PDA

View Full Version : Need help: looking for more economical cross solution.

Sebastien
09-29-2006, 11:23 AM
Right now, I am using Gamma Revelation 17 as cross string to play with poly as main. Being a multi, it adds some softness (which I need for my arm) and power to the poly and keeps a very good control. I love the crisp solid feel and nice pop it gives.

My problem is that it only last about 6-8hrs and I am open for a similar but more economic solution. It doesnít have to be cheaper. For now it costs me about $1/hrs ($7.25/7hrs), so if it cost $9 and plays for 12hrs itís good.

Thank you for any suggestion.

Sebastien
10-02-2006, 10:12 AM
please not all at once!

tennis-skater
10-02-2006, 10:24 AM
gosen reel maybe for 30bucks it'll give you about 18 full string jobs

Sebastien
10-02-2006, 02:03 PM
thanks for trying.
I want to keep at least the same level of playability. And keep playing with poly as mains.

diredesire
10-02-2006, 02:45 PM
I typically suggest soft monofilaments in this case, such as Ektelon Powerplay, Forten Sweet, but it looks like you're looking for something more... multi-like. I typically feel that the majority of your string job's "feel" comes from the mains, and that the crosses give the job that little extra bit of personality. I think you may be surprised by the feel you get:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACPRINCE-PPP16.html

As far as other multifilament suggestions that are durable, you might like some polyolefin(e) ribbon multis, although they play stiffer than their nylon/PU/etc multi equivalents.

The Tecnifibre Multi-Feel was extremely durable for the gauge when I played it, if that is something you would be interested in trying...

I think since the majority of the "crisp solid feel" and "nice pop" is coming from the mains anyways, that you'll probably like any of the above suggestions, but that's just me.

Keifers
10-02-2006, 05:38 PM
I typically suggest soft monofilaments in this case, such as Ektelon Powerplay, Forten Sweet, but it looks like you're looking for something more... multi-like. I typically feel that the majority of your string job's "feel" comes from the mains, and that the crosses give the job that little extra bit of personality. I think you may be surprised by the feel you get:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACPRINCE-PPP16.html

As far as other multifilament suggestions that are durable, you might like some polyolefin(e) ribbon multis, although they play stiffer than their nylon/PU/etc multi equivalents.

The Tecnifibre Multi-Feel was extremely durable for the gauge when I played it, if that is something you would be interested in trying...

I think since the majority of the "crisp solid feel" and "nice pop" is coming from the mains anyways, that you'll probably like any of the above suggestions, but that's just me.
diredesire,
I was very intrigued by your comment about TF Multi-Feel, having played with TF 515 17 before. Do you have experience with 515 (16 or 17) and how do you feel Multi-Feel compares? (I noticed TW groups these strings together...)

Many thanks.

Kevo
10-02-2006, 05:58 PM
Head FXP might be a good one to try. It lasted fairly well for a 17g multi in a full string job. I imagine it would be even better as a cross with a poly. If that doesn't work, the most durable 17 multi I've used was Klipper Zyex. Lasted about 20 hours for me as a full string job. That's about the same time I get out of full 17g Cyberflash which is my current string of choice. I would definitely use the Zyex over the Cyberflash if money weren't an issue. I can get almost 4 Cyberflash stringings for the cost of one Klipper Zyex.

steve s
10-03-2006, 05:23 AM
forten sweet works for be 3$

Sebastien
10-03-2006, 10:22 AM
I typically feel that the majority of your string job's "feel" comes from the mains, and that the crosses give the job that little extra bit of personality.

My poly is the softest poly ever made (ProSupex PolySoft) but it could feel a bit mushy alone, and the Gamma Revelation is adding that solid crisp and pop with control. I know, I have identified the feel from my cross separetely.

Thank you guys for your great suggestions. I am still open to more if you have ideas...

I'll give a try to:
Ektelon Powerplay
Forten Sweet
Head FXP
TF Multi-Feel

I have read good reviews on Alpha 2000, has anyone tried it?
Klipper Zyex is quite expensive and I have heard it doesn't last that long.
The Ektelon Powerplay wasn't in the TW list, just seems to be a lost link, do they still sell it?

Kevo
10-03-2006, 10:54 AM
The Ektelon Powerplay wasn't in the TW list, just seems to be a lost link, do they still sell it?

I have played Alpha 2000 in 18g, and it was very nice, but I broke 4 mains on it after about 3 1/2 or 4 hours of play. I don't know who you've heard from on Klipper Zyex, but it has been the longest lasting 17g multi I've tried. Solid consistent play for about 20 hours. I broke FXP in about 12, BB Ace 18 in about 13 hours, TNT2 16 only lasted 8 or so hours. Sensation 16 is about 8 hours, 17g about 4. Excel Premium 17g lasts about 10 hours but is very nice. These are all full string jobs. The only reason I use a poly now is because of cost. I would choose Klipper Zyex over anything at $10 or more. I can get Cyberflash by the reel and it's a lot cheaper. That's the only reason I use it instead of Zyex. The 17g is a sweet string. Anyway let us know what you try and how it holds up to the poly. I imagine the Klipper Zyex and FXP will both last longer paired with poly since they have a durable outer wrap that won't fray away easily. I've found that some multis have a thin outer wrap or not much of anything, that the ball will wear away at junctions. Once that goes the cross is soon to break.

