PDA

View Full Version : ATP Sunday: And the Trophies go to . . . .

sseemiller
03-07-2004, 01:29 PM
Here's Dubai. Lopez played a great first set, but then it was the Federer Express all the way. I don't have the other ATP notes yet, but Vince Spadea decided it was time to get a title, playing a three set thriller against Kiefer. Well done to him. And Moya won Acapulco, 6-3, 6-0. So I'm pleased about that. :lol: Wonder what happened to Verdasco in that match; sounds like a women's finals score. :lol: Guess we'll find out later.

Interesting, as you see below, that Federer isn't expecting to do particularly well in IW, but he has great hopes for Miami. Must like the conditions better in Miami.

I'm off to IW soon; see ya when I get back. In the meantime, unlike many tourney websites, the one for Indian Wells is great, with live scores and updates. Check it out at:

http://www.pacificlifeopen.com/10/

The women's draw comes out Monday, and the men's on Tuesday. I may have a chance to post those. BTW, here are the folks who got wildcards: Alex Corretja, Thomas Enqvist, Tommy Haas, Marat Safin, Alexandra Stevenson, Iva Majoli, Alex Bogomolov, Tatiana Golovin, Viktoriya Kutuzova, Angela Haynes, Maria Kirilenko, and Sesil Karatancheva of Bulgaria, with two additional women's spots to be determined.

RESULTS - SUNDAY, MARCH 7, 2004

Singles - Final

(1) Roger Federer d Feliciano Lopez 46 61 62

Doubles - Final

(1) Fabrice Santoro/Mahesh Bhupathi d (2) Leander Paes/Jonas Bjorkman 62 46 64

ATP MEDIA NOTES - SUNDAY, MARCH 7, 2004

FEDERER IS FIRST TO DEFEND DUBAI TITLE

* Top seed and INDESIT ATP 2004 Race leader Roger Federer, is the first to defend the Dubai title. Goran Ivanisevic reached consecutive finals in 1996 and 1997, as did Nicolas Kiefer in 1999 and 2000, but no one has won this event twice, until today.

* Lopez, playing in his first ATP final, performed like a man possessed in the first set with a attacking tennis at its best and was rewarded the first set 64. However, Federer showed why he is number one by raising the bar and challenging the Spaniard to keep level in the second and third sets but Lopez found the going tough and lost the next two sets 16 26.

* Federer is now 16 wins from seventeen starts for 2004. Although Roger is confident going into Indian Wells, he doesn't expect anything great until he gets to Miami where he feels he's a good chance at winning the Miami title.

WHAT THE PLAYERS SAID:

Federer: "He definitely played good tennis and it was difficult to comeback against him especially to give him the lead like I did after I got broken in the very first game. I knew right away when I gave him that start it would be difficult. I had many, many chances to come back but I felt it (the match) could swing away so I was happy to change some things in the second set and from then on it went really well. I changed my return, because every time I had break chances on the "ad court" and every time I thought I played a good point but I lost it. So I had to take more risk."

"I thought he played unbelievable tennis in the first set and came up with some great shots, big power, great serving and he totally deserved the first set."

(How do you rate this win and title?) "Very high! Especially to comeback from a set down and to win, it's very difficult in general in tennis especially in the finals. I thought experience could play a role, and it did a little bit because he probably got a little frustrated. This (title) is very high in my rankings, defending title is something else than winning the first time."

Lopez: "Well I'm happy because I had a great week. I was playing so good especially at the beginning of the match. I was close today, I almost beat the best player in the world so I have to be happy."

"He (Federer) was returning my serve so good and then he served unbelievable in the second and third sets. He was getting better and better as the match went on but I was getting a little down as the match went on. The thing is, I was playing wonderful tennis in the first set but it's not easy to keep it going."

(What did you learn from this experience?) "Many things, I get confidence for the next tournament and then the experience, to play with Roger in a final. We have played three times and he has beaten me three times, I have always played good with him and I have always lost which means he is a very good player, he's the best player. This is a great experience.

sseemiller
03-07-2004, 01:30 PM
I just saw this on http://www.tennis-x.com and figured it was worth posting. It's the IW TV schedule:

