PDA

View Full Version : Yonex RD-7 vs OO1 9O

armand
09-29-2006, 02:43 PM
I finally got a chance to use the RD-7 in a match. I used it for 2 sets. RD-7 was strung with RIP control at 60lbs and the OO1 with SPPP @ 61.5lbs which I used for a third set.

The main thing that I found is that the RD-7 is too flexible. It leads to an inconsistent response from the stringbed whereas the OO1 is very predictable basically no matter where you connect with it. OO1 has the same power and direction throughout and the RD-7 doesn't. OO1 has better control and power, predictability and sweetspot, imo.

Another thing that I found odd is that the RD-7 has much of its weight at the base of the throat(you can even see where the grip ends, the beam is thick and then suddenly thins as it goes up). This makes it harder to flick the racquet in quick situations but when you have more time to set-up, the racquet can really start moving and almost swing by itself and crush the ball with a really nice combination of spin and pace. And because the weight is where it is, you seem to have no choice but to swing correctly in a nice, even and smooth path.

It's funny because I've been playing and found that both my OO1 and Ti-8O both have weak throats, for lack of a better description. And so I was going to try and add a little weight under the grip at the top to see if that would help anything. And now the RD-7 comes into my lap!

Anyway, the RD-7 is dead. And I think it should remain that way; there's no going back. R.I.P old legend.

Ripper
10-03-2006, 10:52 AM
Very interesting, adely. Somehow, I had missed this, until now. I've been playing with the RD-7 for some time and kind of agree with most of your comments. I, even, started a thread to which nobody replied:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=122587&highlight=rd-7

So, you seem to be liking the RDS001 a lot; is is a Mid or a MP? I'd guess it's a Mid, because I seem to remember that you, also, use a RDX500 Mid. How do you compare the RDX500 to the RDS001 and the RD-7?

thejuice
10-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Very interesting, adely. Somehow, I had missed this, until now. I've been playing with the RD-7 for some time and kind of agree with most of your comments. I, even, started a thread to which nobody replied:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=122587&highlight=rd-7

So, you seem to be liking the RDS001 a lot; is is a Mid or a MP? I'd guess it's a Mid, because I seem to remember that you, also, use a RDX500 Mid. How do you compare the RDX500 to the RDS001 and the RD-7?

Ripper, if you paid attention you would see that he said it is a 001 90, which signifies he plays a Mid. DUH!!!!!!!!!!

(Sorry, I had to get you since you tend to "rip" everyone else when they don't read the whole thing)

;)

Ripper
10-03-2006, 12:11 PM
(Sorry, I had to get you since you tend to "rip" everyone else when they don't read the whole thing)

;)

LOL! I deserve it. And thanks.

Lagger
10-03-2006, 04:31 PM
I finally got a chance to use the RD-7 in a match. I used it for 2 sets. RD-7 was strung with RIP control at 60lbs and the OO1 with SPPP @ 61.5lbs which I used for a third set.

The main thing that I found is that the RD-7 is too flexible. It leads to an inconsistent response from the stringbed whereas the OO1 is very predictable basically no matter where you connect with it. OO1 has the same power and direction throughout and the RD-7 doesn't. OO1 has better control and power, predictability and sweetspot, imo.

Another thing that I found odd is that the RD-7 has much of its weight at the base of the throat(you can even see where the grip ends, the beam is thick and then suddenly thins as it goes up). This makes it harder to flick the racquet in quick situations but when you have more time to set-up, the racquet can really start moving and almost swing by itself and crush the ball with a really nice combination of spin and pace. And because the weight is where it is, you seem to have no choice but to swing correctly in a nice, even and smooth path.

It's funny because I've been playing and found that both my OO1 and Ti-8O both have weak throats, for lack of a better description. And so I was going to try and add a little weight under the grip at the top to see if that would help anything. And now the RD-7 comes into my lap!

Anyway, the RD-7 is dead. And I think it should remain that way; there's no going back. R.I.P old legend.

