PDA

View Full Version : what's better? volkl dnx10 MP or Mid version

shiva29
09-30-2006, 04:42 PM
hi,

i'am pretty interesting about these volkl's frames so can you guys tell me the version you prefer and why?
i think Volkl's rackets look pretty cool

Ryoma Kun
09-30-2006, 06:05 PM
midsize, ive always used midsize racquets and they just feel so much better serving and volleying with them. the mid+ feels a bit stiffer than a c10 pro if you have ever played with them. the mid plays pretty much like a more flexible LM prestige mid.

hope this helps, sorry i couldnt add more

jonolau
10-01-2006, 06:42 AM
What racquet do you currently play with?

shiva29
10-01-2006, 07:41 AM
i play with a lm prestige but a 16.19 string pattern could please me

jonolau
10-01-2006, 07:53 AM
Are you using the mid or MP version?

shiva29
10-02-2006, 12:59 AM
the midplus

Kevo
10-02-2006, 08:12 AM
I thought the DNX 10 mid was too narrow. It was longer and more narrow than my RDX 500 mid. I found it difficult to get into a groove hitting moderate to heavy spin with way too many balls finding the sides of the frame. It felt pretty good for flat shots, but I like to hit angels with the RDX and the Volkl just didn't cut it. I wouldn't be surprised if the MP was the better version of the two.

NoBadMojo
10-02-2006, 09:14 AM
I favor the DNX10Mid over the MP if you can handle the extra swingweight. I found the sweetspots to be of similar sizes and the Mid to have a little more juice to it and a feel I liked better. The MP is easy to spin for a 18 mains frame however and is a very nice frame...guess I just wasnt crazy about the dense stringbed used in conjunction w. the DNX material. You should demo both if you can

shiva29
10-02-2006, 01:16 PM
SO NOBADMOJO can you tell me the differences of stiffness between the two frames...the midplus has a very crisp feel, does the mid feels like it?
i have tried the mp and i found that it was difficult to generate spin, even if for a 18/20 string pattern it was a good spiny racquet compare to others! is the mid more spin friendly or not?
last question : can tou really feel the difference of swingweight between the two rackets or are they equals?

NoBadMojo
10-02-2006, 06:06 PM
SO NOBADMOJO can you tell me the differences of stiffness between the two frames...the midplus has a very crisp feel, does the mid feels like it?
i have tried the mp and i found that it was difficult to generate spin, even if for a 18/20 string pattern it was a good spiny racquet compare to others! is the mid more spin friendly or not?
last question : can tou really feel the difference of swingweight between the two rackets or are they equals?

The mid feels softer than the MP and is harder to swing fast. I could spin both of these frames very well so <to me> they were pretty equal, but common knowledge sez 16mains stringbeds are more spinny than 18.

mileslong
10-02-2006, 08:52 PM
i also favor the mid. i can generate all the spin you could ever want and hit some serious angles with it. when its strung right it feels great. the MP was too powerful for me, i like the control of the mid better, i can also serve great with it...

Richie Rich
10-02-2006, 09:01 PM
i just hit with the dnx 10 mp again last week after trying it when it first came out. the one i recently hit with was strung with hurricane 17g mains and klip legend 17g crosses at 58 lbs.

first thing i noticed was the "un-noodleyness" of the upper hoop compared to the C-10 i used to own - Volkl did a good job of firming this up.

second thing i noticed, as Mojo said, was the spin you could get with the 18/20 pattern - probably the most spin i've got out of a dense racquet (even more than my TF 325's).

liked it on groundies and serve returns but I had to take a good cut at the ball. volleys were actually pretty good (never got to hit a lot of volleys with my earlier test of the frame) and serves came round better than I expected.

the weight wasn't an issue for me and I liked the balance - i'd leave the frame stock.

just didn't like it vs what i play with now but would seriously consider the MP if I had to buy another racquet soon. haven't hit with the mid yet but 93 sq inch headsizes don't match up with me to well.

scotus
10-02-2006, 11:14 PM
I thought the DNX 10 mid was too narrow. It was longer and more narrow than my RDX 500 mid. I found it difficult to get into a groove hitting moderate to heavy spin with way too many balls finding the sides of the frame. It felt pretty good for flat shots, but I like to hit angels with the RDX and the Volkl just didn't cut it. I wouldn't be surprised if the MP was the better version of the two.

I agree that the Volkl hoops are narrower than other brand racquets.

For example, DNX 10 MP (98 sq. in) can almost fit inside the hoop of Prince TT Warrior MP (97).

So if you want to use DNX 10 Mid (93), you ought to be able to handle 90 or below in other racquet brands.

NoBadMojo
10-02-2006, 11:26 PM
I agree that the Volkl hoops are narrower than other brand racquets.

For example, DNX 10 MP (98) can almost fit inside the hoop of Prince TT Warrior MP (97).

So if you want to use DNX 10 Mid (93), you ought to be able to handle 90 or below in other racquet brands.

I found the sweetspot on the Mid to be more forgiving than say 95 headsize from Wilson, the Slaz X1, etc

scotus
10-02-2006, 11:45 PM
I found the sweetspot on the Mid to be more forgiving than say 95 headsize from Wilson, the Slaz X1, etc

The sweetspot may be more forgiving, but at this size, some people frame shots.

Kevo
10-03-2006, 10:09 AM
I did like the flex and feel of the mid, I just didn't get the kind of grab on the ball that I do with my RDX 500. I was thinking it was because of the narrower shape, but it may have been the stringing. It just seemed like I could frame on both sides of the head way more than usual. I normally only hit both sides on my RDX when mis-timing a heavy topspin lob, or when I'm out of position and just goof up. With The DNX 10 mid, I hit both sides of the hoop on fairly medium spin groundstrokes quite a few times. I normally hit with a 17g poly though, and it was strung with NXT 16 probably at mid +2 since it came from TW. Might not have been the best string match, but it did feel good on flat strokes. Not as good as the Pure Storm though. :-)

shiva29
10-03-2006, 02:24 PM
Nobadmojo : are you playing with the dnx9? or the dnx10 mid? or both maybe?
so can you tell us why do you prefer the dnx9 to others...and if you add lead tape because it may feel a little bit light

NoBadMojo
10-03-2006, 02:34 PM
Nobadmojo : are you playing with the dnx9? or the dnx10 mid? or both maybe?
so can you tell us why do you prefer the dnx9 to others...and if you add lead tape because it may feel a little bit light

aye..i've been playing the dnx9 for maybe 6 months now but played the dnx10mid a lot and almost switched to it, but it was too heavy for me deep in a match. i've never felt the need to lead as i always felt i could make the minour adjustments required to make a frame work instead, and the only mod I have made to the 9's are leather grips. the 10Mid has the better ball feel, but i didnt wish to sacrifice the performance advantages of the 9, and now I am really liking the feel of the 9.
suggest you figure out your optimum swingweight and demo accordingly. i think some of the better frames which already have their layups tweaked for great performance get ruined by people screwing around with lead

Richie Rich
10-03-2006, 04:09 PM
i think some of the better frames which already have their layups tweaked for great performance get ruined by people screwing around with lead

good point. the dnx 10 MP is a frame, IMO, that doesn't need lead. it can handle heavy balls and has enough mass on it's own. for people who are 4.5/5,0 it's enough frame stock. same with most frames in the 11 oz + category. there is no need for a 14 oz monster unless on the tour and you can handle the SW

shiva29
10-04-2006, 01:01 AM
thanks for your very interesting opinions