played right now.it creates a lot of speed on the ball and I know that the
last couple of years that I was playing, I found it very hard to volley
against a dropping ball that dipped. It enables these guys to get a lot of
power and an amazing amount of spin from seemingly nowhere. I've tried to
use these strings, but it really doesn't suit my type of game, I don't seem
to volley very well with it."

VGP
09-29-2006, 09:01 PM
I agree.....players that prefer to volley not only have a hard time defending against poly technology, they can't even use it to play their own game.

I strung my PS 85s with Luxilon TiMo 18 and even with a classic frame like that, I was amazed at how much spin off the ground even I could get. At the net, I didn't quite like it all that much.

mctennis
10-03-2006, 05:45 AM
Johnny Mac has the same opinion about the strings. He says he has tried to use the synthetic strings without success. He says they are way too powerful for him.

Keifers
10-03-2006, 08:51 AM
On how racquet technology has effected the game of tennis:

"Racquets are not the main issue here, I would have to say the strings are
probably the dominating factor in the whole change of the way tennis is
played right now.it creates a lot of speed on the ball and I know that the
last couple of years that I was playing, I found it very hard to volley
against a dropping ball that dipped. It enables these guys to get a lot of
power and an amazing amount of spin from seemingly nowhere. I've tried to
use these strings, but it really doesn't suit my type of game, I don't seem
to volley very well with it."
Thanks for posting this.

I agree.....players that prefer to volley not only have a hard time defending against poly technology, they can't even use it to play their own game.

I strung my PS 85s with Luxilon TiMo 18 and even with a classic frame like that, I was amazed at how much spin off the ground even I could get. At the net, I didn't quite like it all that much.
VGP (and any others),
That's very interesting. Can you say more about volleying - or not volleying very well - with poly strings? What did the TiMo do to your volleys with the PS 85?

Thanks in advance.

vkartikv
10-03-2006, 08:53 AM
If there is anyone who knows how to volley, its Pat, so whatever he says about volleying should be taken as the truth. While my pacific polys are great from the ground, I find that nothing compares to nat.gut or soft multis at the net.

JohnS
10-03-2006, 09:54 AM
If there is anyone who knows how to volley, its Pat, so whatever he says about volleying should be taken as the truth. While my pacific polys are great from the ground, I find that nothing compares to nat.gut or soft multis at the net.

Awsome! I never thought about poly's actually affecting the volleys itself. I always knew about the lost of feel, but never considered what type of ball is returned off of the volley. Good insight!

p.s. is that Satriani you got there?
Crystal Planet... my favorite J.S. song.
I think Rubina is my roomy's favorite, but I like the variety of Crystal Planet!

Rabbit
10-03-2006, 10:00 AM
VGP (and any others),
That's very interesting. Can you say more about volleying - or not volleying very well - with poly strings? What did the TiMo do to your volleys with the PS 85?

Thanks in advance.

I used to play with TIMO 17 and TIMO 18. I changed to Volkl PowerFibre and found my net game again. I heard John McEnroe say more than once that volleys aren't as good with what he termed synthetics while he meant polyester.

My personal feeling is that every volley you hit with polyester feels like you bricked it. It just doesn't have a sweetspot kind of feel on the volley.

vkartikv
10-03-2006, 10:29 AM
Awsome! I never thought about poly's actually affecting the volleys itself. I always knew about the lost of feel, but never considered what type of ball is returned off of the volley. Good insight!

p.s. is that Satriani you got there?
Crystal Planet... my favorite J.S. song.
I think Rubina is my roomy's favorite, but I like the variety of Crystal Planet!

Yup, Satriani indeed. Satch Boogie and The crush of love are my favs. Polys are expensive and I really don't think recreational players should be using it just because the pros do.

Ripper
10-03-2006, 10:41 AM
The way tennis is played these days is more than just the strings and/or the raquets; it's a different style, which has become the main style, because it's more effective. This modern style may have been one of the reasons Sampras retired so young. Maybe, he thought he wasn't going to be dominant anymore and thought it would be better to leave on a high note. This is, exactly, why I always say Federer (and not just him) would have dominated over him, had he continued a couple more years.

dannyjjang
10-03-2006, 06:38 PM
how about syn/poly hybrid will that still be soft?

vkartikv
10-03-2006, 06:51 PM
how about syn/poly hybrid will that still be soft?

There are soft polys, the pacific force and topspin poly polar seemed a lot softer than BB and PPP to me. Also, poly the crosses is a better choice if you want to do a hybrid.