PDA

View Full Version : Tired or Waiting on Demo - Ordered Racquet?

TripleB
09-29-2006, 07:02 AM
I'm just wondering if anyone here has ever ordered some demos that weren't in stock, got tired of waiting on them to get in stock, cancelled the demo order, and just went ahead and ordered a racquet?

Luckily all of the demos I ordered should be in within 2 or 3 weeks so it isn't that long. But if I were a person who had to wait a month and a half or more for some demos, I'm sure the thought of just ordering one would probably cross my mind.

TripleB

arnz
09-29-2006, 07:05 AM
Must not have been from TW?? When I demo'ed from TW, it took but a few days to get here, and I live all the way the other side of the country (NY).

TripleB
09-29-2006, 07:11 AM
Must not have been from TW?? When I demo'ed from TW, it took but a few days to get here, and I live all the way the other side of the country (NY).

Sorry, I'll go back and be more specific in my original post....I meant to say that you ordered some demo racquets that weren't in stock and you to wait a month and a half or more for them in stock before they were ever sent to you.

TripleB

emcee
09-29-2006, 07:17 AM
That happened to my friend and he ended up just buying his TT Warrior MP.

vkartikv
09-29-2006, 08:16 AM
I'm just wondering if anyone here has ever ordered some demos that weren't in stock, got tired of waiting on them to get in stock, cancelled the demo order, and just went ahead and ordered a racquet?

Luckily all of the demos I ordered should be in within 2 or 3 weeks so it isn't that long. But if I were a person who had to wait a month and a half or more for some demos, I'm sure the thought of just ordering one would probably cross my mind.

TripleB

Most of the people in the references section buy for that very reason

ollinger
09-29-2006, 08:59 AM
Intuition, TripleB, intuition....do you actually wonder it that has EVER happened? What would your guess be??

FuriousYellow
09-29-2006, 09:03 AM
Well, the current racquet I'm playing now (5G) I bought blind just because the guy who sold it offerred it up at such a great price and the thing looked brand new. I got lucky and it turned out to be a racquet I enjoy playing with.

There's something to be said about owning a racquet as opposed to renting (demoing). The number one advantage being time, of course, but there's also the ability to experiment with it if it doesn't quite fit you off the rack. There's the committment to make it work that comes with ownership because you've just spent your hard-earned bucks and don't want that awful feeling you've just wasted your money.

I will say I've had not so good experiences buying blind as well. You've probably demoed more racquets the me, so you know specs don't always tell the whole story.

Keifers
09-29-2006, 09:58 AM
There is no substitute for demoing a racquet and I've always appreciated TW setting up such a good demo program.

That said, it can be frustrating when the racquet you want is "out" for a really long time.

I bought a PK Type S based purely on reports here about its fine volleying capability -- and I wasn't disappointed. That purchase actually led me on to try and buy other PK Heritage frames, which I've also liked a lot.

One of my fave buys was my PK Type R, which I bought w/o demoing based on bcaz's excellent comparative review.

BreakPoint
09-29-2006, 10:11 AM
Yes, I did. After waiting for almost a month, and with the dates of each of the four demo racquets in my order continuously getting pushed back, I finally gave up and just cancelled my demo order and placed a new order and bought one of the four racquets. I was actually tempted to buy two of the four, but I thought that may be going a bit overboard and taking too much risk.

TripleB
09-29-2006, 10:42 AM
There is no substitute for demoing a racquet and I've always appreciated TW setting up such a good demo program.

I agree 100%....if it weren't for the demo program I would be out a lot more cash than I am now . I wish "TheGolfWarehouse" would do the same thing with golf clubs....now that would be awesome.

TripleB

Kevo
09-29-2006, 12:03 PM
I thought about it ordering instead of waiting. This last batch of demos took six weeks before they were sent. I'm glad I waited though because my guesses about what I would like were wrong to some degree. The APD is a little worse than I expected mainly on the backhand side. The Fischer Pro Tour which I expected to like the most doesn't feel nearly as flexible as I thought it would, and the grip shape is too square. I just don't seem to get the proper angle on my grips. They always seem a little off. The Pure Storm which I was expecting to like since I liked the Pure Control fairly well is actually my favorite. The DNX 10 mid which I thought would play closest to my RDX 500 mid just feels strange. It's also too long and too narrow. Bad for spin. It has too much pop to hit flat all the time, so it just didn't seem to work for me. I like it the least of the four which was a little surprising. I think I will pick up a couple of Pure Storms if the next few days of hitting don't make me reconsider.

I am really glad I waited though. Love the demo program. No one around here that I've checked with has the Pure Storm to demo. Golf Smith carries it online, but not in the store.

ramos
09-29-2006, 12:19 PM
There is a lot of good frames.
It's impossible to demo all of them.
We should learn the behavior of each specs
(stiffness; head area; beam; string patern; weight; swingweithg! ;material).
That will say how the stick works, without doing demos.
There is always a spec that is responsable for what we are feeling from a stick!
That is a selection way to choose.
That is my expirience...
Ramos

TripleB
09-29-2006, 12:58 PM
I am really glad I waited though. Love the demo program. No one around here that I've checked with has the Pure Storm to demo. Golf Smith carries it online, but not in the store.

Yea, I don't think there's much of a chance of me ordering one of my latest demo picks without playtesting them first. I ordered the O3 White, Pure Storm, Pure Drive Cortex, and Pure Drive Roddick 2 weeks ago (the last one was to arrive yesterday).

