PDA

View Full Version : Flexpoint: Real or Hype?

rich s
10-01-2006, 07:22 AM
I've been looking for a new racquet lately. Something a little lighter with a little bigger head and a lower swingweight than the 98" players racquets I have been using in recent years.

I had the opportunity to unlimited access to a Babolat RDC this past week, so I put a few frames on it to home in on what I was looking for weight and swingweight wise and come across an eye opening situation.....

One of the frames that caught my attention was the new fire engine red Head Flexpoint Fire (the one you can't by online). I put it on the RDC and it came back with a swingweight in the 300-teens and a stiffness of middle low 60's (after 3 measurements of swingweight and stiffness).

The thing that really opened my eyes was the shape of the frame as the RDC deflected it. IT WASN'T THE SHAPE THAT WAS DEPICTED IN ALL THE HEAD FLEXPOINT ADS YOU SEE. It had a gentle uniform curvature to it just like every other non-Flexpoint racquet I put on the RDC, no defined kink at the Flexpoint was seen......

Flexpoint.....Real or Hype?.......I say hype.

I decided on the Volkl DNX V1 if anyone is interested.

rich

abenguyen
10-01-2006, 07:27 AM
i do believe the flexpoint is real and a hype. it can work if u hit in the sweetspot. but otherwise anywhere else it becomes a hype. i myself like the flexpoint fire and am in the process of buying it. I like it because it fits my game and basically no one out there has one (except a few people or course)

Keifers
10-01-2006, 07:36 AM
The thing that really opened my eyes was the shape of the frame as the RDC deflected it. IT WASN'T THE SHAPE THAT WAS DEPICTED IN ALL THE HEAD FLEXPOINT ADS YOU SEE. It had a gentle uniform curvature to it just like every other non-Flexpoint racquet I put on the RDC, no defined kink at the Flexpoint was seen......

Flexpoint.....Real or Hype?.......I say hype.

I decided on the Volkl DNX V1 if anyone is interested.

rich
That's very interesting.

Can you give us a more detailed description of how the RDC measures stiffness? Thanks in advance.

rich s
10-02-2006, 08:09 AM
The handle slid under an adjustable bar that is tightened down to hold the racquet in place. The frame sat on a fixed cross bar at about the point where the yoke and the bridge merge. At the tip was an "L" shaped component that was attached to the machine and pulled down on the top of the hoop.

The whole set up was basically a simply supported beam, but instead of the load being applied near the center and reacted at the ends, the load was applied a the tip of the racquet and reacted by the fixed elements at the bridge and handle.

vinnier6
10-02-2006, 08:35 AM
i dont believe flexpoint works any more than ncode, hypercarbon, thunder extreme whatever...yada yada yada....but i like the fp rad tour that i have and i did like the other racquets that i demoed with other marketing crap...

fastdunn
10-02-2006, 10:22 AM
Anybody know e-mail contact to Head ?
I would like to ask them to release high speed video or something
that proves it pockets better....