PDA

View Full Version : What I saw @ Dicks Sporting Goods in Durham, NC

darkblue
09-28-2006, 01:18 PM
Last week, I stopped by the store to pick up several cans of tennis balls. (My supply from TW had run out)

In the tennis corner, there is a brand new Gamma stringing machine. As I own the previous release of the machine, I approach the machine and the stringer, trying to get a better look of the machine.

Then I saw....

A brand new O3 Tour, incorrectly mounted, and its mains strung from the outside (not in parallel, working from outside to inside, tho i don't think there is such a technique anyway........ just from L to R)

I casually ask: "Do you string often?"
Dicks employee: "Yeah I string often"
Me: "What stringing pattern are you using?"
Dicks employee: "What? I'm stringing. Do you need anything?"
Me: "If you string the mains from one side to the other, you'd be stressing the frame in a harmful way. Do you know that?"
Dicks: "......."

If you want your racquet to be strung CORRECTLY, do not go to these athletic goods super stores... They OFTEN do BAD things to your racquets! (like stringing the mains, and going out to lunch for 2 hours)

darkblue
09-28-2006, 01:49 PM
a premium for their inventory and services!!!

outrageous, if u ask me.

Dan007
09-28-2006, 02:04 PM
Dicks Sporting Goods and Sports Authority always do that. They just get some dumbass who doesn't even know how to string correctly and are not cerified by USTA National Stringing Association.

fishuuuuu
09-28-2006, 02:06 PM
Dicks Sporting Goods and Sports Authority always do that. They just get some dumbass who doesn't even know how to string correctly and are not cerified by USTA National Stringing Association.

I don't know any stringers that work for the government or even the NSA ;)

But yeah, it'd be nice if they hired some stringers with some credentials like USRSA behind them.

darkblue
09-28-2006, 02:10 PM

the racquet manufacturers should void the warranties on the frames sold through these (super store) channels because the damage is happening during the STORE's handling of the racquets... (would be nice, but not going to happen, lol)

TW should get more perks from the manufacturers since they don't do this type of stupidity =)

Dan007
09-28-2006, 02:17 PM
the racquet manufacturers should void the warranties on the frames sold through these (super store) channels because the damage is happening during the STORE's handling of the racquets... (would be nice, but not going to happen, lol)

TW should get more perks from the manufacturers since they don't do this type of stupidity =)

I got my racket restrung from hola-bird sports a couple weeks ago and I was asked to sign a slip that reminds me that the store will not be responsible for damages to the frame during stringing. They didn't use to that, but now they do it.

eagle
09-28-2006, 03:19 PM
One of the reasons why I bought a stringer and do it myself. At least, I'll only have myself to blame if anything goes wrong with the string job or the frame.

Thanks,
eagle

tarheels2323
09-28-2006, 03:24 PM
I've never had anyone except a stringer at a club, or my old high school coach do my stringing and that won't change unless I get my own stringer. Taking your racquet to Dicks to get it strung is like taking your car to a gas station (not a service station) to get the tires rotated (or the fuel lines flushed, etc...) - it's just not smart.

BigServer1
09-28-2006, 04:06 PM

You went to carnegie mellon? That's cool. I didn't know they had a tennis team, but they do have a hell of a music program...

Keifers
09-28-2006, 04:10 PM
At least in my area, good stringers are not that easy for tennis retailers to find and keep. Suspect that's also the case in many parts of the country.

darkblue
09-28-2006, 04:14 PM
You went to carnegie mellon? That's cool. I didn't know they had a tennis team, but they do have a hell of a music program...

for a while, we had grass courts as home courts.