ESPN INDIAN WELLS TENTATIVE SCHEDULE (EST)
ESPN2 03/14/04 SUN 02:00P 04:00P LIVE EARLY ROUND COVERAGE DAY #1
ESPN2 03/15/04 MON 05:00P 07:00P LIVE EARLY ROUND COVERAGE DAY #2
ESPN2 03/15/04 MON 10:00P 12:00A LIVE EARLY ROUND COVERAGE DAY #2
ESPN2 03/16/04 TUE 05:00P 07:00P LIVE EARLY ROUND COVERAGE DAY #3
ESPN2 03/16/04 TUE 10:00P 12:00A LIVE EARLY ROUND COVERAGE DAY #3
ESPN 03/17/04 WED 03:00P 05:00P LIVE WOMEN'S QF OR MEN'S 4TH RD
ESPN2 03/17/04 WED 05:00P 07:00P LIVE WOMEN'S QF OR MEN'S 4TH RD
ESPN2 03/17/04 WED 10:00P 12:00A LIVE WOMEN'S QF OR MEN'S 4TH RD
ESPN 03/18/04 THU 03:00P 05:00P LIVE WOMEN'S QF OR MEN'S QF
ESPN2 03/18/04 THU 05:00P 07:00P LIVE WOMEN'S QF OR MEN'S QF
ESPN2 03/18/04 THU 10:00P 12:00A LIVE WOMEN'S QF OR MEN'S QF
ESPN 03/19/04 FRI 03:00P 05:00P LIVE WOMEN'S SF #1 OR MEN'S QF
ESPN2 03/19/04 FRI 05:00P 07:00P LIVE WOMEN'S SF#1 OR #2 OR MEN'S QF
ESPN2 03/20/04 SAT 01:00A 02:30A DELAY WOMEN'S SF#2 OR MEN'S QF
ESPN 03/20/04 SAT 03:00P 05:00P LIVE MEN'S SF #1
ESPN 03/20/04 SAT 05:00P 07:00P LIVE MEN'S SF #2
ESPN2 03/21/04 SUN 03:00P 05:00P LIVE WOMEN'S FINAL
ESPN2 03/21/04 SUN 05:00P 07:00P LIVE MEN'S FINAL

Ronaldo
03-07-2004, 02:42 PM
Susan, TTC will cover the qualifiers on Saturday, the 13th.

Fee
03-07-2004, 03:10 PM
Actually, the Qualies will be over by then. TTC will have cameras on the Main Stadium all day long and will just show whatever matches happen in front of them, mens and womens.

sseemiller
03-07-2004, 04:14 PM
Translation: You'll be seeing a lot of Americans. :lol:

Although, the seeds get first-round byes on the men's side, so they won't be playing until Sunday or Monday. The main draw for the men starts on Friday; the women start earlier. So likely no Agassi or Roddick. But I'm thinking you may be seeing Lindsay, Jennfer, etc., by the weekend.

Thanks for the info, Fee.

sseemiller
03-07-2004, 04:17 PM
And here's the Acapulco info. Scottsdale is a bit slow. :( Congrats to the Bryans on their win.

RESULTS - SATURDAY, MARCH 6, 2004
Singles – Final
(1) C Moya (ESP) d F Verdasco (ESP) 63 60 :mrgreen:

Doubles – Final
B & M Bryan (USA) d JI Chela (ARG) / N Massu (CHI) 62 63 :mrgreen:

MOYA WINS HIS 2nd TITLE OF THE YEAR IN 4 FINALS (5 tournaments played)

· Top seed Carlos Moya won his second Abierto Mexicano de Tenis Telefonica MoviStar in Acapulco after defeating young fellow country man Fernando Verdasco in straight sets. This is Moya's 2nd title of the year (w Chennai). Moya extended his 2004 record to 18-3. In Acapulco he has only lost 2 times and extends his record to

· Young talented Spaniard Fernando Verdasco played his first career ATP final. The young player from Madrid had only reached 2nd round as best result on the ATP. The talented lefty will enter the Top 100 for the first time in his career (will be 66 in the INDESIT ATP Entry Rankings).

WHAT THE PLAYER'S SAID

Moya: "It was a great match in a great week. I am very happy. When I started the week I was not playing my best tennis but I think that today I did managed to get to my best tennis."

"The final was very even sat the beginning. I was very solid and he was risking a lot and I thought that he would start missing but I continued at a very good level and maybe he was a bit tired at the end. The truth is that I am very happy."

"It has been a great start of the year. It was a shame I could not play the OZ Open. Anything could have happened there. But in any case after the injury (in Sydney) I had my doubts but I managed to play well in Buenos Aires and hopefully the problems are over."

"Now it is time for the North American hard court swing. I am really looking forward to it and also for the Davis Cup back at home in Palma de Mallorca where hopefully we will manage to win."

Verdasco: "I am happy for the final. This has been a dream come true since I played the final against a great player like Moya with a lot of experience. This result will give me a lot of confidence. I managed to reach one of my goals of reaching the Top 100. I am sure this will give me a boost in my confidence to improve my ranking and become a better player. Hopefully I will manage to win my first ATP title.

"My tennis got better during the week and as I said I have more experience . I was a bit tired during the final and on top of that I found a great player like Carlos with hitting great shots from everywhere. In any case I am a more experienced player and happy to be here."

