PDA

View Full Version : Effects of a leather grip

NoBadMojo
10-01-2006, 07:55 AM
We thought it a good idea to Stickify a thread about leather grips. Here's some info..maybe more than you wish to process ;)

-Leather grips are firmer than cushioned grips, and many feel as though that translates to more/better ball feel. Leather does transmit more sensation to your hand and beyond, but can also transmit more harmful shock so be careful about using leather on very stiff frames or if you dont have good technique. Personally I feel leather gives me more a feel of preciseness as cushioned grips almost seem to twist around a bit on me in comparison.

-Leather allows you to feel the bevels more, and makes for more precise grip changes.

-Leather may give you the feeling of a larger gripsize. This is because the leather is firmer and compresses less when squeezed. The thickest leather grip I know of is the Volkl, and the thinnest, the Gamma. The others I've used (babolat, wilson, fairway) all feel somewhere in between

-Leather does add swingweight and alters the balance of a racquet, making it more headlight..how much? not a great deal, and depends upon which leather grip and ones' sensitivity to such things. I recall someone taking the time to actually precisely weigh the various leather grips, comparing to some synthetics, and maybe they can add to this sticky. I don't play by measurement, choosing instead to play by feel and performance. I have found Volkl leather grips to be the heaviest and Gamma to be the lightest, with the others falling in between. This matches the thicknesses as alluded to above

-Fairway Grips? They're great but hard to find and expect to pay around 30 bucks or so for them. They are also less wide.

-Tackiness. You will likely loose some of the feeling that your grip is secure with leather, and that's why many choose to use a thin overgrip over top the leather as you get the best of both worlds. In general, calfskin grips feel more secure and supple than regular leather

<end>

vascoboy
10-18-2006, 07:48 PM
too uncomfortable, and slippery...nothing like synthetic, rubbery, sticky grips...curious how others feel about leather grips...

thejackal
10-18-2006, 08:05 PM
i wouldnt play without one (i use overgrips over it). i like the extra feedback

TheSnowMan
10-18-2006, 08:23 PM
I cannot play without one neither. The lower part of my leather grip feels significantly smaller than the top for some reason.

psp2
10-18-2006, 08:58 PM
I love Fairway leather grips w/ a single layer of Tourna Grip. The bevel feel is the best!!

MasterTS
10-18-2006, 09:00 PM
I love leather.

snoflewis
10-18-2006, 10:27 PM
I love leather.

same here...i'd use it if my racket wasnt heavy enough already

kchau
10-18-2006, 11:23 PM
leather pronounces the bevels a bit more, i like my bevels.

leather + wilson pro, or yonex grap=heaven. especially when they are not stretched, its the perfect combo.

Duzza
10-18-2006, 11:38 PM
too uncomfortable, and slippery...nothing like synthetic, rubbery, sticky grips...curious how others feel about leather grips...
They're really not that slippery. You get used to it.

Chang
10-19-2006, 12:13 AM
They're a lot better with overgrip like Wilson pro or Yonex supergrap. tournagrip isn't that bad either.

Robbie_1988
10-24-2006, 05:00 PM
They give me reassurance and peace of mind. I can feel the position of my grips more due to the "sharp" bevels so I know where my hand is.

Feel is also great with a Wilson Pro Overgrip/Tourna Grip over it.

frayed
10-26-2006, 09:15 PM
Just trying to figure out which leather grip to select based on thickness. Plans are to put Tournagrip over the leather. Looking to add some extra feel and slightly larger than normal grip size overall. Any thoughts?

mhstennis100
10-29-2006, 02:29 PM
I put 2 Babolat leather grips on my N6s and slapped some tournagrip on, feels so much better than with the stock replacement grip. Those are the only 2 leather grips I've ever used so I'm not sure how they compare to other leather grips.

aroddick
11-09-2006, 04:38 PM
the lower part of the grip is smaller becasue you hold the bottom part of the grip most of the time. So its compressed.

tennis_nerd22
11-09-2006, 05:59 PM

leather + wilson pro, or yonex grap=heaven. especially when they are not stretched, its the perfect combo.

agreed :) lol

pNoyr3D
12-04-2006, 03:37 PM

Hm.. Sounds great!! I am going to get leather replacement grips for my racquets and probably going to buy Yonex SuperGraps for overgrips, hope it's as good as it sounds :).

federer_nadal
12-11-2006, 04:44 AM
leather grips are great, what is not great are huge big blood blisters from using hard leather grips that pop all over your white grip and spray slightly onto your face while serving as it did to me last night.

BiGGieStuFF
12-11-2006, 04:58 AM
leather grips are great, what is not great are huge big blood blisters from using hard leather grips that pop all over your white grip and spray slightly onto your face while serving as it did to me last night.

Sounds like yo'ure holding onto her too tight.

Just Hold On Loosely, but don't let go
If you cling to tightly,
you're gonna lose control

-38 special

Ripper
12-11-2006, 06:34 AM
Even, better than leather is the synthetic grip that comes (or used to come?) with Yonex raquets (not the perforated one). What makes it so special, to me, is how, extremely, thin it is. The problem is, Yonex USA doesn't bring it :mad: So, now, I'm trying to get them from Asia and/or Australia.

WhiteSox05CA
12-17-2006, 12:15 PM
So if I'm plannin' on using an overgrip what would you guys suggest? I don't really need the tack or durability since I'm always gonna use an overgrip.

armand
12-17-2006, 12:49 PM
-Leather may give you the feeling of a larger gripsize. This is because the leather is firmer and compresses less when squeezed.Plain+simply, I thought leather was thinner than the average synthetic. Leather sure makes the grip feel smaller to me.

