felt I had great access to spin.. definitely more spin than the FP Prestige XL. Swung very lightly and strangely the 1hb was my most comfortable stroke with this racquet right off the bat.

I served with it for an hour yesterday and felt really good. Great combination of pace and spin. Not overly powerful but was able to hit my spots well. Gonna go for another 1 hr serving session today to see if it still feels the same.

CliffH
10-01-2006, 02:28 PM
While trying the hybrid, I changed the regular grip to a leather grip and it stabilized out much better, with even more control. This made the final difference to convince me to switch, as I was still unsure due to a wierd unstable feeling I had on half volleys and short forehands.

The slice on this frame is very reliable, though I lose a lot of spin on the serve. My buddy who lives by his heavy spin did not like the frame. My other friend who hits a lot of flat & slice shots with his volkl loved it. The serve is so reliable and accurate I just hit a moderate pace first serve instead of a spinny second. I'm ok with that.

Boy, you really get a work out with this frame, though thankfully it is perfect on my shoulder: no pain.

I get more top spin as I play more with the frame and I swing stronger at the ball. I think that with the addition of better strings, this frame will play even better.

POGforEver
10-01-2006, 02:37 PM
Where is everyone getting demos of the Hybrid Tour? Is TW going to have demos soon?

MasterTS
10-01-2006, 07:33 PM
While trying the hybrid, I changed the regular grip to a leather grip and it stabilized out much better, with even more control. .

Which leather did u change to?

BiGGieStuFF
10-01-2006, 08:52 PM
I'm gonna string this sucker up with some timo 18 at 56 and see how it flies.

MasterTS
10-01-2006, 09:07 PM
I'm gonna string this sucker up with some timo 18 at 56 and see how it flies.

Thats the exact settup I had the store string up when I got the racquet.. tiMo18 @56.. felt great!

BiGGieStuFF
10-01-2006, 09:08 PM
Thats the exact settup I had the store string up when I got the racquet.. tiMo18 @56.. felt great!

Did you happen to play it with the string that came with it originally? How much of a difference did the string make?

CliffH
10-01-2006, 09:14 PM
Congrats you guys, I'll probably get mine on wednesday, I want to check out the half grip as I am between it & the 3/8 depending on brand.

I will be puting vs 17g in the mains & tnt2 18g in the crosses, then will try a gut poly hybrid. This should increase the spin & make the head lighter.

Probably use a vs leather grip, though it was a used gamma i used so far.

I will return my demo on wednesday to TW, or sooner if I get frames on monday.

thejuice
10-01-2006, 09:23 PM
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on one today. I have demoed this frame more than I ever have demoed in the past and I continue to like it. I have been trying to talk myself out of it but I just can't ignore it. I hit about 200 balls today on a ball machine and everything was great. One thing I notice about this frame is that you don't have to swing for the fences to get some really good pace. Actually, a moderately fast swing will get you some great results. I am looking forward to playing my true grip size (5/8). I think I've figured out my 1HBH with this frame. I was hitting the ball to small spots on the court with no problem...topspin and flat. This thing is a true machine.

MasterTS
10-02-2006, 08:28 AM
Did you happen to play it with the string that came with it originally? How much of a difference did the string make?

Nope I've only played with poly on the O3HT. It felt great but I snapped the strings pretty fast... but I did nothign but hit groundstrokes over and over for several hours lol

rod_b
10-02-2006, 10:14 AM
Just out of curiosity...you guys who hit the O3T and now have the O3HT are you stringing the same tension? Lower, higher? Thanks