PDA

View Full Version : Wow First hit with PK Redondo MP

RKS12
09-29-2006, 04:14 AM
Bought one from TW without demo-ing based on the specs and the comments here. It played great last night, exactly what i was looking for. Unbelievable control on groundies and it hits with a little more depth than other real flexible, low power frames. Excellent spin and angles. It seems to produce a low ball which is great for doubles. It can do the one thing that i really need in a 5.0 all court game, when you create a short ball (which you can create a lot with this frame) you can take a big topspin swing from mid-court and bring the ball down into a corner within 2-3 feet of the line every time, with no fear of hitting out. Only other frame i could do that with was the Fisher Pro Extreme FT which coinidentally also had a flex around 57. The problem with the Fisher is the sweet spot is small and inconsistent and the Redondo is neither, nice sized, consistent sweet spot. You can really paint the corners with this stick and another shot that i fell in love with is getting an angled ball to my forehand, you can just rip the ball on a low trajectory on a wider angle back to the forehand of the opponent with confidence. Agree with other posters that this 98 looks and plays more like a 95 but that is fine because the sweet spot is consistent. Btw had it strung at 60 with Dunlop Max Comfort. Vollies were very accurate but need to be struck firm. Looking forward to playing with this stick more.

stules
09-29-2006, 04:56 AM
Loving mine as well.
Wait till you start tweeking with a little lead. Do a search on that one.
Then find strings and tension to your preference as well, and the package just gets better.

josef
09-29-2006, 05:56 AM
i'm enjoying the PK Red 98 as well. i was killin em with my forehand last night. also my 1HBH is doing well.. But my 1HBH slice is still floating a lil high on me. I wonder if that is related to the flex rating... It's just something I'll have ot adapt too i guess. the racquet is pretty sweet otherwise.

Keifers
09-29-2006, 09:08 AM
RKS,
Congrats on getting a Redondo 98. Glad you're enjoying it so much.

josef,
Just a guess, but I'm thinking a tad more weight at 3:00 and 9:00 may get your slices to stay a little lower. Would help you "drive through your slice 1hbh", if that makes any sense.

BreakPoint
09-29-2006, 09:23 AM
It's nice to hear you guys are enjoying your Redondo 98's. I was wondering if any of you guys have also tried the Redondo 93 and would be able to do a comparison with your Redondo 98's?

Thanks

josef
09-29-2006, 10:58 AM
It's nice to hear you guys are enjoying your Redondo 98's. I was wondering if any of you guys have also tried the Redondo 93 and would be able to do a comparison with your Redondo 98's?

Thanks

i would love to demo a 93 and see how different they play. However, personally speaking, I'm not sure if i'm 'man-enough' to do it. I feel like I am barely good enough to be using the redondo 98.. lol. I'm still getting used to the heavier/smaller players racquet thing as I'm coming from a Ti. Radical 107. I must say I Do like the change though.

on a side note: I had a very brief demo with a Wilson nBlade 98 and I am seriously considering buying one as a spare stick (i'm thinking of becoming a racquet junkie.. haha). The weight was lighter and I feel it fits me better right now until I get a little better. The only thing I mean about that is that with the Redondo, you Really have to be prepared to hit every shot. The nBlade just took a lil less effort which to me translated to better playing as I have lazy feet after geting back into tennis after a 2 year layoff. I wish I could've had more time with the nBlade when I demo'd it but I only got to use it one time for 2 hours due to crappy weather during my demo period. I bought the PK Redondo 98 w/o a demo as I needed a racquet asap and I read so many good things.. I do not regret the purchase, I just need to get a lil better ;) and i'm not quite ready for the over 12oz racquets yet i guess.

josef,
Just a guess, but I'm thinking a tad more weight at 3:00 and 9:00 may get your slices to stay a little lower. Would help you "drive through your slice 1hbh", if that makes any sense.

Kiefers, thanks for the suggestion about adding some weight to improve my slice.. i've never been one to add weight to my sticks but I may experiement with it to see if that'll cure my slice issue. I would say it's me, but that used to be "my shot." I mean my backhead slice was brutal once upon a time. Now.. it's embarassing.. lol.

anyway, it's Beeautiful weather here in Louisiana.. I neeed me some Tennis!!

