PDA

View Full Version : Tecnifibre x-one biphase vs NRG2 - which is better

a guy
09-30-2006, 07:01 AM
From experience what would you say is the better string of the two? I'm looking for quite a soft comfortable string with a bit of power on demand. (with reasonable durability)

Nextman916
09-30-2006, 07:11 AM
Ive tried both, the NRG2 was my choice of string for a while and it was great. The durability sucked imo, im not the biggest hitter but mine were frayed to the point of breaking after 2 week periods. I checked out the biphase because i was liking technifibre strings at the moment and going by TW's review it held up pretty well. Their was a little too much power for me, it was nice to have when you needed it but when i had to to setup and rip a shot, it was out by a margin. To me the string were designed for club players, who desire good ball feel which these strings did. It seemed on par with the NRG2 in every department, those .2 margin differences in TW's review really is neglible. I could have got it strung tighter and maybe experimented with it a little bit, but the string just wasnt worth the hassle to me. Theyre both good strings but nothing compared to klip or laserfibre. Durability wise they are the same, both were breaking after about 2 weeks.

a guy
09-30-2006, 07:15 AM
Hey thanks for the feedback there. I like to use a lower tension so maybe the high power of the strings could be a bit of a problem. Which Klip and laserfibre strings would you recommend I take a look at as alternatives?

Nextman916
09-30-2006, 07:23 AM
Klip X-plosive is good stuff, if you dont like to mix and match brands. You can choose the gut or poly on the mains and mix it up. I do this alot, i wouldnt back of tension on either setup. I like all of Laserfibre's strings, the Lasertour especially.

p0w3r
09-30-2006, 08:30 AM
I like X-One a lot more then NRG, although i would say they are similar. X-One to me feels softer and gives better ball feel when strung low. It feels like the ball would dwell in the stringbead and overall it feels great. However, it is more powerful then NRG but not by a huge ammount. If you use a low powered racquet and are seking for more power, X-One is the way to go.

127mph
09-30-2006, 11:20 AM
exactly what they guy above said.

John C
09-30-2006, 11:50 AM
I use both in 18ga. strung at 50# (X-One) and 52# (NRG) on a Neos 1000 in a PK 15G. I'm not a string breaker and they last about 3 months. IMO, the NRG has a slightly better feel and a little more power but doesn't hold tension as well and has slightly less durability. Both are excellent strings but I use more NRG and it's slightly less expensive.

Nextman916
09-30-2006, 12:53 PM
No offense John, but you dont hit very hard do you? 18 gauge NRG2 and still lasts for 3 months?!?! Thats crazy, i break 18 gauge in a couple matches. Maybe im a harder hitter than i thought....oh btw to be exact my local shop keeps records of everytime i string with them. Last time i used NRG2, it lasted me exactly 16 days before breaking.

Valjean
09-30-2006, 01:28 PM
It has little to do with how "hard" he hits when you're talking the limited time involved; in your timeframe too, it's all about the rubbing back and forth due to spin application.

Have you two even *thought about* string savers!?!!

Valjean
09-30-2006, 01:35 PM
Hey thanks for the feedback there. I like to use a lower tension so maybe the high power of the strings could be a bit of a problem. Which Klip and laserfibre strings would you recommend I take a look at as alternatives?
You're looking at low-power multis, and are recommended to try Klip Xplosive-- a different string mix altogether, and it's not even said. Indeed, the poly component--designed for durability and little else--is the very opposite of what most of us even go to a multifilament for.

Klip's Excellerator and Laserfibre's Laser Supreme are what you want in those lines. But to stay with Babolat and Tecnifibre, where you started, take in Babolat's Syntronic Brio and Tecnifibre's new one, Multifeel.

jcstennis
09-30-2006, 03:18 PM
i love the NRG2 17g... suits my game fine, great feel - way better than Prince Premier Softflex... and i think a bit better than NXT also. I also use to use Babolat strings... its a toss up at this point. Tecnifibre makes great strings! My stringer doesn't stock x-one anymore but has had a lot of requests for it lately, he is re-stocking it, very popular!

NoBadMojo
09-30-2006, 06:24 PM
My take on this is that the BiPhase resolved the flaws in the NRG2 string..those being poor durability and poor tension maintenance. It did so at the expense of ball feel and power....these are two very different performing strings

SteveI
10-01-2006, 04:27 AM
My take on this is that the BiPhase resolved the flaws in the NRG2 string..those being poor durability and poor tension maintenance. It did so at the expense of ball feel and power....these are two very different performing strings

Hi Ed,

I have to agree with you regarding the flaws in the NRG2 string. The Bi-Phase has much better durability and tension maintenance over the older NRG2. On the other hand the Bi-Phase plays closer to a mono than a multi IMHO. In trying to improve the NRG2, they removed some of the fine playing aspects (feel & power) also.

Regards,
Steve

127mph
10-02-2006, 05:11 PM
x-one to me was very powerful and had a nice mushy feel for the first outings, but then it suddenly lost all of its "oomph" it just played like a regular string after a while, but it is nice how it doesnt move much.