PDA

View Full Version : Customizing Wilson n6.1 16x18

timo35
09-29-2006, 11:51 AM
I want to set this racquet up a little better for my game. I would like a little more power on my serve, but i would like to maintain sufficient spin on second serves and groundstrokes. Basically, I'm looking to add some weight to the racquet while not losing too much of the original balance of the stock setup. If anyone could just recommend me some starting points that they liked with this racquet that would be greatly appreciated, as this will be my first racquet I've ever customized. Thank you very much.

vkartikv
09-29-2006, 11:52 AM
The racquet is pretty powerful as it is, even if you are talking about the 18x20. Have you thought about going down on tension a little instead of adding weight and counteradding to maintain balance?

Craig Sheppard
09-29-2006, 12:50 PM
What string are you using? That could make a big difference in power level. If you're using some sort of poly hybrid, that'll sap power. A good middle ground is trying some basic Prince Syn Gut w/ Duraflex... to me that's a good benchmark for power in a racquet. Like vkartikv says, this racquet is really powerful. I use the n6.1 16x18 and sometimes have trouble controlling it there's so much power. If you really want to kick the power up, try using a natural gut hybrid. By far the most powerful combination I've used in my racquets, it's noticeable. That, with vkartikv's suggestion of dropping the tension would give you more power than you'd need I would think. You might also try using 17 gauge strings instead of 16 if that's what you're using now. If you have the 16x18, you might go through strings rather fast, but you'll get more spin and some more power there too. This is a pretty hefty racquet, I'd do this stuff before adding weight.

timo35
09-29-2006, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys. I am currently using Wilson NXT 16g strung at 55, which is already fairly low for what I used to use. I will definitley try out some different strings before trying lead, for some reason I hadn't even thought of that.