I would like to dedicate this final, almost a win for me, to my family who has always supported me, my coaches Pepo Clavet, Ignacio Truyol and Vicente Calvo and all my friends back in Spain"

About Lopez in Dubai "Feliciano is my best friend, he is like my brother and I am sorry he lost. Still it is a great result for him and he played against the #1 player in the world. I am sure he will learn from this and still it is important to be in the final. I will talk to him tomorrow and in any case will see him soon in Indian Wells.

DOUBLES FINAL

· The Bryan's extended their personal Acapulco love affair with another win against Nicolas Massu (CHI) and Juan Ignacio Chela. Massu was playing his firsat career ATP Doubles final.

· The Bryan brothers showed once more why they are World #1's and why they like Acapulco so much (3rd time they play here). This was their 27th final and their 17th win. At the same time it is their 6th final in a row and their 4th in those 6 finals.

Bryan's: "We love coming to Acapulco. It is one of our favourite tournaments of the year. it is the third time we come to Acapulco. We love it so much we brought here our mom who is by the way the first time she see us win"

sseemiller
03-07-2004, 04:51 PM
And of course, Scottsdale just rolled in. They must have been holding it up just to aggravate me. :lol:

RESULTS - MARCH 7, 2004
Singles - Final
(4) V Spadea (USA) d (7) N Kiefer (GER) 75 67(5) 63
Doubles - Final (4) Leach/MacPhie d Coetzee/Haggard 63 61

ATP MEDIA NOTES – SUNDAY, MARCH 7, 2004

SPADEA DEFEATS KIEFER IN THREE SETS FOR FIRST CAREER ATP TITLE

No. 4 seed Vincent Spadea outlasted No. 7 seed Nicolas Kiefer 7-5, 6-7(5), 6-3 in two hours and 44 minutes to capture his first career ATP title. It was the longest final on the ATP circuit this season. Spadea, playing in his 223rd career ATP level tournament, was appearing in his third overall final, the first since August 1999 in Indianapolis (l. to N. Lapentti).
Spadea served for the match at 5-4 in the second set and was two points away (30-all) from the title before Kiefer broke and then won the tie-break 7-5. Kiefer was on the verge of taking control of the match when the German had three break points on Spadea's serve (0-40) in the first game. But Spadea won five straight points and saved another break point in his next service game. The decisive break came in the eighth game as Spadea broke and then served out the match at 40-love.
Spadea saved seven of nine break points in the match, including all four in the third set. Kiefer only had a 47 percent first serve mark and he double faulted eight times while hitting nine aces.
Spadea, who came into Scottsdale with an 0-4 career mark at the tournament, is the third first-time winner on the ATP circuit this year, joining Antony Dupuis (Milan) and Joachim Johansson (Memphis).
Kiefer was appearing in his second straight ATP title match after reaching his first U.S. final in Memphis two weeks ago. The 26-year-old German was looking to capture his seventh career ATP title, the first since Hong Kong in October 2000.
In the doubles final, No. 4 seeds Rick Leach and Brian MacPhie defeated South Africans Jeff Coetzee and Chris Haggard 6-3, 6-1. The 39-year-old Leach is the oldest ATP doubles winner since 40-year-old Sherwood Stewart won in Orlando in March 1987. It was Leach's fourth career title in Scottsdale (1987, 1989, 1996, 2004) and the first for MacPhie in Scottsdale. It was also the first title together for Leach-MacPhie. They were finalists in San Jose last month and Coetzee-Haggard reached their second straight final. They were runner-up in Memphis two weeks ago.
WHAT THE PLAYERS SAID:
Spadea: (on winning his first ATP title) "Yeah, it's cool. I never realized and maybe my focus wasn't to do these kinds of things, but maybe it was. I'm going to have a different mentality from now on. I thought just being on the tour was fun. I didn't know there were so many rewards. I am very excited and it's a great win for me…A better late than never thing. "

"I didn't think there was that much of a monkey on my back. I didn't think there was that kind of pressure, like I had been to so many finals and it was getting ridiculous. But I was a former top 20 player and you can't find many players that have reached that level without having a title."

"To win a title, to beat Andy and James along the way, and looking comfortable to close it out, and then having to dig as deep as I've ever had to dig and to finish it off is wonderful. I have to look in the Thesaurus for a better word to say."

Kiefer: "If someone would have told me that I would have been in the two finals, I would have taken it straight away. I'm disappointed because I had so many chances to win and I didn't. I felt he was tired and didn't feel so good but I didn't take enough chances against him."

Leach: "I really can't believe it and I was happy when we got to the final in San Jose last month. I started the year ranked 94th and I'm playing as much as I can. The goal at the beginning of the year was to get in the Top 50 and win a title. And now I'm just about to get both of them. I love the game and that's why I keep playing. I never thought I would play this long and my body has held up pretty good."

MacPhie: "We feel good on the court together and we're glad to still be out here playing. It's pretty cool to win one with him and especially since he's 39 years old. We've been playing well together and it's great Ricky decided to come back this year."