PDA

View Full Version : new jersey phill clay courts

i am a tennis freak
09-29-2006, 06:49 PM
i would like to try clay courts ..anyone know any in nj i can try...........i know there are public cts in central park , but looking for closer........even philly area.........................

dozu
09-29-2006, 07:03 PM
where do you live?

jj300
09-29-2006, 07:33 PM
where are you and are you talking about red clay or har-tru? red clay is up across from newark, probably the best red clay around the area. har-tru are way more prevelant especially in country clubs

strcmp
09-30-2006, 08:56 AM
What do you mean up and across from Newark? I'm looking for clay courts in NJ as well. I hope you don't mean the riverside courts in NYC. Those require a permit to play at or require you to pay a $7/hr charge for non-permit holders.

heycal
09-30-2006, 02:14 PM
What do you mean up and across from Newark? I'm looking for clay courts in NJ as well. I hope you don't mean the riverside courts in NYC. Those require a permit to play at or require you to pay a $7/hr charge for non-permit holders.

You think 7 dollars is too much to pay to play on well maintained red clay courts on the banks of the mighty Hudson River in the greatest city of the world? You expecting to beat that deal?

tarheels2323
10-01-2006, 03:02 PM
You think 7 dollars is too much to pay to play on well maintained red clay courts on the banks of the mighty Hudson River in the greatest city of the world? You expecting to beat that deal?

I actually can't believe you can get a good clay court in New York for that cheap.

Nextman916
10-01-2006, 03:19 PM
My dad lives in Montclair and when i go visit, i just play in this local park.....i dunno what its called but it has lights, and lots of competition. I also drove by the courts you guys are describing many times, but never played.

heycal
10-01-2006, 10:46 PM
I actually can't believe you can get a good clay court in New York for that cheap.

It's a public facility overseen by the city of New York, which is why it's so cheap. I've played on these courts twice. The noise from the West Side Highway right next to the courts is annoying, and it can be a bit windy at times, but the location in Riverside Park and view of the river is beautiful, and more importantly, they seem to take good care of the courts. A surprisingly true and consistent bounce, unlike the Central Park Har-Tru courts or some other har-tru courts I've played on.