PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop Mfil200 2006

snoflewis
09-30-2006, 10:48 PM
i've been considering this racket for some time and was wondering if anyone here has tried it. im mainly looking for 16 main string patterns with 95-100 sq in heads, 65 or lower stiffness, swingweight of around 305-320, standard length, and a static weight of around 11.5.

this racket fits very well into my specs but has not been talked about much on this board. so has anyone tried it?

hoosierbr
10-01-2006, 12:09 AM
Do a search. Been talked about a bit.

snoflewis
10-01-2006, 12:17 AM
Do a search. Been talked about a bit.

hmm...i've searched numerous times...didnt really find much. would you care to post a link perhaps?

hoosierbr
10-01-2006, 01:17 AM
I've talked about it before...wonder why it didn't come up? Well, I can give you my assessment if that's any help.

It's a very sweet hit off the ground - very easy to swing, generate racquet head speed and has a nice whippy quality to it. Generates plenty of spin and you can flatten the ball out pretty well. The only two areas I didn't find appealing were on serve and slice. It's easy enough to serve with the racquet but I didn't find the ball to have much punch to it. And my slices didn't have much bite.

I'm used to heavier racquets as it is and was looking for something a bit lighter. The swing weight is perfect for me but it's just too light at 11.4 oz. Several have made the same comment and have added lead to make it a bit heavier. I tend to shy away from lead so I don't know how that would have worked.

Hope that was of some assistance.

FuriousYellow
10-01-2006, 08:47 AM
Snoflewis,

If you do a search of Titles only with the keywords "Dunlop 2006", you'll see about 10 previous threads discussing this racquet.

I've demoed this frame twice and l think it's a great frame. I compare the feel of it to the Yonex RDS001 but with a bit more pop and a little easier to swing because of the lower weight. Has a nice solid feel to it for a sub-12oz frame. Not a lot of shock gets transmitted even without a vibe dampener. A lot of light weight frames still feel "tinny" even if you add lead, but this racquet feels like one you can add build up if you decide to go heavier.

The head feels longer and narrower than frames I've used previously and becaus of that, it felt like I was hitting more in the upper part of the stringbed. Like other Dunlop frames, for me the grip feels bigger than normal grips. I'd probably drop a grip size on this one.

In terms of power, you'll have to supply your own but as I mentioned previously, it felt more powerful than the RDS as I was able to hit the ball deeper with more consistency using the same swing. It was also very easy to generate topspin with this frame. I didn't get to serve with it until the second demo, but even with what felt like worn out strings I was able to get some decent pop on my serves and the control was very good.

The frames I demoed were both the "demo" version factory strung with (I think) Max Comfort. The second time I demoed it, it felt like it needed to be restrung. Bear that in mind if your demo arrives and you see the Dunlop logo painted on the strings.

If this racquet falls within your specs, you might also want to try the aforementioned RDS001 and the Gamma Ipex 7.0 MP as comparison.

tennis_nerd22
10-01-2006, 09:16 AM
i've been considering this racket for some time and was wondering if anyone here has tried it. im mainly looking for 16 main string patterns with 95-100 sq in heads, 65 or lower stiffness, swingweight of around 305-320, standard length, and a static weight of around 11.5.

this racket fits very well into my specs but has not been talked about much on this board. so has anyone tried it?

snoflewis i read your posts about you selling your rackets cuz they're too demanding because you dont play as often and so on, but have you given the rds 001 MP some thought? you could always put a couple of grams of lead in the hoop for more stability or higher SW if thats what you'd like but it does fit your specs above.

superjumbo
10-01-2006, 09:57 AM
I think I mentioned before that I'm currently deciding between the Dunlop 2006 and the TF 320 16 x 20. I like both frames very much and I'm having a hard time making a choice.

I like playing the 2006 with Gosen OG Micro Super 16g at mid tension. The racquet has a large sweet spot that seems to be located mid to maybe slightly high on the stringbed. Without lead the 2006 hits a quick ball, not a heavy ball. You can generate lots of spin and can play very good defense because of its manevaurability. Sometimes it's a little difficult to hit flat powerful put away shots because of the lack of mass. Spin serves are excellent while flat bomb serves aren't as good as they are with other sticks. The racquet is comfortable while not being overly flexible. On mishits the racquet can feel a little unstable. Overall I'd say that this is more of a control oriented frame with decent pop. It's not a stick for people who want to bludgeon their opponents by overpowering them from the baseline or playing serve and volley.

With a littke added lead (total of 6-9 g placed throught the frame), as is expected, my shots became a little more powerful, easier to flatten out, more penetrating from my 2HBH side, and easeir to hit flat serves with. Of course adding lead made it a bit harder for me to generate topspin but I was getting plenty, maybe too much, before. Even with lead, this is still more of a control stick.

I think this is a pretty good overall racquet. Add to that the price and it's hard to beat.

snoflewis
10-01-2006, 05:13 PM
thanks for everyone's opinions. if i do end up settling w/ this frame, i'll probably have to add about 8-10 in of lead at 12 o'clock.