PDA

View Full Version : PS 6.1 "Classic" Question

louis netman
09-28-2006, 09:22 AM
I just purchased a PS 6.1 Classic from a seller here who claimed it was from 1994 production. It says Pro Staff in large font on it, but has the word "Classic" in smaller script going at a 45 degree angle next to it. If I recall, this frame came out in the early 90s(?). I figure, if 1994 represents an early production year for the 6.1, then the Wilson folks appropriately would not have been using the "Classic" term in the graphic. It's like Coca Cola Classic coming out way back in the early 1900s. Anyone know wazzup???

Thanx!!!

Keifers
09-28-2006, 10:06 AM
That's a very good question. :)

Others here will know the history of these racquets better than I. The one I have has a white butt cap, which means it's an early model, I believe, and its graphics are exactly as you describe.

Tennis Man
09-28-2006, 11:05 AM
got pics???

louis netman
09-28-2006, 12:33 PM
got pics???

Sorry, but I don't know how to post pics on this message board. I can email you pics of the PS 6.1 to your email addy, or you can tell me how to post em if it's not too difficult...Thanx for your help.

Lakoste
09-28-2006, 01:48 PM
Sorry, but I don't know how to post pics on this message board. I can email you pics of the PS 6.1 to your email addy, or you can tell me how to post em if it's not too difficult...Thanx for your help.
http://imageshack.us/
Click Browse
Find where the picture is located on your computer, click Host it
Imageshack gives you a choice of links, copy the one thats described as Hotlink as Forums (1) - if you cant find what I'm talking about, just post any link

Tennis Man
09-28-2006, 01:52 PM
This is the easiest. Just click Browse, upload, copy the link and paste it into the message:

http://tinypic.com/

jcstennis
09-28-2006, 04:43 PM
here, i'll do the honor(s)
http://i10.tinypic.com/317jd36.jpg

i bought this racquet brand new from a very reputale tennis pro shop. It was purchased in between 1993-1995. i think it was 94, as far as i remember, i had 2 of theses things at one point. i will upload the pic with the hologram and serial number. i bought it after college (92-93) and before i got married (1996). The lettrs on the white butt cap are UJW... maybe Lnetman can upload that pic i sent him... i don't have access to it from where i'm at.

jcstennis
09-28-2006, 04:51 PM
more...
http://i10.tinypic.com/2woenb6.jpg
http://i9.tinypic.com/2ps4yur.jpg
http://i10.tinypic.com/34ipxl0.jpg
more coming.. this is the exact stick that was sold.

Craig Sheppard
09-28-2006, 05:23 PM
Actually from the day it came out, it has been known as the Pro Staff Classic. What you have is a mid-run PSC. I have one that only says "Pro Staff Classic", probably from about '92/'93. They added the 6.1si in later years (I think from around '93 or '94 on, since the only I have from around early '94 that has the 6.1si lettering). I forget when they switched to the serif font on the side in the later '90s, but you have the older style sans serif lettering for "Pro Staff". Anyway, to answer your question, I would believe you do have a '94, or thereabouts.

To clarify, there have been 3 versions of the PSC, as far as lettering goes:
Pro Staff Classic (sans serif font)
Pro Staff Classic 6.1si (sans serif font)
Pro Staff Classic 6.1si (serif font)

Keifers
09-28-2006, 09:04 PM
Actually from the day it came out, it has been known as the Pro Staff Classic. What you have is a mid-run PSC. I have one that only says "Pro Staff Classic", probably from about '92/'93. They added the 6.1si in later years (I think from around '93 or '94 on, since the only I have from around early '94 that has the 6.1si lettering). I forget when they switched to the serif font on the side in the later '90s, but you have the older style sans serif lettering for "Pro Staff". Anyway, to answer your question, I would believe you do have a '94, or thereabouts.

To clarify, there have been 3 versions of the PSC, as far as lettering goes:
Pro Staff Classic (sans serif font)
Pro Staff Classic 6.1si (sans serif font)
Pro Staff Classic 6.1si (serif font)
Dear Commish,
The information you've provided here is very impressive. Thanks.

Keifers
09-28-2006, 09:12 PM
The code on my Classic 6.1 (with white butt cap) was XEW.

