PDA

View Full Version : how much 'feel' am i losing...

woody6.1
09-30-2006, 10:10 PM
from using the gamma worm dampener on my n6.1 16x18 ? A couple days ago my coach hit a couple balls with it and said he coudn'lt feel the true play of the strings. On that stick i had alu rough/gosen polylon 54 all around.
To those a little more experienced and/or who've used many different dampeners, how much feel is lost at the expense of the comfort of the wormy dampener, compared to using something smaller (sampras 'O', wilson 'w', or rubberband) ?

carpetgrub
09-30-2006, 10:51 PM
Sorry, to be simplistic... but remove it and you'll find out how much feel you are missing. You really need to find out for yourself, nothing someone will say will apply to you, because it's a personal choice.

Keifers
09-30-2006, 11:10 PM
Sorry, to be simplistic... but remove it and you'll find out how much feel you are missing. You really need to find out for yourself, nothing someone will say will apply to you, because it's a personal choice.
Good idea. It is the only way to tell.

As an alternative, the OP can try using a smaller dampener, such as an O ring, or Wilson W, or a #64 rubberband.

You'll get more sound feedback for sure, and for many of us, that makes a real difference in "knowing" how the strings are striking the ball.

Swissv2
09-30-2006, 11:14 PM
from using the gamma worm dampener on my n6.1 16x18 ? A couple days ago my coach hit a couple balls with it and said he coudn'lt feel the true play of the strings. On that stick i had alu rough/gosen polylon 54 all around.
To those a little more experienced and/or who've used many different dampeners, how much feel is lost at the expense of the comfort of the wormy dampener, compared to using something smaller (sampras 'O', wilson 'w', or rubberband) ?

as other people have said, everyone has their own preference. Do what you feel is the most comfortable. Try different style of strings.

Your coach probably likes full synthetic gut, or natural gut. You have chosen poly, which deadens the feel just a bit.

La Bomba
10-01-2006, 03:48 AM
The Ncode 95 is already a fairly muted and comfortable racquet, with a worm it dampens out nearly all the feel and the nice feeling of the string you have in their. Try it without a dampener and I'm sure you will like it, it wont feel as stiff without the dampener. If that doesn't work out try a smaller dampener like the O ring or W dampener. I hope it works out for you :)

slice bh compliment
10-01-2006, 04:45 AM
Quatify? Convenient misspelling that splits the hair between qualify and quantify.

Well, let's really dork out here. Empirically.....what do you think you're missing out on? Somewhere between 20 and 30 Nastase units per joule? 2 rpms per kph? 2 mmg of endorphins per shot? BE careful, the experts say Nastase Units and endorphin loss can really add up over a three set match.

How much feel do you feel you're missing?
How does that make you feel?
Is it okay if ask you about your relationship with your parents?
;)

Keifers
10-01-2006, 07:32 AM
The Ncode 95 is already a fairly muted and comfortable racquet, with a worm it dampens out nearly all the feel and the nice feeling of the string you have in their. Try it without a dampener and I'm sure you will like it, it wont feel as stiff without the dampener. If that doesn't work out try a smaller dampener like the O ring or W dampener. I hope it works out for you :)
Good point. The n6.1 has a very muted feel to begin with. I use a rubberband dampener on my 18x20 n6.1.