PDA

View Full Version : Racquet Questions

MUSCBoneDoc11
09-30-2006, 06:37 AM
Because I've always just played for fun and never taken my tennis game seriously, I haven't worried about keeping the latest and greatest in racquets. About 11 years ago I bought a Prince Michael Chang Extender and have used the racquet since then. At the time this racquet was one of the best--I paid $200. My question is, how does that racquet compare to today's $200 racquets? Are there only small differences that would be noticed only by very advanced amateurs or pros? Or, is this like playing with a wood racquet compared to how today's have advanced? I'd be interested in knowing. I'm thinking about turning over a new leaf and really working on my tennis game more and was wondering if I'm at a huge disadvantage with my old racquet. I know there are differences that I'm sure are EXTREMELY important to competitive players, but how do racquets that were top of the line years ago compare to today's for the average player? Thanks!

movdqa
09-30-2006, 07:17 AM
There seem to be lots of players here using 1980s technology and my current racquet is from the mid-1990s. Earlier this year I was using 1970s technology.

Some love the new technology and some love the old technology. I think that it depends on what you're looking for
in a racquet which may mean that you should spend some
time learning here about weight, stiffness and various other
factors that affect the playability of racquets.

Noveson
09-30-2006, 08:52 AM
Where exactly would be the difference between an old racquet compared to a new generation one? Less feel more power and spin? Or something different?

anirut
09-30-2006, 09:15 AM
Are you going competitive?

By the way, there's really no such thing as "the best" racket. If you play fine with you current stick, just use it. There's not a rule against it.

A lot of around here swear by the Sampras' Pro Staff. Many also swear by the Head Prestige Classic. The Prince Original Graphite is another classic favourite.

So, what's wrong with your Chang Extender?