PDA

View Full Version : rule of thump for puting in lead tape

MaxT
09-28-2006, 09:51 AM
I read some complex formula on puting on lead tape, can't really follow. Can an expert give me a rule of thumb on this?

I like the balance of my racquet, just want to make it heavier. I put 14 g at 9 and 3, and 14 g under the handle, now it feels head heavy. My question is, if I don't want to distort the original balance, what the ratio of weights at 9/3and handle? I am thinking using a 5 to 7 ratio. For example 10g at 9/3, 14 at handle. Doest this sound reasonable?

Mine is Dunlop 300G.

Thanks so much.

VGP
09-28-2006, 10:11 AM
Sounds ok....

....get yourself a scale and a balance board.

If you don't want to do that, check the balance of your frame now, then add weight till it feels right and check the balance again. Use a dowel rod or in my case one of my son's drumsticks, a flat level surface, and a ruler to check the balance again.

Keep in mind that adding weight at 3 and 9 will increase the twistweight. You may like the added stability, you may dislike it if the frame becomes sluggish.

andrew_b
09-28-2006, 10:19 AM
I read some complex formula on puting on lead tape, can't really follow. Can an expert give me a rule of thumb on this?

I like the balance of my racquet, just want to make it heavier. I put 14 g at 9 and 3, and 14 g under the handle, now it feels head heavy. My question is, if I don't want to distort the original balance, what the ratio of weights at 9/3and handle? I am thinking using a 5 to 7 ratio. For example 10g at 9/3, 14 at handle. Doest this sound reasonable?

Mine is Dunlop 300G.

Thanks so much.

I like the title "rule of thump!". Perfectly suited for adding lead tape :)

Anyway, there is a spreadsheet in one of the recent threads that gives quite a few parameters, but if you're just wanting basics you might want to try THIS SITE (http://www.racquettech.com/store/learningcenter/lc_combinedswtbal.html).

It lets you put in starting weight, swingweight, and balance point. You can then slide the sliders around to see the effects of different weight in different locations. But it only takes into account one location for the weight.

But in your case, it sounds like you want to put some of the weight in the head, so I'd suggest the excellent spreadsheet discussed in THIS THREAD (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=121681).

Play well,
Andrew