Perhaps a better comparison would to have the RD-7 strung with a poly and the 001 strung with the multi. 2 opposite ends of the spectrum in a sense, as you have a flexy frame(RD-7) with a soft playing multi strung @ a lower tension than a stiff frame(001) with a crisp responsive poly strung tighter.

Adely, have you tried any different strings in the RD-7? Also, how do you like the poly in the 001? Better than the Yonex multi's?

TonyB
10-03-2006, 05:35 PM
Yonex certainly doesn't make 'em like they used to, that's for sure.

Gone are the days of the R-7, 22, 27, etc. and the RQ-120, 150, 180, 220, 320, 360, etc. And even up to the SRD Tours. They had some really awesome frames back then... I'm surprised that nobody here is still using them. I know I sure am.

Now they've got like 8 frames, total, and all but 2 of them are ultralight and have big MP or OS heads. It's pretty pathetic. Yonex has all but given up competing with Head and Wilson. It's a shame, really, because they really had some superior frames about 10-15 years ago.

They seem to be hanging their hat on the RDS 001 now, but it's not nearly enough... it's too unwieldy for a serve and volley game and doesn't have anywhere close to the same smooth feel that the older racquets used to have. They should follow ProKennex's lead and start resurrecting some of the older graphite frames.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just a bit disappointed in their offerings lately.

armand
10-03-2006, 09:01 PM
Rip: I like the OO1 the best because it's stiffer and provides the most even, predictable response. I haven't played with my RDX for a while but I think it's better than the RD-7 too. I found the RDX to have more spin than the OO1. Most people say it's only a little difference but I find it to be significant, not sure why.
And yes, I saw your thread. I think the POG and 85 are still around and the RD-7 isn't is because of the stiffness.

Lagger: The RD-7 I have access to is my friends. He used to string it at 65lbs but it hurt his arm so he brought it down to 6Olbs. Some months ago, I tried it when it was at 65lbs and liked it better. But it was only for a 15 min hit, so I cannot make any conclusive conclusions.
He bought some SPPP so I'll have another go in the future. I will update, but I doubt the racquet would come very much closer to the RDX even.

I love SPPP in the OO1. But I actually think the SPPP is better suited to the Ti-8O so I'm kinda torn between the 2 racquets right now. This is why I attempted the RD-7 because it's right in between at 95sq" and thought it would be the perfect compromise.

Tony: I agree that the old Yonnie's feel better(or old racquets in general for that matter). But when it's time to perform, I wouldn't choose those classics over the new stuff; they are just too flexible. I think the SRD Tours are still very good though because they're stiffer.
I really like the OO1, but to make it perfect, I'd like it have more weight(I don't think lead tape can correct what it was designed with, however, I am experimenting. We'll see).

Keifers
10-03-2006, 10:38 PM
I have an SRD Tour 95 4 5/8, in really excellent shape. Please e-mail me if you're interested (click on my user name at left).

armand
10-29-2006, 11:29 AM
I have an SRD Tour 95 4 5/8, in really excellent shape. Please e-mail me if you're interested (click on my user name at left).For what it's worth, you made a very tempting offer that I thought about all this time.
But I can't do it!! Can't get myself into another racquet! Hope you understand and hope you find a fine home for her.

Ahhhh, just my grip size toohttp://www.xblracing.com/forums/images/xblrsmilies/frown.gif

Keifers
10-29-2006, 11:34 AM
For what it's worth, you made a very tempting offer that I thought about all this time.
But I can't do it!! Can't get myself into another racquet! Hope you understand and hope you find a fine home for her.

Ahhhh, just my grip size toohttp://www.xblracing.com/forums/images/xblrsmilies/frown.gif
No worries, adely. I totally understand about not getting into another racquet -- sometimes, another one is just too much to take on.

bertrevert
10-29-2006, 02:59 PM
Interesting comparison.

So in your RDS 001 you have a full poly set at 61? Any difference between mains and crosses? That seems incredibly tight. I will do poly in mine but was thinking at 54 or 56 with Alu.

I like the 001 MID's supreme accuracy. It's an amazing serving stick.