Keifers
09-29-2006, 11:30 AM
Kiefers, thanks for the suggestion about adding some weight to improve my slice.. i've never been one to add weight to my sticks but I may experiement with it to see if that'll cure my slice issue. I would say it's me, but that used to be "my shot." I mean my backhead slice was brutal once upon a time. Now.. it's embarassing.. lol.

anyway, it's Beeautiful weather here in Louisiana.. I neeed me some Tennis!!
You're welsome, josef. I'd like to add that I suspect you won't need to add all that much weight at 3:00 and 9:00. I've found adding some strips of head protector tape (I use the cloth type, Gamma or Babolat) usually does the job. Sometimes, just one strip is all that's needed. And head tape is much easier to put on, remove, and reposition than lead tape.

Good luck - whether you deside to experiment or stick with your stock stick. (Sorry ! I couldn't resist !... :D )

tennis_nerd22
09-29-2006, 11:31 AM
wow glad to see the positive reviews. im gonna buy a PK Redondo Mid and compare it to my yonex rds 001. there's no way in hell i can demo it here in canada so my best bet is to buy a used one and hope for the best.

just a couple of questions about the mid (or midplus):
1. How are they for serves?
2. How the "plow through" effect, is the weight nice?
3. Do you find it too demanding with its weight to play with it for very long (as in 2 hours or longer) matches?

thanks

newnuse
09-29-2006, 11:41 AM
The 93" has a giant sweetspot. It's quite easy to play with... very stable on off center hits. Don't let the size scare you off.

Keifers
09-29-2006, 11:42 AM
The 93" has a giant sweetspot. It's quite easy to play with... very stable on off center hits. Don't let the size scare you off.
I agree. Have had no problem with the head size at all.

It won't have the same pop as the 98; just use a nice full swing.

tennis_nerd22
09-29-2006, 11:47 AM
newnuse, keifers, thats great to know because i find my 98" yonex rds 001 has too much pop for my liking.

thanks for the info

Keifers
09-29-2006, 12:08 PM
newnuse, keifers, thats great to know because i find my 98" yonex rds 001 has too much pop for my liking.

thanks for the info
You're welcome. Try a smaller head size and see if you like it. You may find other advantages, too, besides less pop. Good luck!

P.S. I remember your posts when you got your PS Tour 90. The RDS Mid and the Redondo Mid will both be easier to play with than the PS, I reckon.

basil J
09-29-2006, 12:11 PM
I just reeceived my second Redondo 98" It is my main stick, and the more I use it the better I perform with it. I have 3" 1/4'' lead tape at 3:00 & 9:00. I use Klip kboom in the mains at 59#, Klip excellerator at 61#. I used a 200G MW the other night for a set, my all time favorite after not using one for about 2 years. I put it down after 1/2 hour and went right back to the Redondo. This frame is just plain solid. It works well with Multi, poly, gut, synthetics, but I like the hybrid the best so far. It needs a litlle lead in the hoop, but otherwise I have been extremely happy. I have tried some other frames within the last 3 months only because it took that long to get my second one, and they all fell short against the Redondo. It is a no bells/ whistles solid graphite based frame that you get out exactly what you put in. Dunlop should take a hard look at this frame for their next version of their 200 series. PK got this right, and I expect that this will be an extremely popular frame within the next year.

thejuice
09-29-2006, 12:19 PM
I just reeceived my second Redondo 98" It is my main stick, and the more I use it the better I perform with it. I have 3" 1/4'' lead tape at 3:00 & 9:00. I use Klip kboom in the mains at 59#, Klip excellerator at 61#. I used a 200G MW the other night for a set, my all time favorite after not using one for about 2 years. I put it down after 1/2 hour and went right back to the Redondo. This frame is just plain solid. It works well with Multi, poly, gut, synthetics, but I like the hybrid the best so far. It needs a litlle lead in the hoop, but otherwise I have been extremely happy. I have tried some other frames within the last 3 months only because it took that long to get my second one, and they all fell short against the Redondo. It is a no bells/ whistles solid graphite based frame that you get out exactly what you put in. Dunlop should take a hard look at this frame for their next version of their 200 series. PK got this right, and I expect that this will be an extremely popular frame within the next year.

I second Basil's comments.

tennis_nerd22
09-29-2006, 12:25 PM
You're welcome. Try a smaller head size and see if you like it. You may find other advantages, too, besides less pop. Good luck!

