PDA

View Full Version : Do all you guys that use lead tape...

Nextman916
09-28-2006, 08:14 PM
Actually have all the equipment needed for a proper procedure?? (Scales, Balance boards, staple gun, hot glue gun) Are there any substitutes so i dont have to go out and spend 65$+ on a postal scale. Do any shops out there do this for you, or is it too risky? I know my local tennis stores have the proper equipment to do so, but im not sure if they would do it. Also what would happen if you did it without precise measurements, like you just took a ruler and cut out even pieces of lead tape and glued it to places that seemed even on the racquet like 3' o clock and 9' per say? Im very curious how to lead up my racquet but im wondering all the right procedures, the calculations posted on the forums at a quick glance confuse the crap outta me......

maverick66
09-28-2006, 08:17 PM
honestly if its your first time expirment and have fun with custimizing your racket. the way i learned is i added a little bit at a time until it felt right. dont just throw on a ton of lead. also make sure its balanced on both sides of the racket.

Swissv2
09-28-2006, 08:45 PM
just go to a local postal office and ask for it to be weighed. I did it, several others here have done it, and the postal offices we have all gone to didn't have any problem.

Keifers
09-28-2006, 09:12 PM
honestly if its your first time expirment and have fun with custimizing your racket. the way i learned is i added a little bit at a time until it felt right. dont just throw on a ton of lead. also make sure its balanced on both sides of the racket.
Good advice. Have fun with this!

onkystomper
09-29-2006, 12:07 AM
I got some scales off e b a y for a meagre $19 They are accurate to 0.1 gramms and i have had my moneys worth from them

Deuce
09-29-2006, 12:27 AM
Actually have all the equipment needed for a proper procedure?? (Scales, Balance boards, staple gun, hot glue gun) Are there any substitutes so i dont have to go out and spend 65$+ on a postal scale. Do any shops out there do this for you, or is it too risky? I know my local tennis stores have the proper equipment to do so, but im not sure if they would do it. Also what would happen if you did it without precise measurements, like you just took a ruler and cut out even pieces of lead tape and glued it to places that seemed even on the racquet like 3' o clock and 9' per say? Im very curious how to lead up my racquet but im wondering all the right procedures, the calculations posted on the forums at a quick glance confuse the crap outta me......
Come on, dude - use your imagination at least a little bit... No reason to be intimidated by this stuff.

Get a digital kitchen food scale - under $20 new.

Use an adhesive magnet roll - a fraction of the cost of lead tape.

Glue gun? Why? Use silicone instead - cheap, keeps things secure and stable, and is easier to remove than something glued.

Use coins for weight in the butt cap area. Use silicone to 'glue' coins to butt cap.

milo
09-29-2006, 07:45 AM
no, i used babolat lead tape. just open the sticker and added it wherever you wanted it to be.

LuckyR
09-29-2006, 08:47 AM
^^^ Same with the Gamma product...

dave333
09-29-2006, 10:39 AM
nope, all i have is an once scale, ruler, and scissors

Nextman916
09-29-2006, 02:43 PM
Well wouldnt this cause your racquet to be a little unbalanced when hitting? Or is the difference neglible? Because it would only be exact to the degree of your judgement.

movdqa
09-29-2006, 03:13 PM
I cut the tape roughly and don't check the measurements. And I just put it on roughly as well. For the most part, I don't care what it weighs. I concentrate on how it plays. And take some off or add some when it doesn't feel right.

I only use an electronic scale when I'm curious about the overall weight. Like once every five years.

Nextman916
09-29-2006, 03:23 PM
K thx guys, im probably just gonna go out and buy some, and go to my local shop to weigh it when i need too. What is this talk about an adhesive magnet roll or silicon? Cant i just buy a pack of lead tape and just apply it by sticking it on, does one side have a sticky surface?

movdqa
09-29-2006, 06:19 PM
Silicone caulk can be injected inside the handle as an alternative to wrapping
tape around the handle.

DRtenniS1112
09-29-2006, 06:24 PM
I went to a local head shop (ya know the ones that sell stuff for drugs) and bought a scale there for 5 bux. They had a ton of em, really cool ones too. My stoner friend had one to measure his herbal products and I asked where he got it.