PDA

View Full Version : Yonex RDS 001

jcbailey111
09-29-2006, 08:44 AM
Well whats everyone think about this racket....mid size of coaurse...thats the only way to go.....Ive been out of the game for ten years....Played College Tennis...Division I.....work and family kinda took priority....now Im wanting to get back into tennis.....

Have been playing most of the year with the FXP prestige mid...had good results but still seems like its missing something....Tried the ncode six one Tour...90...but not really thrilled with it.....Like the Yonex better...anyone got any.....suggestiosn thanks

hejjihoggu
09-29-2006, 12:02 PM
I was kind of in the same boat- played in college a decade ago, and just started back up a month or two ago. Via demo, i tried the rdx500 and nTour, among others. The nTour was a little flighty at the net, nPros were tough to hit (lots of homerun balls, although user error may have been a major component). The RDX was great, though it seemed a little flexy- a very similar feeling of control to the old racquets I used back in the day. I found the RDS to be a touch stiffer without losing the wicked sweet feeling of control it offered.

Can't really comment on the other racquets, but can say that even with a significant layoff, at least in my case, the "player" models still felt like home- the weight of the RDS seemed to jive with my muscle memory, and it feels great. Were you using a heavier racquet back then? Maybe a little extra weight might do the trick.....

jcbailey111
09-29-2006, 12:17 PM
i guess you could say I was using a heavier racket back then...pro staff original...was there anything else to use...it wasnt when I played....tried to play with it some this last week felt like I was lugging a tool iron around the court...not to mention it felt like some dislocated my shoulder.....after I got done.....I guess old age has finally caught up with me.......

ALthough I am pleased with the head racket (FXP prestige mid size) I have been using now...Ive bet some highly ranked players in turnaments this year i just feel like somehings missing....my pop isnt what it used to be....if that makes sense

MOfficer
09-29-2006, 12:37 PM
I'm in kind of the same boat. Played Division III tennis in college. Work, kids, a broken wrist kept me away from tennis for about 20 years. Started playing again two years ago with my old Prince Graphite Mid. It was ugly at first but I feel like I'm almost back 100%. Bought another Prince Graphite Mid for backup but I find the newer version plays very, very differently than my old original one. Got the new one to play closer to my old one by dropping string tension from 65 to 58.

Anyway, decided to start trying new racquets. Have demo'ed a boatload, including the Yonex RDX 500 Mid and the RDS 001 Mid just yesterday. I much preferred the RDX 500. Seems to have much more touch and feel. Was also very forgiving on off-centered shots. I know the RDS 001 is suppose to be more powerful but I didn't find that to be the case. Was very impressed by the spin generation of the RDX 500. Also tried both models of the nCode Six at the same time, the Tour and the regular 95" head. The latter I couldn't stand. The Tour was okay but didn't have the responsiveness and feel of the RDX 500.

Other racquets demo'ed include the Prince O3 Tour Mid, Flexpoint Radical and Prestige Mids, various Volkls, and a few others. The Flexpoint Radical MidPlus was decent for me but I felt like it was using an aluminum bat to hit a baseball instead of a wood bat. Felt harder on my arm. Did provide a bit more power though.

If you haven't tried the Yonex RDX 500, I'd recommend giving it a go. I plan on buying one and will even put a leather grip on it!

Mike

Kevo
09-29-2006, 02:36 PM
I use the RDX 500 mid with a bit of additional weight in the handle. I found myself hitting too hard and the weight helped for a while. Now I'm back to the point where I hit out too much when I try to rip the ball. I tried the RDS 001 mid and didn't find it to be any better. Still a great frame, but I think if you are looking for control the RDX is better. For power the RDS is better. Anyway, I've demoed quite a few frames, and the Babolat Pure Storm is in the lead for possible replacements. It has a similar swing weight, but is lighter and seems to be generating more spin for me when I give one a ride. I wouldn't say it can generate any more spin, just seems to work better for spin on flatter swings, if that makes any sense. The other frame I tried that was tempting was the Volkl Tour 10 VE mid. It had a good feel and lots of control, but it was enough of a difference to make me switch. The DNX 10 mid is not nearly as good IMO. Good luck with the search.

hejjihoggu
09-29-2006, 03:50 PM
Hmmm, interesting. I'd agree that the RDX may have a slight edge in the control department, but for me at least, the flexibility payoff resulted in my selection of the RDS. It just felt better overall. That being said, both of those racquets felt pretty stinking good compared to the others in the demo pile.

And jcbailey, when i decided to start back up, i dug the old PS 85s out of the closet as well, and had a similar experience. Still holding on to them, though...old age denial.