PDA

View Full Version : Extra weight in the handle.

TennisandMusic
09-28-2006, 12:49 AM
When adding weight to the handle of a racquet is it best to, perhaps, buy a smaller handle grip size and build it up thereby adding half an ounce and distributing the weight evenly, or is it better to open up the cap and glue in weights to the bottom of the handle in a more localized fashion?

What are the pros and cons of each, as I really don't know and I'm not sure what grip size to buy for my next racquet since I want to play with a 4 3/8.

For reference I am currently playing a babolat pure storm weighted up to about 12.8 ounces with lead tape at 3 and 9, a 4 1/4 handle built up to almost 4 3/8 (doesn't quite feel up that yet but thats the size I want in the end) and weights in end of the handle as well.

movdqa
09-28-2006, 04:16 AM
Don't know if you've seen my other post but I use silicone caulk injected into the inside of the handle and then push in nails if I want more weight. You can get a
lot more weight using this approach than you can get with putting lead tape
under the handle. I know another guy that bought bbs (small round metal spheres) which he poured into the handle. This approach is reversable (you can just pour them out if too heavy or add them if too light). Lead tape tends to smooth out the bevels in the handle which may be undesireable.

When you want to experiment with lead tape under the grip, you need to take off the overgrip, then the grip and then modify the lead tape. So you may have to deal with glue, double-sided tape and add creases to the leather grip.

So I think that adding weight inside the handle is a generally better approach.

TennisandMusic
09-28-2006, 09:43 AM
Right. The issue here is more like...is it better to have the weight spread out over the handle such as building up the handle with a heat shrink does? Or is it better to localize the weight at the butt of the racquet with weights? Currently I have both in my racquet. It sounds however like I should just go with the 4 3/8 as is because you can put silicone caulking into the handle. I wasn't aware of that.

movdqa
09-28-2006, 09:48 AM
Be mindful that I don't know if you can take the caulking out if you want to
decrease the weight. That hasn't been a problem for me. In general, if you can
reach it with fingers, you can just peel it out. I have a pair of needlenose pliers
that I could probably get most of it out with if I wanted to.

I used silicon caulking as I had a tube around that I used to seal small holes in
our house. I use the home depot approach to tennis.

louis netman
09-28-2006, 12:53 PM
Don't know if you've seen my other post but I use silicone caulk injected into the inside of the handle and then push in nails if I want more weight. You can get a
lot more weight using this approach than you can get with putting lead tape
under the handle. I know another guy that bought bbs (small round metal spheres) which he poured into the handle. This approach is reversable (you can just pour them out if too heavy or add them if too light). Lead tape tends to smooth out the bevels in the handle which may be undesireable.

When you want to experiment with lead tape under the grip, you need to take off the overgrip, then the grip and then modify the lead tape. So you may have to deal with glue, double-sided tape and add creases to the leather grip.

So I think that adding weight inside the handle is a generally better approach.

Be careful with the caulk method as I once accidentally (while drinking beer) filled an entire 300g frame with the stuff. It weighed close to two and a half pounds.... never was able to get the stuff out....(Travlerajm may be interested in this frame ;-) ) It's also very difficult to match frames due to its inconsistent handle adhesion and immeasurability...

movdqa
09-28-2006, 02:21 PM
I suppose that you could stuff some paper wadding in before putting in the
caulk to prevent it from going throughout the frame. I didn't have this problem.
Perhaps the models in the 1990s sealed off the tubes in the handle from the
rest of the frame.

The stuff that I used was fairly firm to begin with too. And I didn't rest the
racquet upside down after injecting it. And maybe I did more than one pass.
I do recall leaving it in a well-ventilated place for the caulk to cure.

chair ump
09-28-2006, 03:25 PM
Just throw a shrink sleeve and a leather grip on your racquet...that'll add a noticable amount of evenly distributed weight.

AJK1
09-28-2006, 03:35 PM
My strong advice is NEVER put anything in the handle;
a) You won't be able to distribute the weight evenly
b) the weight may dislodge, move around, even re-lodge further up the frame, and you'll never get it out. (frame ruined)
This happened to me, but i was extremely lucky enough to be able to get the weight out after millions of attempts to dislodge it.
Adding lead tape is a bit more scientific than just putting it anywhere, my racquet tech advises to wrap lead tape around the handle, not along it, using a mark 10cm from the buttcap as the starting point. Just keep adding until you get the desired total weight. (one of my sticks required me to wrap the entire length of the handle). Adding this amount of lead tape will increase the thickness of your grip one size. You will be amazed at how good the racquet will play after doing these mods. Also, as a previous poster mentioned, adding a leather grip and a heat shrink sleeve is an excellent way to add weight evenly. Cheers!:D

travlerajm
09-30-2006, 03:08 AM
Right. The issue here is more like...is it better to have the weight spread out over the handle such as building up the handle with a heat shrink does? Or is it better to localize the weight at the butt of the racquet with weights? Currently I have both in my racquet. It sounds however like I should just go with the 4 3/8 as is because you can put silicone caulking into the handle. I wasn't aware of that.

Putting weight in the buttcap region will have the opposite effect as putting weight along the whole handle, so it depends what your desired result is.

Weight in the buttcap will generally reduce power and add spin.

Weight along the entire handle will generally add power and flatten out your shots.

Kevo
09-30-2006, 06:19 AM
I don't like the added power I get with extra weight. It makes it difficult to keep the ball in play when hitting big. So I generally will ad very little weight to the head of the frame. Only what is necessary to match frames of help with stability if needed. I mostly add weight to the bottom of the handle. They way I did it last time was to take two equal sized fishing weights and put one on each side of that center piece that runs inside the handle. I used some nylon fiber packing tape to make some pockets for the weight and a little foam packing. Then I stuffed it into the handle with one weight on each side of the middle divider. That way it wouldn't rattle and the piece of tape over the divider kept it from falling down into the frame. Think of it as a "W" with the weight and foam material in the "V"s.

saqdeez
10-16-2006, 07:46 PM
Question, if i add 6 grams to the head and 6 grams to the handle just to counter balance it, does it batter whether that weight is in the buttcap (bottom) or wrapped around the handle 10cm from the buttcap as suggested above? I am just trying to raise the total weight of the racket...