PDA

View Full Version : Wristband?

serveboy
08-03-2004, 01:19 PM
Well, I've never played with a wristband but pretty much every player I see nowadays wears them. So while I was out buying my new shoes (Oscillates perfurated - had to buy some Barricade 3s :( ) I decided to pick up one of those wide Nike wristbands. I get home and try to put one of these things on. HS they are incredibly tight around the forearm! What's up with this?

Anyways, what purpose does the wristband serve other than for wiping sweat off the face and preventing arm sweat from dripping down to the wrist? Do they aid in preventing forearm/arm injuries? Could they encourage injury being so insanely tight?

I was trying to stretch one of them out to make it a bit looser.

Anyways, thanks for your input!

dantyem108
08-03-2004, 10:07 PM
They are meant to go around the wrist, not forearm. No injury prevention, just the 2 purposes that you said.

serveboy
08-03-2004, 10:51 PM
They're so tight it's hard to believe they don't have any affect in the way the muscles/tendons move.

serveboy
08-04-2004, 08:13 PM
Update: I asked my physiotherapist about it and she said it only serves those two purposes. It will not help in injury prevention.

dantyem108
08-04-2004, 08:33 PM
that's what I thought

speedofpain88
08-04-2004, 09:59 PM
No injury prevention but it changes the feel. When I don't have my wristbands on the racket feels lighter, which is weird. I play worse without one for sure.

TwistServe
08-04-2004, 10:11 PM
Tighter wristbands may draw more blood to your hands, or play other effects to your hand/grip.