I just finished a playtest involving the Roddick and O3 White. I ended up liking the Pure Drive Roddick the best because I became addicted to it's power. I really loved the O3 White at net though...best racquet I've ever tried for a serve and volleyer. It even made this 99% baseline player look good up there. I demoed the Pure Storm and didn't like it much but that was over 2 years ago and my "perfect" specs of a racquet have changed a lot since then. I ordered the Pure Drive Cortex just to see if there's much difference between it and the Pure Drive of old.

The T-W Demo program is a God send for me. I only have one place within 40 miles that has any demos and the newest model they have is a Yonex ??-5 Midplus.

TripleB

Kevo
09-29-2006, 02:28 PM
The power on the Pure Drive can be addictive. I hit with a friends one day, and I did like the power. I liked it almost enough not to care that I was hitting quite a few long. The Pure Storm to me plays like a sedate Pure Drive. A little bit less of everything except control. A bit less spin, but still more than quite a few frames out there. A bit less power, but still plenty, and a bit less stiffness which is nice. It was very similar to the Pure Control actually. I thought the Pure Control had a little more pop than the Storm. And I am looking for a control frame mainly. I wanted something with good control that wasn't quite as heavy as what I've been using. I notice that my preparation can suffer sometimes when my mind wanders during a match, and that happens more often than I would like to admit.

TripleB
09-30-2006, 03:46 PM
Forgot to mention another important reason why I'm going to wait on my demos....to check the grip size. Babolat grips tend to run a little large so I can test out the 4 1/2" grip plus an overgrip to see if it's going to work or if I'll have to order a 4 5/8" grip like I do in every other racquet.

TripleB

andfor
09-30-2006, 04:35 PM
Forgot to mention another important reason why I'm going to wait on my demos....to check the grip size. Babolat grips tend to run a little large so I can test out the 4 1/2" grip plus an overgrip to see if it's going to work or if I'll have to order a 4 5/8" grip like I do in every other racquet.

TripleB

The larger grip size difference in the Babolats has been greatly exaggerated. Just ask my elbow.

TripleB
10-01-2006, 01:18 PM
The larger grip size difference in the Babolats has been greatly exaggerated. Just ask my elbow.

Ahhh...so you ordered 1 size smaller and it wasn't large enough which made your elbow hurt?

TripleB

andfor
10-02-2006, 12:26 AM
Ahhh...so you ordered 1 size smaller and it wasn't large enough which made your elbow hurt?

TripleB

Yes. Just make sure in the end you make the grip size right for you.

AlpineCadet
10-02-2006, 01:01 AM

TripleB

Depends on what you ordered, and how popular they are in the specific grip size you ordered. I waited almost 4 weeks for my demos to come in. Sit tight, because it's obvious you're anxious just like the rest of the regular population.

BTW. I believe you wrote a very bias review of the nCode Tour 90. ;)

TripleB
10-02-2006, 04:35 AM
BTW. I believe you wrote a very bias review of the nCode Tour 90. ;)

What do you mean?

TripleB

TripleB
10-02-2006, 09:59 AM
I can now understand how people might give up on their demos and just order the racquet.

Last week my order showed that two of my four racquets were in (Pure Drive Roddick and O3 White). Now it shows the following dates for my racquets to be in:

August 31, 2006
September 8, 2006
September 11, 2006
September 28, 2006

I can understand the September 28th date as the racquet may have been delayed in getting back in....but August 31st? :confused:

TripleB

BreakPoint
10-02-2006, 11:30 AM
I can now understand how people might give up on their demos and just order the racquet.

Last week my order showed that two of my four racquets were in (Pure Drive Roddick and O3 White). Now it shows the following dates for my racquets to be in:

August 31, 2006
September 8, 2006
September 11, 2006
September 28, 2006

I can understand the September 28th date as the racquet may have been delayed in getting back in....but August 31st? :confused:

TripleB

Ha ha ha LOL. The same thing was happening to me. :(

I finally realized that my odds of winning the Super Lotto were better than the odds of ALL four of the racquets I wanted to demo all being in stock at the same time. ;) So I just gave up and cancelled my demo order and ordered one of the racquets instead.

TripleB
10-02-2006, 12:22 PM
Ha ha ha LOL. The same thing was happening to me. :(

I finally realized that my odds of winning the Super Lotto were better than the odds of ALL four of the racquets I wanted to demo all being in stock at the same time. ;) So I just gave up and cancelled my demo order and ordered one of the racquets instead.

I guess it wouldn't have "thrown me for such a loop" if it hadn't been the fact that one of the four wasn't in stock when I ordered them and then two of the racquets were in stock last week. I will admit, at times it is somewhat amusing. The racquet's in stock, then it's not in stock, then it is in stock, and then it is supposed to be in stock on August 31st when today is October 2nd.

TripleB

AlpineCadet
10-02-2006, 12:23 PM
What do you mean?

TripleB

I think you know what I mean.

TripleB
10-02-2006, 12:59 PM
I think you know what I mean.

I don't....but OK.

TripleB

TripleB
10-05-2006, 06:30 AM
COULDN'T WAIT....SEE SIGNATURE BELOW!!!

TripleB

BreakPoint
10-05-2006, 12:44 PM
COULDN'T WAIT....SEE SIGNATURE BELOW!!!

TripleB

Congratulations, BBB!!!

I hope you won't regret it! ;) :p

TripleB
10-05-2006, 03:40 PM
Congratulations, BBB!!!

I hope you won't regret it! ;) :p

I don't think I will but even if I do I'm going to make an honest effort to stay with these racquets for quite a while...trying various strings and tensions until I find the one that makes these racquets as good as they can be. That's something I haven't committed to with my last several racquets. If I don't play well then I turn towards another racquet instead of trying a lot of different strings and tensions. The fact that we are having our second child in March also bodes well for my committment to these racquets...if you don't have the funds you can't buy new racquets ;) .

TripleB