P.S. I am SO going to call my next product "Classic" right out of the gate...

WHY wait??

NO reason I can think of !!

louis netman
09-28-2006, 09:56 PM
I hit with this stick today, no lead, strung with the plastic that it came with and regardless of it's manufacture date, it rocks! I can not believe that my wrist is not hurting either..... Thanx everybody, including "jctennis' who sold me the stick and who has been trying very hard to verify authenticity........

jcstennis
09-29-2006, 06:25 AM
this is my question sent to Wilson, they replied back within 12 hours!

Customer - 09/28/2006 06:10 PM
i have wilson prostaff 6.1 classic si mid plus tennis racquet. the serial number is c227717. the butt cap is white with the letters UJW. is there a way i can find out what year this was made and from where? i can send a link to the pics of the racquet. thank you kindly.
jason smith

Response (Joseph Byers) - 09/29/2006 07:16 AM This racquet was made in April of 1996 in China. Thanks

Keifers
09-29-2006, 08:20 AM
this is my question sent to Wilson, they replied back within 12 hours!

Customer - 09/28/2006 06:10 PM
i have wilson prostaff 6.1 classic si mid plus tennis racquet. the serial number is c227717. the butt cap is white with the letters UJW. is there a way i can find out what year this was made and from where? i can send a link to the pics of the racquet. thank you kindly.
jason smith

Response (Joseph Byers) - 09/29/2006 07:16 AM This racquet was made in April of 1996 in China. Thanks

goosala
09-29-2006, 07:11 PM
The reason why that frame was called Classic from the beginning was because of the widebody craze during the early 90's. When that frame came out it was one of the few straight beam frames on the market.

louis netman
09-30-2006, 07:14 AM
The reason why that frame was called Classic from the beginning was because of the widebody craze during the early 90's. When that frame came out it was one of the few straight beam frames on the market.

Thanx for answering that question......sharp cookie!

Keifers
09-30-2006, 08:00 AM
What-EVuh... I'm calling my very next product "Classic" irregardless ! :D

(Just kidding... good one, goosala...)

armand
09-30-2006, 08:16 AM
Those are some really high quality pics, jcstennis. Lighting is very even(overcast day?) and nice touch taking them on the tennis court. What kinda camera you got?

jcstennis
09-30-2006, 02:02 PM
adely... that was shot by two very inexperienced beginner/photographers... we borrowed a friends Canon Rebel EOS? i will find out exactly and what lense was on it... i thought we did a crappy job, however the pics did come out nice... the same day we shot a St. Vincent- really showed the quality and the ever needed "red primer" for a sale. I also did some butt cap shots with a shadow effect that really show the letters... i can post them later they are at work... i used another friends camera (forgot the name).. now they are impresive with extreme close ups. the 6.1 shots it was overcast, nice white sky... oh and the tennis court, that's sales and marketing! :) ( i did sell this stick to a marketing exec!)
________
jcstennis

jcstennis
09-30-2006, 02:08 PM
http://i9.tinypic.com/2iqh4ec.jpg
http://i10.tinypic.com/43zxgrb.jpg
a pair of STV pics

Keifers
09-30-2006, 03:56 PM
Those are some really high quality pics, jcstennis. Lighting is very even(overcast day?) and nice touch taking them on the tennis court. What kinda camera you got?
I agree. jcstennis, these are the best racquet photos I've ever seen -- outstanding!

armand
09-30-2006, 08:14 PM
I liked the 6.1 pix better. The framing isn't great, but it's more artsy and abstract. Better colors and the depth of field is amazing. The Midsize is just a straightforward pic.

jcstennis
10-01-2006, 02:46 PM
LNetman... let me know how you make out with the new strings... Nat gut will probably play like dream and even further help the "wrist" situation. What strings were you going for... just curious?

louis netman
10-01-2006, 03:16 PM
LNetman... let me know how you make out with the new strings... Nat gut will probably play like dream and even further help the "wrist" situation. What strings were you going for... just curious?

I normally use KLIP (slightly stiffer) in my flexy frames... I put Pacific Prime (softer) in the PS @57/54... Haven't tried it with the new setup yet...

BTW, I think my wrist healed up while I sat out for my groin injury for 4 months...