(because the hard court surface had cracked in so many places and weeds have grown from the cracks)

and where did u go to school?

we did beat Univ. of Pittsburgh who did have a divI team back then.
we got slaughtered by Univ. of West Virginia..

darkblue
09-28-2006, 04:22 PM
At least in my area, good stringers are not that easy for tennis retailers to find and keep. Suspect that's also the case in many parts of the country.

i wish supply and demand would determine the price of service.

what REALLY bothers me though, is that these people advertise "professional assistance" with merchandise being sold in the stores..

they should put "buy and get it strung @ your own risk. we don't guarantee USRSA certified stringers"

Keifers
09-28-2006, 04:26 PM
i wish supply and demand would determine the price of service.

what REALLY bothers me though, is that these people advertise "professional assistance" with merchandise being sold in the stores..

they should put "buy and get it strung @ your own risk. we don't guarantee USRSA certified stringers"
Yep. And another thing I see often is the stringer leaves the string job partially done while he goes take care of some customer, and comes back to the racquet a good while later. Bad for the frame and makes the stringbed uneven -- terrible!

tarheels2323
09-29-2006, 05:23 PM
for a while, we had grass courts as home courts.

(because the hard court surface had cracked in so many places and weeds have grown from the cracks)

and where did u go to school?

we did beat Univ. of Pittsburgh who did have a divI team back then.
we got slaughtered by Univ. of West Virginia..

That makes me so mad. See: :mad: I go to Pitt and the best we have is the club team (and we didn't even have that before this year). I hate Title IX.

Davai
09-29-2006, 08:30 PM
Last week, I stopped by the store to pick up several cans of tennis balls. (My supply from TW had run out)

In the tennis corner, there is a brand new Gamma stringing machine. As I own the previous release of the machine, I approach the machine and the stringer, trying to get a better look of the machine.

Then I saw....

A brand new O3 Tour, incorrectly mounted, and its mains strung from the outside (not in parallel, working from outside to inside, tho i don't think there is such a technique anyway........ just from L to R)

Me: "If you string the mains from one side to the other, you'd be stressing the frame in a harmful way. Do you know that?"

If you want your racquet to be strung CORRECTLY, do not go to these athletic goods super stores... They OFTEN do BAD things to your racquets! (like stringing the mains, and going out to lunch for 2 hours)

How can you mount a racket incorrectly? And the racket was strung from the last, most outer main to the other side?

slice bh compliment
09-29-2006, 08:39 PM
I've never had anyone except a stringer at a club, or my old high school coach do my stringing and that won't change unless I get my own stringer. Taking your racquet to Dicks to get it strung is like taking your car to a gas station (not a service station) to get the tires rotated (or the fuel lines flushed, etc...) - it's just not smart.

Yeah, it's like getting your teeth cleaned at 7-11. Or getting your hair cut at a fast food restaurant. Oh, you didn't want the mullet? Well, why?

But there are no guarantees at a club either. Lots of yutzes get to string while the really knowledgeable guys are out teaching, playing or chilling.

If the stringer is USRSA certified, preferably an MRT, then it's cool. Otherwise, you better know him and his work before you let him handle your frames.

Ronaldo
09-29-2006, 08:48 PM
Yeah, it's like getting your teeth cleaned at 7-11. Or getting your hair cut at a fast food restaurant. Oh, you didn't want the mullet? Well, why?

But there are no guarantees at a club either. Lots of yutzes get to string while the really knowledgeable guys are out teaching, playing or chilling.

If the stringer is USRSA certified, preferably an MRT, then it's cool. Otherwise, you better know him and his work before you let him handle your frames.

Always wondered why they wear those cheesy hats at Fast Food restaurants? Must be their in-house barbers, eh? You deserve a break today, so get up run away from our barbers. That's not a curly fry, its a curly lock in your bag, sir.

Keifers
09-30-2006, 09:24 AM

Always wondered why they wear those cheesy hats at Fast Food restaurants? Must be their in-house barbers, eh? You deserve a break today, so get up run away from our barbers. That's not a curly fry, its a curly lock in your bag, sir.
That's great, guys. Thanks for the yucks. :D

slice bh compliment
09-30-2006, 11:54 AM
That's great, guys. Thanks for the yucks. :D

Thank you, thank you, Keifers. Ronaldo and I will be here all week. Be sure and tip your waitresses.;)

Now, mmmm, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to go get me some of them french fried p'taters....an' a haircut....an' a visor...and get mah Ncode strung up at the Dairy Queen. Mmmmmm.

