PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about switching racquets

Tempyst
09-30-2006, 05:45 PM
Hi, I am a new user but not a new person to these boards and I couldn't help but ask this question to everyone out there.

I currently use a Prince More Attack 920 with Wilson Reaction strung as with God knows what the tension is, as I strung it at 60 in July and have been using the same strings since. I am contemplating about switching to a O3 Hybrid Tour for a more control oriented game, specifically in my volleys and backhand. Now, what I am mainly worried about is the power of the racquet. I am around a 3.0-3.5 player who prefers to be a counterpuncher with volley mixed in and at the same time, I am not a phyiscally strong player, just average, as I prefer to work on consistency. Is the racquet a physically demanding racquet? If I do purchase the racquet, I plan to string it @58lbs. with Prince Premier with Softflex 16g.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Suggestions? I would appreciate it :D

Edit: Just like to add that my errors are usually hitting the ball too long or wide when I am at the net. If I try to hit a lob at the service line, it usually goes 3 feet past the baseline and some of my volleys land inside the alley.

Tempyst
09-30-2006, 07:48 PM
bump for tonight....

Tempyst
10-01-2006, 06:01 AM
bump, board moves fast :(

Nar57981
10-01-2006, 10:19 AM
bump, board moves fast :(

lol yes they do

I would say, that you could get used to putting more power on your shots if you want the Hybrid Tour, or any other racquets like that. But i would say try restringing it before going for a new racquet, since it seems like your just hitting the ball long and wide. Also, Reaction has some power to it. If your still wanting one and want to keep it prince, I'd try out the the O3 White, i'm guessing that they Hybrid Tour'll be like a lot of heavier racquets and will make you be in possition to hit the ball right.
You should always demo before you decide on anything! What brands of racquets do you have access to? (ie Head, Prince, Wilson)

Tempyst
10-01-2006, 11:27 AM
I want to move to a heaftier racquet since it will force me to go full strokes and keeps my arm in better shape than lighter racquets, you could say the More Attack was a training racquet for me in starting out the basics. Now, I want to be more serious and competitive in the game. I swung the n6.1 95 (12oz.??) around a bit and it doesn't feel that much heavier than my more attack 920 which weighs 10.6 oz, so weight won't tire my arm out.

I have access to most of the major brands, but I want to keep it to Prince and possibily Wilson, but more towards the tour racquets.

As for stringing, you may be right about the string being too loose. However, my parents just restrung their Wilson Hammer 6 OS and Wilson Profile (old racquet, I know) 2 days ago and the difference of the feeling is that my strings feel dead while the other racquets don't. So what I might be doing is swinging too hard, which causes it fly everywhere, but I don't disagree with you that strings may be a big factor.

Nar57981
10-01-2006, 02:25 PM
Alright, yeah i'd say try out the Hybrid Tour and Wilson 6.1 if you want that weight.
Also try out the weight below that, like the nBlade, O3 White, and the nTour (i think that's what it's called; it's the orange one)

Tempyst
10-01-2006, 02:28 PM
Thanks! I'll check the racquets out and make my decision by the end of next week. :D

MoonVolleyer
08-06-2007, 08:20 PM
What was ur decession

SFrazeur
08-06-2007, 08:25 PM
Last I heard he was using a Yonex RDS racquet.

EDIT:
After hitting with this guy, I have switched to the RDS001 Mid. Great racquet, my short mini-review is up in the thread called "Impressed with RDS001 Mid".

-SF