I played with an RDX MID (not HD) last night and found it flexier. I'm looking to add a little pop to my 001. I'll add some lead to the throat like you're thinking (to add plow-through without altering balance) and go for poly strings strung low, my elbow will be fine.

I wouldn't swap a RDX for my RDS because I like the stiffness of the RDS and, although the RDX is 320 grams and the RDS 325 grams, the RDX felt heavier. I think the balance point must be different, perhaps less head light?

The RDS merely reflect modern racquet trends - lighter, stiffer, yellower!

As such I reckon it's right on the money.

The RD-7 was strung with RIP control and it was spraying balls. Sheesh that's an inconsistent stringbed alright, and too much flex.

I agree about the 001 throat but it's only fractional. I've only felt a little vibration/slackness in that throat area once or twice. Good pickup to point this out though, for sure.

That Yonex upper hoop area does has enough bite in the serve. It's no pancake flipper. It extends the sweetspot of a full swing beautifully. However I find if I catch volleys up there that the ball just dies. You the same?

I think the 001 matches my defensive game well. I get to things when out of position and it basically is underpowered and controlled enough so that my returned balls go in. I don't spray them. I don't get much pace, but they do go back in. This has never happened to me with any racquet before. It's aided my game.

In offense I'm not getting enough force. I'm familiar with 95s and 98s so this 90 MID is something to live up to. Serve is fine. But I need a little more oomph. Any ideas other than the ones above?

It suits a relaxed style. If you get tense or tight it gives you nothing. But that's fine with me.

armand
10-29-2006, 03:52 PM
I did put weight in the throat, and you can read about my findings here: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=92237&page=10

I tried stringing mains and crosses at different tensions, but I just like it better if it's even. I still want it strung 2 piece though.
SPPP is soft and I just went largely by the recommendation of stringing only a few pounds less than other types of strings. Next time, I will string lower though. And if it was ALU like you're going, I'd go lower still.
But if you're looking for more power, I'd try a multi.

Have you tried the RD-7? The extra weight in the throat makes a big difference, but you wouldn't know what you're missing if you never tried it. I added the weight to the throat of the 001 and it's a different beast, hitting harder and heavier.

Yeah, it's strange about the upper part of the hoop because groundstrokes up there are still not a disaster. I can't think of too many instances volleying there though, because the only time I hit it there is when I'm on the full stretch. And if I'm on the full stretch, my opponent must be way off court, so the ball dying and just getting over the net is a good thing.

And I think it's really good for defense because you can take the pace out of your opponents shots and control them better. With my Ti-80 to a certain extent, when you you're on the defensive, you sorta gotta stop working the point and just hit with more power to dig yourself out of trouble. But you lose time that way.

I really like the racquet though I wouldn't exactly say that I have a relaxed style. My strokes are long and full, but I hit with my teeth clenched and knuckles white.

bertrevert
10-29-2006, 06:20 PM
If those were reversed you sound like superman: teeth white, knuckles clenched. THis is the way to play.

So 8 grams total in the throat. Sound advice. Will be looking at doing that. I'm still very pleased with the RDS @ stock. With 3 weeks play of about 10 (doubles and singles) matches I'm still giving it a lot more time to become second-nature. But right off the rack I knew it was right.

I have experienced a bell-curve in using the RDS 001 MID. Fisrt few nights couldn't make a mistake. Then a week or so of indifferent performance. Now coming back good with it. Does this happen with new racquets and you? Anyone else with that same experience with a new racquet?

The honeymoon, the reality-check, then the long-term relationship if it's good?

armand
10-29-2006, 09:57 PM
Yes, kinda. I was hitting very well with it the first few times but then couldn't hit well with it all because the racquet is very headlight which I'm not used to and becomes more so after you replace the useless grip it comes with with a real one.

I don't know how much of my other thread you read, but very soon after getting the racquet I added long strips of lead tape to 3+9 o'clock. The racquet lost some of its inherent character and lost control on serve and, well you can go back to the thread and read about it if you'd like.

Main reason I added lead was because it lacked stability against some hard hitters I play against. In stock form, it's ok against 95% of the club level players I play with. So I maybe you can leave it stock.