Ronaldo
09-30-2006, 10:35 PM
Cool, you can have it all at Dairy Queen, a Blizzard in July. Bet you may have an easier time ordering a pr of tennis shoes there than at Dicks, eh?

Steve Huff
09-30-2006, 11:43 PM
Sports Authority stringing incorrectly??? How could that be? When I've read my RSI magazine (and RacquetTech in the past), I see more stringers from Sports Authority passing their MRT certification than any place else. Now, you don't think Sports Authority has someone there doing the testing do you???

Swissv2
10-01-2006, 12:06 AM
Sports Authority stringing incorrectly??? How could that be? When I've read my RSI magazine (and RacquetTech in the past), I see more stringers from Sports Authority passing their MRT certification than any place else. Now, you don't think Sports Authority has someone there doing the testing do you???

it depends on the store. This is probably one of those that has a person not part of the MRT certification group, and is only there to string.

For a fact, the sports authority people here do NOT do a good job - verified by one of the former stringers there himself. He said when he wasn't stringing (and he admitted he had limited experience) they would try to get anyone that has had rudimentary experience to do the job.

Which is why I get my racquets strung by our local USRSA MRT who has been stringing for over 25 years.

AlpineCadet
10-01-2006, 12:15 AM

So TW should be rewarded for doing what they claim to be doing? :rolleyes: If a pro shop strung my racket correctly, I'd def. be satisfied and but not surprised.

darkblue
10-03-2006, 03:38 PM
So TW should be rewarded for doing what they claim to be doing? :rolleyes: If a pro shop strung my racket correctly, I'd def. be satisfied and but not surprised.

a pro shop should have a USRSA certified stringer
TW has MRT and USRSA certified stringers

no surprise here...

what the problem is: retail sports chain CLAIM to have professionals and experts handling your sporting needs. THIS IS FALSE.

mctennis
10-03-2006, 04:37 PM
I've seen this happen also at a nationallly know tennis academy. The manager behind the counter asks another employee if he has time to string a racquet. manager - " You know how to work the stringing machine?" The employee says " I've only done one racquet since I've worked here and that was three months ago."
manager- " That's OK as long as you can get it strung by 3 pm for this guy. I can't get in touch of ( another employee's name) since he is off today."
Nice huh?

Ronaldo
10-03-2006, 05:44 PM
I've seen this happen also at a nationallly know tennis academy. The manager behind the counter asks another employee if he has time to string a racquet. manager - " You know how to work the stringing machine?" The employee says " I've only done one racquet since I've worked here and that was three months ago."
manager- " That's OK as long as you can get it strung by 3 pm for this guy. I can't get in touch of ( another employee's name) since he is off today."
Nice huh?

May just found an opportunity to earn a lil cash and get your racquets strung free. Get certified

SteveI
10-04-2006, 04:54 PM
May just found an opportunity to earn a lil cash and get your racquets strung free. Get certified

Hi,

Who needs to be certified... just pay attention and do a good job. BTW.. being certified does not mean you will get a quality string job. I have seen some real bad stuff come out of "certified" proshops. The bottom line is to find a good stringer you can trust to care for your frame.. or just get your own machine and then you will really know if the job is being done right. Save some bucks and even make a few!

Regards,
Steve

tennis life
10-04-2006, 05:23 PM
My friend bought his O3 TOur at dicks and some guy picked it up to get it strung. Awful job, one of the worst ive ever seen

Valjean
10-04-2006, 07:19 PM
Mass retail outlets do mass retail work at mass retail levels.

What else is new, too...

Ronaldo
10-04-2006, 08:48 PM
My friend bought his O3 TOur at dicks and some guy picked it up to get it strung. Awful job, one of the worst ive ever seen
Dicks subbed out the stringing?

Steve Huff
10-04-2006, 10:18 PM
That is a problem with the big stores that sub out. They may give them to someone like me (although I've never strung for them) who uses an electronic machine, and then give it to Joe Blow the next time, who uses a Klippermate or crank machine. Consistency is not their strongpoint.

Swiss, I was being a little sarcastic in my post. I think the USRSA meant well with their certification program, but I'd be willing to bet that some certificates were handed out to not-so-deserving people just so the store could say "we have 100% of our stringers are certified by the USRSA". I know some of these stores have testers. Therein lies the problem.

SteveI
10-05-2006, 07:07 AM
Dicks subbed out the stringing?

Hi,

Here in my area.. they sometimes take frames to our one and only Proshop to have the frames strung ... so yes they do.

Steve

slice bh compliment
10-05-2006, 11:50 AM
Some clubs even outsource stringing services.
You protectionists need not worry, it is all local. But something tells me there could be a lot of MRTs in Bangalore.;)

Ronaldo
10-05-2006, 12:02 PM
Some clubs even outsource stringing services.
You protectionists need not worry, it is all local. But something tells me there could be a lot of MRTs in Bangalore.;)
Yes, club manager took the stringer home, does it himself. Nearly every club member with children that play has a stringer and kids that string. Most juniors in our area can string and string their own bats.

johnkidd
10-05-2006, 12:07 PM
I'm not certified but I think I do a very good job and have got many compliments on my string jobs. Several guys that I play interclub and USTA with are dreading my move. As was mentioned it's all taking your time and attention to detail. If I mess something up (which has happened only a couple times in 10 years of stringing), I'll cut the strings out before I'll do something that will compromise the playability of the frame or string.

devilish_duke
10-06-2006, 01:14 AM
You know, if you want to get good service in Durham, NC (I'm assuming Dick's is in New Hope Commons) go to Omega Sports which is a few stores to the left of Dick's. They've got certified MRTs and a Babolat Star 5. Good next day service too!

Then I saw....

darkblue
10-06-2006, 06:49 AM
You know, if you want to get good service in Durham, NC (I'm assuming Dick's is in New Hope Commons) go to Omega Sports which is a few stores to the left of Dick's. They've got certified MRTs and a Babolat Star 5. Good next day service too!

NO THANK YOU!!!!!

They charge $62 for Babolat Tonic string job. (last time I checked)

devilish_duke
10-06-2006, 08:11 AM
lol, that's true, but I was assuming any person serious enough to get gut would be ordering string from TW. The labor is $10, no tax, and if you ordered a $35 pack of babolat vs gut that'd be $45.

Match-Point
10-06-2006, 09:49 AM
Not sure about the Durham, NC Omega but the Cary, NC store has a labor charge of either $18 or $20 for natural gut. At least that is what their posted sign says. The use to have a labor charge of $10 for all strings and 8-12 months ago I noticed a new sign differentiating labor prices based on string types.
-MP

darkblue
10-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Not sure about the Durham, NC Omega but the Cary, NC store has a labor charge of either $18 or $20 for natural gut. At least that is what their posted sign says. The use to have a labor charge of $10 for all strings and 8-12 months ago I noticed a new sign differentiating labor prices based on string types.
-MP

i thought it was $20 for natural gut too...

(i just don't like Omega - i bought a pack of multi when my supplies ran out, but the guy cautioned me for stringing on my own) ?? what was that for?? he's never seen a home stringer?

vsgut1954
10-09-2006, 07:00 PM
TSA gives MRT certification to their store managers after they take an 8 hour class. Some of these managers had never strung a racquet prior to the testing.

I manage the stringing business in the Atlanta area for Dicks Sporting Goods. My stringers have all been trained by me. To start off they go through a 40 hour training class.

Then their is a follow up of 4 - 8 hours a week for the next six weeks.

All stringers in the Atlanta area are independent contractors. They work for me. Not DCSG.

tonysk83
10-09-2006, 07:16 PM
The Sports Authority near me includes stringing fees in the price of their string and does it for free. My friend got his racquet strung there and they didn't mess anything up, but I saw a kid stringing a racquet ball racquet once and he had no idea what he was doing, he just looked nervous doing it.