PDA

View Full Version : Serving and Volleying-Racquet/String Choice?

MoBurke
09-30-2006, 06:20 PM
At the end of last year I finally stopped trying to pretend like I was Nadal and started coming to net. My volley, finesse, and athleticism were always my biggest strengths I just was too stubborn to come forward. Finally I started doing it on both serves and I've had much better results. I'm about a 5.0 on the NTRP scale and I have been using the Babolat Aeropro drive with 16 gauge pro hurricane. The racquet actually volley's pretty well, and it helps with the twist/kick serves as well. What I was wondering is whether I should A) Add some weight to areas of the racquet(I know very little about customizing racquets) B) Change my string C)Do all of the above. I string my racquets at 67 lbs. and have had no trouble volleying or anything, but I remember reading like a month ago in a press conference Pat Rafter mentioned something about how he has trouble volleying with Polyester Strings and I thought maybe I might be blind to what I am missing by using them to volley. Any help or suggestions would be well appreaciated, thanks!

thejackal
09-30-2006, 06:31 PM
how often do you break poly? Right now I use poly crosses with syngut mains, but they last 5-6 hours tops.

louis netman
09-30-2006, 06:43 PM
For net play requiring touch and finesse: 17g gut or gut hybrid.....

thejackal
09-30-2006, 06:46 PM
Also, i share the OP's opinion on the APD. It's by far my favorite Babolat racquet. A lot of controllable power and good spin. Very solid platform.

TonyB
09-30-2006, 06:48 PM
I had no problem playing serve and volley with the SPPP 17g tonight. In fact, my volleys have never been better. I saw no problems with touch. And power was 100% controllable.

I thought Rafter's comments were mainly geared towards the fact that the poly strings that his opponents were using allowed them to hit better passing shots. In other words, it wasn't helping the volley game as much as it was helping the baseliners and he just couldn't keep up. At least that's how I took it.