PDA

View Full Version : Clay racquet

Tennis Man
09-30-2006, 11:27 AM
I've just returned from a 3-hour clay match and I have a question for our experienced and knowledgeable members. Which of my racquets in general is better for clay vs hard court (see signature).

Tennis Man
09-30-2006, 12:00 PM
Anyone? or there are no experts here. They must be all on the court now.

Well, I'll narrow it down. Which one is BETTER for clay?

Head LM Prestige Mid or Wilson n6.1 Tour 90?

Nar57981
09-30-2006, 12:06 PM
wow that was a pretty quick bump ><!

anyway since clay is slower, and better for spin, then i'd say use the one that gives you the best spin (i haven't tried any of these ><)

zhan
09-30-2006, 12:10 PM
probably n6.1?

Tennis Man
09-30-2006, 12:15 PM
why zhan?

I will tell later you what I found out but I need a few more opinions first.

to Nar57981: BTW, you are right about the spin, although not everybody plays with good natural spin and slice. Some people (incl Aggassi and Fed like nice flat shots, too). I personally can generate a decent spin with both frames. But these are top-notch pro frames and it's really hard to tell which one is better for clay.

nasri_babolat_storm
09-30-2006, 02:44 PM
erm..the racket with the most 'open' string pattern??give u more spin i reckon..

Tennis Man
09-30-2006, 03:35 PM
erm..the racket with the most 'open' string pattern??give u more spin i reckon..

Typically yes, but have you tried LM Prestige?

zhan
09-30-2006, 04:12 PM
n6.1 cuz of obvious bias that i got one meself lol
and i think its the greatest

Tennis Man
09-30-2006, 04:51 PM
n6.1 cuz of obvious bias that i got one meself lol
and i think its the greatest

Funny, I don't wanna talk to you. You got a virus, hahaha :)

nopiforyou
09-30-2006, 05:04 PM
When I saw this I thought of a racquet made of clay. How disappointed I am now.

zhan
09-30-2006, 05:32 PM
When I saw this I thought of a racquet made of clay. How disappointed I am now.

and why would that intrigue you?
clay racquet would be like 5lbs... and have a structural rigidity of 1

thejackal
09-30-2006, 06:33 PM
Why would you want to use a different racquet for clay? (in your case i guess it's a valid question) Personally I like to lower the tension a bit (1-2lb) on my regular setup.

Tennis Man
09-30-2006, 08:39 PM
So nobody want to give an expert opinion or is it just a Saturday night?

thejackal
09-30-2006, 08:42 PM
What do you play best with?

Tennis Man
09-30-2006, 08:43 PM
Both, why?

grizzly4life
09-30-2006, 08:52 PM
not sure if it's just where i play...

but i find alot of bad bounces on clay, so you may want a large racquet... any coincidence that nadal uses a pretty big racquet???

Tennis Man
09-30-2006, 08:57 PM
not sure if it's just where i play...

but i find alot of bad bounces on clay, so you may want a large racquet... any coincidence that nadal uses a pretty big racquet???

Well, if you read the question, its either 90 (16x19) or 93 (18x20) head. Wanna comment?

grizzly4life
09-30-2006, 08:58 PM
Well, if you read the question, its either 90 (16x19) or 93 (18x20) head. Get it? Wanna comment?

do you want people's help, smart ass?

Duzza
10-01-2006, 12:39 AM
I find the best is something with a lot of spin, not too heavy but definitely not too light. My favourite ever was the POG but maybe a bit heavy for the perfect clay racquet.

Duzza
10-01-2006, 12:41 AM
Hmm read your sig lol out of those 3 I would say in the order of your sig, but thats a very limited selection. Seems to me a lot of the clay courters use Prestiges.

Tennis Man
10-01-2006, 06:22 AM
Well, what happened to me yesterday was kinda interesting. I normally don't play on clay but I started to like clay more and more.

Yesterday I was playing with my LM and nCode. LM normally swings heavier and requires a bit more preparation for a shot (longer swing, etc) as it's less maneuverable but once you hit the ball it's a bullet (low, fast and with a decent spin). But b/c of the bumps on clay, the ball often changes direction and it becomes harder to control LM and instead of topspin I end up slicing the ball or just use defensive lobs which I'm not a big fan of.

On another hand, nCode swings much lighter and seems to be more maneuverable. It's also a precision tool on any surface. But I noticed a bit too much power with it and I still can't serve well with it although I started adding some lead at 3 and 9 o'clock. Also, my ball is not as heavy with it. Maybe I should add more lead to the handle. So, I was wondering why Fed (nCode) has so much trouble winning on clay ...

Anyway, these were my thought but I haven't received much feedback yet from you guys :(.

Duzza
10-01-2006, 02:34 PM
Bumps in the clay? Bag it before you play and when it gets a little bit unplayable....I used the Prestige Classic here on our version of clay and it was fine, you just gotta have a predictable racquet that you hit low unforced errors with. Thats how you win on clay.

The Pusher Terminator
10-01-2006, 04:17 PM
Whichever one that you play better with on clay! Try them both out.

There is so much that goes into this decison. You have to tell us more about yourself?

1. How fast is your serve?
2. Do you spin your serves, kick, slice or flat?
3. Whats your second serve like?
4. Are you a fast or slow runner?
5. How old are you?
6 What style of a player are you?
7. What grips do you use?
8. Do you play with slice or topsin or flat or a combination?

,,.....the list can go on and on. The bottom line is that it all depends on your game. For example, my best ground stroke is a slice. So on a hard court or carpet I love to use the APD plus as the ball skids. But on Clay slices suck so I need power and I switch over to the PD plus. But this can change for different people. For example if someone has a flat serve I would say stay away from the APD because its way to flexible. Bottom line...it all depends on you.

dave333
10-01-2006, 04:35 PM
actually, if you bake a clay racquet, it could work! just make sure you don't hit any framers and go safin on it ;)

sureshs
10-01-2006, 04:36 PM
I don't know of any pro who uses a different racquet for clay. They may lower the string tension a little, that is all.

The Pusher Terminator
10-01-2006, 04:49 PM
I don't know of any pro who uses a different racquet for clay. They may lower the string tension a little, that is all.

HMMMMM....who the hell knows what they use in the first place. Pete Sampras did however say that he had wished he had used a racquet with a larger head to play with at the French.

sureshs
10-01-2006, 04:52 PM
HMMMMM....who the hell knows what they use in the first place. Pete Sampras did however say that he had wished he had used a racquet with a larger head to play with at the French.

They are restricted by sponsorships of course. But even then, if the top players really wanted, the manufacturers could come up with a clay PJ specially for them, and even market it in Europe and South America as a clay-specific stick.

Duzza
10-01-2006, 04:56 PM
Nah of course they don't change frames, but they do change string setup. I said the Prestiges because from what I've seen a lot of the South Americans and Spanish and Euro's use them and excel on clay.

Tennis Man
10-01-2006, 04:57 PM

Sureshs, I am not a pro and I like both A LOT and feel comfortable with both. I just need you "objective" opinions :)

sureshs
10-01-2006, 05:25 PM
Sureshs, I am not a pro and I like the both A LOT and feel comfortable with both. I just need you "objective" opinions :)

That you won't get from me hehehehe

I have played only a couple of times on clay and kept slipping badly. I would focus on special clay shoes.