PDA

View Full Version : is it ok to tighten every second string only?

morten
09-29-2006, 02:27 AM
so boring to string all of them... It seems ok, especially at low tensions.

pickles1107
09-29-2006, 03:18 AM
While it may work, you should never tension more than one string at a time (except when starting the mains if you are using floating clamps)

Richie Rich
09-29-2006, 06:18 AM
so boring to string all of them... It seems ok, especially at low tensions.
sure, if you like crappy string jobs

nViATi
09-29-2006, 06:20 AM
The grommets have a lot of friction. You will lose a LOT of tension stringing like that.

morten
09-29-2006, 06:29 AM
ok point taken, i will tighten every one, even the mains at first is important right?

j0hnd0e
09-29-2006, 06:39 AM
i wouldnt do it on a regular racquet but i did it on my o3 only on the side ports since there very little friction there and i didnt have a boomerang tool :|

theace21
09-29-2006, 03:04 PM
I have a friend that does it when he strings a racket. It drives me crazy. He is an awesome player - a 5.0 in his early 50's. He does it on a crank machine.

I would never do it. Can't get consistent results, and once you become a good stringer, it really doesn't save you anytime.

fishuuuuu
09-29-2006, 03:11 PM
You don't get consistent stringjobs regardless of the machine or tools used. Tension every string including the starting mains. For me, I tension both starting mains one at a time, just in case.

bsandy
09-30-2006, 08:09 AM
The grommets have a lot of friction. You will lose a LOT of tension stringing like that.

You have test results ?

bsandy
09-30-2006, 08:10 AM
i wouldnt do it on a regular racquet but i did it on my o3 only on the side ports since there very little friction there and i didnt have a boomerang tool :|

When pulling crosses, the mains cause more friction than the grommets.

Steve Huff
09-30-2006, 10:58 PM
That method was in the instructional manual I saw. It was called "The Idiot's Stringing Guide for Stringing Like an Idiot". Heh, it's in writing. It must be right.

morten
10-06-2006, 04:00 AM
ok now i did it the proper way and it was way tighter, like 6-7 pounds atleast. I like low tensions btw.

bsandy
10-06-2006, 09:00 AM
ok now i did it the proper way and it was way tighter, like 6-7 pounds atleast. I like low tensions btw.

So you're telling me there's 5-6 lbs of friction in one u-turn of a grommet.

morten
10-06-2006, 10:10 AM
together with one lenght of strings with friction extra yes.

nViATi
10-06-2006, 01:58 PM
You have test results ?
Check out your strings the next time you break them . :)

dancraig
10-06-2006, 02:32 PM
I don't double pull, but you might be surprised at how many "pro" stringers do. Of course they don't talk about it much. They simply add a few pounds to make up for the friction.

bsandy
10-06-2006, 08:50 PM
Okay . . . I had to test this . . .

I set up this rig, using an old racquet, 5 ft of synth gut, a fish scale, and a 3 lb weight . . .

http://i12.tinypic.com/3ziqt10.jpg

I pulled on the fish scale, raising the weight . . .

http://i12.tinypic.com/48ftt3d.jpg

The scale read between 6-6.5 lbs

I stopped pulling and let the weight slowly fall . . .

http://i12.tinypic.com/34r63vt.jpg

The scale read between 2-2.5 lbs.

I releated the test with a 10 lb weght and a 25 weight. (Sorry I couln't hold the camera, while I did these.) Both of these tests were +1.5-2 lbs pulling and -.5-1 lb releasing. I believe a 50-65 lb pull will be even less.

I beleve these conditions are close to a worst case senario. (With the exception to an impatient stringer on a lock out machine).

So . . . Is a 1-3 lb difference noticiable ? Probably not, especially because we always single pull the crosses, RIGHT ? ! ! ! ! ?

There's no way double pulling (mains) could cause a 5-6 lb difference (which might be noticeable).

. . . Bud

morten
10-07-2006, 12:21 AM
good work, but my main question was about the crosses too(mainly) when i didnt pull every cross tension dropped a lot, like 6 pounds, guessing a bit here, but have a good feeling of my ps 85 now ;) I agree bsandy that pulling enery second mains dont do too much damage, besides it is usually wise to have the mains atleast as tight as the crosses right.

jon-z
10-07-2006, 03:17 AM
For what it's worth, I pre-lace most of the mains, and tension every other one (obviously balancing the tension from one side to the other). I pluck the strings as I tension them to distribute the weight to both sides of the grommets. I tension every cross as I think there is much more resistance on the crosses (I do weave an extra cross ahead of the tension as it makes the weaving easier, and I freely admit I suck at getting a quick weave). I use a drop weight stringer and found that I had to LOWER the tension 5 lbs to match the string tension I'd get from my pro-shop. I've strung about 20 sets (about 1 a week) since I bought the stringer and I get the same feel on every one (except the first attempt on a practice racket).

Takes me a leisurely 50 mins per racket

bsandy
10-07-2006, 07:06 AM
I pull every cross. There's just way too much much friction not to.

I pull, straighten the string, and pull again on the crosses. It's all about a repeatable tension, rather than an exact tension, or speed.

. . . Bud

Kevo
10-07-2006, 07:23 AM
If you're stringing your own frame, then you can certainly double pull if you like. Especially since once you find your tension you can repeat the same procedure and get the same tension. I would never do this on someone else's frame though. Well, unless they asked me to.