PDA

View Full Version : String recommendations for a Volkl Classic 9 Pro

Keifers
09-29-2006, 11:58 AM
This is The Orange One (also called the Halloween stick by some).

I'm an all court player, mostly hit flat or with some topspin, some semi-western, no full western on the fh, 1hbh. I've used a hybrid of VS gut 17/Gosen JC 17 @ 61 in the past - nice. Would like to hear what strings (and tensions) you've liked and disliked in this frame.

Thanks in advance.

Keifers
09-30-2006, 08:34 AM
Bump.

Help, anyone?

Thanks.

jayserinos99
10-02-2006, 09:47 PM
I had picked up a few a while back; I just found them too light in stock form for my liking although it wasn't a bad frame. I had them strung with Gosen OG Sheep Micro 17 at 56-58 lbs.; it had decent pop and spin with this setup.

mctennis
10-03-2006, 05:46 AM
All I ever used was gut in mine. I always used 2 lbs below top tension recommendation.

Keifers
10-03-2006, 09:34 AM
Thanks for your responses, guys.

jay, I ended up adding some 1/4" lead tape at 3:00 and 9:00 and inside the throat. With an overgrip, the unstrung frame weighs 332 grams.

Very nice pop and stability -- with that lovely C9 flex.

jayserinos99
10-03-2006, 10:01 AM
^ I actually ended up with 3 c10 pros; they came strung at 60 lbs. with syn gut. Currently i have 3 dnx9s with various strings (poly/syn gut, natural gut/syn gut) at various tensions. I haven't tried the dnx9 with poly/syn gut yet but the natural gut/syn gut combo strung fairly low (less than 55 lbs) is really powerful.

Rabbit
10-03-2006, 10:01 AM
I used to play with it and used Prince Topspin 16 @58 pounds. It was a great combo.

louis netman
10-03-2006, 02:55 PM
This is The Orange One (also called the Halloween stick by some).

I'm an all court player, mostly hit flat or with some topspin, some semi-western, no full western on the fh, 1hbh. I've used a hybrid of VS gut 17/Gosen JC 17 @ 61 in the past - nice. Would like to hear what strings (and tensions) you've liked and disliked in this frame.

Thanks in advance.

You got it right. The flexy C9 & 10 do well with gut mains and a crisp mono like JC in the crosses at all tensions in the recommended range. BTW, Keifers, do you have a supplier for that JC 17???

Keifers
10-03-2006, 03:01 PM
You got it right. The flexy C9 & 10 do well with gut mains and a crisp mono like JC in the crosses at all tensions in the recommended range. BTW, Keifers, do you have a supplier for that JC 17???
No, lou, unfortunately I haven't been able to find any JC 17 since it was discontinued.

Do you know if it's still available in Japan? Because if it is, I may be able to get a friend here to ask his friend there to send some over.

louis netman
10-03-2006, 03:21 PM
No, lou, unfortunately I haven't been able to find any JC 17 since it was discontinued.

Do you know if it's still available in Japan? Because if it is, I may be able to get a friend here to ask his friend there to send some over.

after its discontinuation, I got reels from Rocky Mountain Sports in Colorado...they have since gone dry...It's a shame that such a fine playing, reasonably priced string is no longer made...

I guess you could try Japan. I'll take a reel or two if I can get it for 75 bucks...