PDA

View Full Version : Something in between BB Alu Power and SPPP in stiffness?

Skycat
09-28-2006, 07:32 PM
I currently have my PC600 strung with the Alu Power and the NXT hybrid at 56 lb.
The setup plays well but I think the Alu Power is a little bit too stiff for my arm.

Could someone recommend some polys that's somewhat in between the Alu Power and the SPPP in stiffness?
I know that the SPPP is soft, but I didn't like the SPPP too much since it's too soft for my taste.

In many posts the Pro Hurricane Tour has been recommended a lot and said to be a little softer than the Alu Power, so I'm kinda leaning to the Pro Hurricane Tour right now.

Is the Pro Hurricane Tour worth a try? or something else?

Please help~!:confused:

ffrpg
09-28-2006, 07:40 PM
I'd suggest Unique Big Hitter

thejackal
09-28-2006, 07:45 PM
or Signum megaforce

BigServer1
09-28-2006, 08:15 PM
The two suggestions above, or tecnifibre red code or babolat pro hurricane tour is good too. Both are softer, and come in a 17 gauge (1.25).

diredesire
09-28-2006, 08:40 PM

This was the first string that came to mind, second was Topspin Cyberflash, although, if you hated SPPP, you might not like it. Signum Megaforce as mentioned is another good option.

Midlife crisis
09-29-2006, 11:47 AM
In my experience, and I'm a dedicated SPPP user, the impact feel of this string can be changed significantly by altering tension. If you didn't like the way it felt, that it was too soft, try increasing the tension by 5% and see if that works better for you.

I currently have SPPP in five or six different racquets, strung between 50 and 68 lbs tension. I arrived at the specific tensions for each racquet through trial and error, mostly, and clearly for me the SPPP does not feel the same at different tensions (or even at the same tension/length ratio).

LN_Dad
09-29-2006, 04:04 PM
SPPP is too soft? It feels pretty good on my nsix-one 95. What racket and tension do you use?

Wondertoy
09-30-2006, 11:43 AM

I agree with thejackal, try Signum Pro Poly Megaforce. It's firm but more comfortable than ALU. It also has more power than SPPP. I used it for 6 months.

thejackal
09-30-2006, 11:49 AM
It also comes in thinner gauges. I'm using the 18g one.

Skycat
10-01-2006, 05:10 PM
Thanks a lot for lots of information.
I'll check my tennis shop if they have those recommended strings.

Finding the right string setup is quite hard and time consuming.. not to mention that it costs an arm and a leg.:)

HappyLefty
10-01-2006, 05:57 PM
I tried Alu and SPPP and I can tell you that Luxilon Ace 18 is a good compromise between these two. In the site s t r ingforum . net is rated as the best overall string.