P.S. I remember your posts when you got your PS Tour 90. The RDS Mid and the Redondo Mid will both be easier to play with than the PS, I reckon.

haha thats good to know. thanks :)

newnuse
09-29-2006, 12:36 PM
I concur with the lead. It's good in stock form. I recently added a couple of inches at the 3/9 position. Practically the whole head is a sweetspot now. ;) The only spot that yields a weak hit is at the very top. I don't know how many times I've hit the ball very close to frame and it still goes into the court. Normally other rackets would twist in my hand and go out.

The 93" feels similar to the 98, with that muted but just enough feedback feel. It's feels more solid with better plow than the 98.

I'm amaze how much spin in generates for a 18x20. I strung my 2 rackets at 61/59 and 63/61. It's a little tight for me and since I don't break strings much, it's still the original string job.

I'm going to drop it do to the mid 50's...more power but I should be able to generate more spin to control it as well. Can't wait to serve with it at that tension. My serves are already spinning like crazy at 60lb... little less at 63.

Keifers
09-29-2006, 12:50 PM
I concur with the lead. It's good in stock form. I recently added a couple of inches at the 3/9 position. Practically the whole head is a sweetspot now. ;) The only spot that yields a weak hit is at the very top. I don't know how many times I've hit the ball very close to frame and it still goes into the court. Normally other rackets would twist in my hand and go out.

The 93" feels similar to the 98, with that muted but just enough feedback feel. It's feels more solid with better plow than the 98.

I'm amaze how much spin in generates for a 18x20. I strung my 2 rackets at 61/59 and 63/61. It's a little tight for me and since I don't break strings much, it's still the original string job.

I'm going to drop it do to the mid 50's...more power but I should be able to generate more spin to control it as well. Can't wait to serve with it at that tension. My serves are already spinning like crazy at 60lb... little less at 63.
newnuse, what strings are you using? Thanks.

newnuse
09-29-2006, 01:14 PM
1 racket had gamma tnt fat core... the other wilson sensation

don't have the racket in front of me, but i think i strung the wilson sensation was strung higher because it's a softer string

if the gamma is softer than that was strung at 63/61 instead, but i'm pretty sure the sensation was higher

I demo'ed a bunch of rackets, including the RDS001 90" mentioned before. It didn't do it for me. Just couldn't generate the kill shot with it... way too low power and the feel wasn't right.... hit the Redonod for 20 seconds and pretty much knew it was it...

For floating slices, I had that problem as well. The PK is pretty head light and generates tons of spin. The combo resulted in some floaters on slices. Lead tape at the 3/9 will solve this problem. It allows the head to power through better, better plow... a more penetrating slice...

Keifers
09-29-2006, 01:18 PM
1 racket had gamma tnt fat core... the other wilson sensation

don't have the racket in front of me, but i think i strung the wilson sensation was strung higher because it's a softer string

if the gamma is softer than that was strung at 63/61 instead, but i'm pretty sure the sensation was higher

I demo'ed a bunch of rackets, including the RDS001 90" mentioned before. It didn't do it for me. Just couldn't generate the kill shot with it... way too low power and the feel wasn't right.... hit the Redonod for 20 seconds and pretty much knew it was it...

For floating slices, I had that problem as well. The PK is pretty head light and generates tons of spin. The combo resulted in some floaters on slices. Lead tape at the 3/9 will solve this problem. It allows the head to power through better, better plow... a more penetrating slice...
Thanks.

Yeah, about the floating slices, that's what I figured.

RKS12
09-29-2006, 01:27 PM
One other thing about the Redondo is that it hits a real nice flat ball. My natural shot is topspin and i don't ever really look to flatten it out, but its so easy with that stick to just slightly change the stroke and it flattens out. Quite versatile on different types of strokes.

newnuse
09-29-2006, 01:39 PM
One other thing about the Redondo is that it hits a real nice flat ball. My natural shot is topspin and i don't ever really look to flatten it out, but its so easy with that stick to just slightly change the stroke and it flattens out. Quite versatile on different types of strokes.

True, it does hit a nice flat, penetrating ball. That's actually my natural stroke.... but when I need to generate massive TS, easy to do.

stules
09-29-2006, 03:07 PM
My Redondo 98 has been modded about 6 times now to try to find a reasonable setup. I tried weights up to 370grams and a SW of 365 to emulate Safins setup. Some have been better than others.
Settled on
346grams,
344SW and
6.5pts HL
Strings are Bab gut VS16 main #61
crosses at Lux BBalu #58
Rubberband dampener (feels very 'tinny' without it)

max
09-29-2006, 06:33 PM
Wow. This is really exciting stuff and it's making me think I'll have to get one for Spring 07.

