PDA

View Full Version : Lead Tape at 6 o'clock position?

gteter
09-28-2006, 12:56 PM
My goal is to make my racquet heavier without altering balance. Tennis Warehouse advises to add lead tape in the throat, or 6 o'clock position. All of my research on this forum results in a variety of answers and different methods. Is Tennis Warehouse correct? If I add tape at the 6 o'clock position will that increase the overall weight of my racquet while maintaining the same balance? Thanks.

louis netman
09-28-2006, 01:06 PM
My goal is to make my racquet heavier without altering balance. Tennis Warehouse advises to add lead tape in the throat, or 6 o'clock position. All of my research on this forum results in a variety of answers and different methods. Is Tennis Warehouse correct? If I add tape at the 6 o'clock position will that increase the overall weight of my racquet while maintaining the same balance? Thanks.

6:00 is the easiest, least time-consuming, way to do it...

VGP
09-28-2006, 02:14 PM
yes and no.....

...if the balance point of your strung frame is at the 6 o'clock position of the throat, then the balance point won't change if you add weight.

If it's overly headlight or headheavy, adding weight there may change the balance, but the change may or may not be slight.

Seems that some people around here tend to add equal amounts of weight to the head AND handle, keeping the current balance point as a pivot per se.....

Experiment and see!

AJK1
09-28-2006, 03:53 PM
I find the best way to add weight and keep the same balance is to add lead tape at the 3 & 9 o'clock positions, then wrap the equivalent amount around the handle at around 17cms from the buttcap. This mod will give you more controllable power, and more stability on off-centre shots. It works well.:D

AlpineCadet
09-28-2006, 10:22 PM

I've been experimenting with lead tape on my racket, so I have a few things to say. Be careful where ever you're adding lead tape, because a little goes a long way, esp. when you start placing weight around 3 and 9 o'clock and to the handle. As for the the 6 o'clock position, I believe it'll be the easier place to customize while keeping your same racket balance, but it will also lower the sweetspot towards the throat. The best way to figure it all out is to experiment yourself. Good luck! ;)