PDA

View Full Version : Green Leather Grip

MOfficer
09-29-2006, 12:08 PM
About 20 years ago I bought a Prince Graphite Mid and had a replacement grip put on it that was green leather. It was highly contoured such that when wound on the handle, there were fairly deep crevices between each wrap. It was also fairly narrow in width, probably something like 2/3 of an inch instead of the usual inch. The final feature was that it was incredibly tacky. Unfortunately, it is so worn now that there's no way of seeing the name of the grip that had been imprinted in the leather.

Does anyone know what grip this was and whether it is still available. Thought the word "Green" and/or "Monster" was in the name but I could be making that up. An Internet search has come up with nothing.

Oh yeah, if it's not available, what is the tackiest, contoured leather grip on the market now?

Thanks,
Mike

Cruzer
10-01-2006, 05:34 PM
I have found the Babolat, Volkl, and Wilson all to have pretty good tackiness however none of them are contoured and I have not seen any contoured leather grips recently. Good luck finding some.

Duzza
10-01-2006, 05:45 PM
WOW! A green leather grip for the POG!! I use leather with the POG no overgrips but this would look pretty weird eh?

MOfficer
10-01-2006, 08:54 PM
...but this would look pretty weird eh?
Not at all! But I have to admit, I really don't care about looks when it comes to equipment, just functionality. Nevertheless, the grip looked great on the racquet. My POG is circa '84 so it's black with a green stripe and green lettering. The green leather matches perfectly.

But it looks like I'm more of a dinosaur than most on this board and was able to answer my question. I took the grip off my racquet and cleaned it with leather cleaner. Was able to just make out the lettering. The grip was made by Neumann Leathers of England and was called a "Greenee". Found one place in the country that still sells them so bought two more. Neumann has stopped producing them. That's a shame. They're great grips. I just don't "get" all these cushy, soft grips offered today. I'll take leather any day. Much better feedback and much better feel. I like feeling the hard bevels of the handles. Tells me exactly how the racquet face is positioned.

Mike

MOfficer
10-01-2006, 08:55 PM
...but this would look pretty weird eh?
Not at all! But I have to admit, I really don't care about looks when it comes to equipment, just functionality. Nevertheless, the grip looked great on the racquet. My POG is circa '84 so it's black with a green stripe and green lettering. The green leather matches perfectly.

But it looks like I'm more of a dinosaur than most on this board and was able to answer my question. I took the grip off my racquet and cleaned it with leather cleaner. Was able to just make out the lettering. The grip was made by Neumann Leathers of England and was called a "Greenee". Found one place in the country that still sells them so bought two more. Neumann has stopped producing them. That's a shame. They're great grips. I just don't "get" all these cushy, soft grips offered today. I'll take leather any day. Much better feedback and much better feel. I like feeling the hard bevels of the handles. Tells me exactly how the racquet face is positioned.

Mike

Ripper
10-02-2006, 06:03 AM
I just don't "get" all these cushy, soft grips offered today. I'll take leather any day. Much better feedback and much better feel. I like feeling the hard bevels of the handles. Tells me exactly how the racquet face is positioned.

Me, I just remove the replacement grip and double fold an overgrip on the handle; this is the ultimate feel!

Keifers
10-02-2006, 07:24 AM

Mike
Mike,
That's great you were able to find some. Can you tell us where you got them and how much they cost?

Many thanks.

NoBadMojo
10-02-2006, 09:21 AM
The Greenie was a great grip..the tackiest one I know of and it is less wide like the Fairway...they also impregnated the leather with a scent....the smell of pine..why? i have no idea.....you left the court with a piney fresh smell on your hand.....;O