Keep up the comparisons between the 93 and 98. This would be good stuff to know.

anirut
09-29-2006, 07:23 PM
Sorry for chiming in a bit late, my fellow Redondo lovers ...

... last night I went to watch Thailand Open ... will post you guys some pics ...

For those who are afraid to try the Redondo, I'd like to describe it in a few words: The Redondo is simply a "no regret" stick for players who are serious about tennis, whatever your level of play.

Just make sure you have the right strings and tension. Pretty string sensitive.

Cheers!

macersl
09-29-2006, 09:38 PM
One question for you Redondo guys: Can anyone compare the Redondo to the Ki 5 (PSE or non). They seem pretty similar (at least the 98" version).

I bought a Ki 15 a little while ago and it was a little light. I tossed a bunch of weight in the handle and hoop at 10 and 2....a little too much. I wanted to make it more like the PSE version at 11.5oz. It came out to be 12.6oz./8points HL. whoops. I decided to try it out before I tore it all back apart and I'm glad I did. I love the weight. I does not feel sluggish at all to me. But now one problem...I can't keep the ball from going long.

Now I come full circle... Ki 5 or the Redondo???? Positives/Negatives

anirut
09-29-2006, 10:21 PM
Redondo's got dense string pattern -- 18x20 -- so it's pretty much a control racket, you won't get many balls sailing long, unless it's really your off day.

Edit: the Redondo MP is actually a 95 sq.in. hitting area.

macersl
09-30-2006, 04:07 PM
Redondo's got dense string pattern -- 18x20 -- so it's pretty much a control racket, you won't get many balls sailing long, unless it's really your off day.

Edit: the Redondo MP is actually a 95 sq.in. hitting area.

...as apposed to the Ki 5, which is more on the power side of things???

josef
09-30-2006, 04:57 PM

dangit.. i guess i'm off to buy some lead tape.. too bad too.. i wanted to be a racquet junkie.. haha. It looks like my PK Red 98 might just be perfect once I add some weight at 3 and 9.

i'll update when i get my hands on some weight.

did anybody mention how good the Redondo looks? cuz personally.. i think it's dead sexy. ;)
thanks and goodday.

anirut
09-30-2006, 06:48 PM
...as apposed to the Ki 5, which is more on the power side of things???

... I suppose ... ;)

Haven't even touched a Ki 5 but, from having played open and dense pattern rackets, that's how I feel about the results of the string patterns. Also the Ki 5 is 100 sq.in. (if I'm not wrong) so it should be even more "poppy".

Polaris
09-30-2006, 09:05 PM
Nice to see some Redondo love here. Josef, put a white overgrip on your Redondo, and it will look even sexier. ;). Yes, it is one of the better looking racquets. On the serious side, I actually found the redondo MP a lot more comfortable with Wilson Pro Overgrip because I found it easier to hold. The leather grip seemed slightly slippery.

Whoever ordered a Redondo MP (+4 1/2) from TW and was told to wait should blame me. I bought the last one of two available redondo MPs in August. The next day, they were on back order. ;). The Redondo Mid is even more popular, it seems, being on back order from July until October.

I don't know how popular the Redondo is compared to other new racquets. But I really hope that it becomes popular enough to be reviewed by the TW folks. I am eager to read what TW's experienced testers have to say about it.

Keifers
09-30-2006, 09:10 PM
dangit.. i guess i'm off to buy some lead tape.. too bad too.. i wanted to be a racquet junkie.. haha. It looks like my PK Red 98 might just be perfect once I add some weight at 3 and 9.

i'll update when i get my hands on some weight.

did anybody mention how good the Redondo looks? cuz personally.. i think it's dead sexy. ;)
thanks and goodday.
Yeah, I think the Redondo is one of the best looking racquets ever -- superb choice of colors, layout, text fonts, etc. And beautifully finished.

anirut
10-01-2006, 04:40 AM
... But I really hope that it becomes popular enough to be reviewed by the TW folks. I am eager to what TW's experienced testers have to say about it.

I was thinkin' the same.

BTW, my Redondo has a bright yellow overgrip -- to match my yellow strings -- and just for the heck of being 'whacky'. :mrgreen: