PDA

View Full Version : Lead tape on handle with same leather grip

Duzza
09-28-2006, 10:17 PM
So i wanna put lead at like 10cm I think (gonna try out the Safin setup :D) and i need to take off my grip. Is there a way to keep the grip intact for a second use? I'm a little worried because the racquet and grip are very old and probably in poor condition.

Keifers
09-28-2006, 11:02 PM
Unless the leather has some tears in it, should be OK. I recently removed and put back on the leather grip of my Pro Staff Midsize (white butt cap, square grommet channel ends, 55-65 tension range) -- the leather crinkled, but went back on OK.

Recommend you go slow when you're doing it. You might try applying some good quality leather conditioner to the grip before you start -- to make the leather a little more pliable.

VGP
09-28-2006, 11:10 PM
They do sell replacement leather grips, you know.....

Duzza
09-28-2006, 11:16 PM
They do sell replacement leather grips, you know.....
Yeah for 20 odd dollars here...anyway I didn't have to as it turned out because mostly the setup involved increasing the swingweight and making the balance more head heavy. Gonna go play with it now, I'll tell you what it's like. BTW Travelrajm if you read this it doesn't feel like 365 swingweight even though i followed the spreadsheet locations. I spose the racquet is only 353 grams so it won't feel that heavy.

Duzza
09-29-2006, 02:20 AM
well I did it avoiding touching the grip. I did the Safin setup (353 grams, 365 swingweight approx.,32.5 balance) with one of my POG's but with different weights as it already had lead on it. It is so much better than the other one now! So much hidden power and confidence on groundstrokes. It was beautiful

haerdalis
09-29-2006, 02:37 AM
How did you do it then?

Duzza
09-29-2006, 02:44 AM
How did you do it then?
Do what? Avoid the grip? Well i used that guy's Spreadsheet and trialed till it gave me, since my POG was already 348, 0.5 grams at ~55cm from the buttcap and 4.5 grams at 68.5 (12') just to increase the swingweight. Hmm going over it again, the 2 spreadsheets conflicted and i think the new swingweight is about 344. Still good :D

haerdalis
09-29-2006, 02:50 AM
But will it play the same? Same as the safin setup I mean. It wont be as polarized will it?

Duzza
09-29-2006, 03:02 AM
But will it play the same? Same as the safin setup I mean. It wont be as polarized will it?
Well I wasn't worrying about weight distribution, just weight and balance mainly. No it won't play the same as Travelrjam's and my original specs were very rough (I measured my balance with a bloody ruler!) so it's probably very off but hey it was still fun to try and it played great.