Kevo
10-03-2006, 10:55 AM
The Powerplay link above works for me.

Sebastien
10-03-2006, 11:31 AM
The Powerplay link above works for me.

So does it for me, but I mean the Manufacturer is not listed on the main menu so I couldn't find even Ektelon.

Thanks for your feedbacks.

Where can I get the Klipper Zyex, it's not on TW, or is it a lost link like Ektelon?

diredesire
10-03-2006, 03:54 PM
Ektelon Power Play is located under prince strings, as they are under the same "mother" company, and it's a racquetball product.

As far as 515 compared to Multi-Feel, the multifeel was firmer, and more durable, the 515 was softer (one of the softer multi's i've ever played, actually), and more powerful. In the feel category, the 515 is a clear winner, the multi-feel is just ever-so-slightly muted, though.

If you google klipper string, you can find the zyex string, TW does not carry it. :(

Dennis Chan
10-05-2006, 12:32 PM
[quote=Sebastien]For now it costs me about $1/hrs ($7.25/7hrs), so if it cost $9 and plays for 12hrs itís good.
quote]

Did you try to work out how much natural gut would cost you, on the per hour basis? Klip Legend 16 is (still I think) $26 a set. So your hybrid job excluding labor) will be $16~$17. And the gut lasts me close to 20 hours. Not sure about you though.

ryohazuki222
10-05-2006, 01:13 PM
Why not try wilson sensation as a cross string? If you buy it in a reel it is more economical due to the recent price reduction.

I'm glad to see the power play was suggested! Just a couple hours ago I used 16g prince syn gut soft (same thing according to TW) to string my crosses for the first time. I'll be out ina couple hours to hit with it (sppp 1.18mm mains... i cant wait to try this string out as well!)

Sebastien
10-05-2006, 01:27 PM
Thanks for your opinion, appreciate it.
I haven't tried Natgut for age, maybe I should again, but I beleive that some multi are almost as performant for at least half the price.
Before trying the once above, I am trying Topspin Seven Sence, Topspin Fibre Touch and Pro Supex Maxim Touch.
But I'll keep the Legend in mind.

Dennis Chan
10-05-2006, 01:37 PM
Thanks for your opinion, appreciate it.
I haven't tried Natgut for age, maybe I should again, but I beleive that some multi are almost as performant for at least half the price.
Before trying the once above, I am trying Topspin Seven Sence, Topspin Fibre Touch and Pro Supex Maxim Touch.
But I'll keep the Legend in mind.

You're very welcome. Note that you need to consider playability over time as well. Multis are good for the first few hours. But you're stuck with diminished playability for half of its life. NG stays the same (well, almost) until it breaks.

jasonbourne
10-05-2006, 02:47 PM

I tried Alpha 2000. It is soft and comfortable in the crosses with Luxilon BB Orig in the mains. It feels great. It does not last long though. Less than 5hrs in my PS 6.1 95 16x18.

Klipper Zyex lasts longer than any multi I tried. In my PS 6.1 I break 16g synguts in less than 3hrs. The 16g Zyex lasts around 12hrs.

Currently, I use 17g Zyex in the crosses with different poly mains in my n6.1 90. The Zyex is the first to break and it has averaged 7hrs for me. The Zyex is also crisp and maintains playability until it breaks. Best multi I have tried in my multiple wilson pro staffs and dunlop 200Gs over the years.

I have not read of any durability and playability concerns about the zyex. Reviews has always been positive.

SteveI
10-06-2006, 02:57 PM
forten sweet works for be 3$

Hi,

Me too.. :-)

SteveI

Kevo
10-06-2006, 06:25 PM
I've been hitting with Cyberflash/Liberty in my Pure Storm, and it seems to be holding up well. The liberty hasn't started notching the cyberflash yet, and the liberty is holding up fairly well, with some minor scuffing. This is after about 6 hours. I have been breaking full cyberflash in about 15 hours so it looks like this could last a few hours longer.

SteveI
10-07-2006, 12:58 AM
I've been hitting with Cyberflash/Liberty in my Pure Storm, and it seems to be holding up well. The liberty hasn't started notching the cyberflash yet, and the liberty is holding up fairly well, with some minor scuffing. This is after about 6 hours. I have been breaking full cyberflash in about 15 hours so it looks like this could last a few hours longer.

Kevo,

The Ashaway Liberty is also a great cross string. Nice and soft, cheap and hold-ups up great. I just picked up a reel for $19.00. It is also a great string to have around for stringing High School players frames when they are looking to go cheap.

The strings I use as Crosses:

Forten Sweet
Gosen OG Micro
Ashaway Liberty

Regards,
Steve