WhiteSox05CA
12-17-2006, 05:53 PM
Which one offers the best feel of the ball??

Borat
12-28-2006, 12:28 PM
HOw is Wilson's Leather? Volkls? RPNY?

rasajadad
12-28-2006, 12:33 PM
HOw is Wilson's Leather? Volkls? RPNY?

The Wilson is about the same tackiness, thickness, and weight as the Volkl. I would put them on the middle of the tackiness scale with Prince Pro at the high end. Babolat on the low end.

Never tried RPNY.

Wore through the original leather on my PK's in a year- lost their tack.
Wore through Babolats quicker- fell apart.

Am currently using orig. PK (Redondo mids), Prince Pro (love the stripe), Volkl, Babolat (on the Ki5 PSE's).

kerplunker
01-22-2007, 06:45 PM
where can i get head calfskin grips?

Pisolino227
01-26-2007, 11:28 PM
I love Fairway leather grips w/ a single layer of Tourna Grip. The bevel feel is the best!!

This guy is right!

gonzalocatalino
01-31-2007, 04:17 PM
i have previously played with leather grips, but always with racquets that have them directly from the factory (Pogs, pc600, ps6.0, ncode tour, HPStour 95...), so, i never had really felt the difference...(i mean, playing the same racquet with both syn. and leather):
Today i put Prince Leather grips (with tourna overgrip) on my 2 Volkl Tour 10 gen2, and the difference is AWESOME. I am extremely happy with the change, i can feel much more the bevels, and the ball feel is extraordinary: makes my racquet MORE CRISPER (if that is the exact word to describe it).

comment apart: Those prince grips are considerably ticker than the syntetic grips, it makes the gripsize, at least, 1/2 size bigger.

MasterTS
02-01-2007, 08:23 AM
I've been tryin to get my RDS001 to be around 12.28oz with a leather grip and have been struggling. I've wrapped babolat as tight as possible and also wrapped gamma as tight as possible.

Some people here claim that gamma is the thinnest leather and that gamma is the lightest leather. Well first hand experience using a digital postal scale accurate to the .1 gram says otherwise. The gamma leather is just about as heavy as the babolat. I haven't tried the Wilson leather yet.

stormholloway
02-01-2007, 08:38 AM
People have been saying Babolat's leather is low quality but I love it. Volkl's is great, and I find Wilson's to be tacky but thin.

WhiteSox05CA
02-04-2007, 04:12 PM
Can anyone compare...
RPNY, Volkl, or Babolat?

I'm gonna get some of these. I couldn't find a good Fairway anywhere.

gonzalocatalino
02-06-2007, 08:47 AM
As i mentioned before, a few days ago i put prince leather grips on my Volkls (Tour 10 Gen. 2). Today i measured the gripsize because it feels bigger:
The Original grip was a Volkl 4 1/2, with the original sin. replacement. Now, with the Prince Leather plus a Tourna overgrip, i measured 4,85 inches\ 12,2 cm., and thats bigger than a 4 5/8!! (a 4 5/8 grip is 4,625 inches).
So, if you are thinking on those prince grips, be careful. I personally can use perfectly the bigger gripsize and, in fact, i like it more now...

sizes appart, the grip es great...

Chauvalito
02-20-2007, 06:05 PM
--------------------------

BiGGieStuFF
02-20-2007, 06:08 PM
--------------------------

and????????

jcstennis
02-20-2007, 06:34 PM
Can anyone compare...
RPNY, Volkl, or Babolat?

I'm gonna get some of these. I couldn't find a good Fairway anywhere.

You can find Fairways, but you will pay a bunch for them...

I have specs on the Bab and the RPNY... is that what you a re looking for? I have not played them yet, i am looking myself, but both of those companies emailed me the specs of each grip.

WhiteSox05CA
02-20-2007, 06:39 PM
You can find Fairways, but you will pay a bunch for them...

I have specs on the Bab and the RPNY... is that what you a re looking for? I have not played them yet, i am looking myself, but both of those companies emailed me the specs of each grip.

Yeah, I found some Fairways- for the same price as an RPNY one- for like $20. I was thinkin' about just getting a Babolat because it's light weight and cheaper. I go to NY a lot, so maybe next time I'm there, I'll stop by RPNY and pick one up.

Also, what's the RPNY synthetic-leather grip?

jcstennis
02-20-2007, 06:45 PM
Yeah, I found some Fairways- for the same price as an RPNY one- for like $20. I was thinkin' about just getting a Babolat because it's light weight and cheaper. I go to NY a lot, so maybe next time I'm there, I'll stop by RPNY and pick one up.

Also, what's the RPNY synthetic-leather grip?

Straight from Babolat: weight 25g / 0.85 oz.... length 45.3 in... width 26mm... thickness 1.7 mm (0.07in) .. with adhesive on back

From Roman: "Grips are 47” long, a hair under 1” wide. They are beveled (burnished) in such a way as to allow wrapping flat, grooved, righty or lefty. That is really why I even made them, other grips did not allow all these options. I have some without sticky tape (leather only), I have some with the sticky tape on. Weight around 25g (+ or – 1). Cost per grip is $20 plus shipping."

The Vantage brown leather is 21g.

I think the RPNY syn/leather is that it comes in colors??? Email Roman and ask, cool guy!

Chauvalito
02-20-2007, 07:02 PM
[QUOTE=BiGGieStuFF;1266231]and????????[/QUOTE

I was just bumping the thread

Chauvalito
02-20-2007, 07:05 PM
Wow, I was not aware that leather grips weighed close to over 20 grams.

Does anyone know if the same is true for Wilson leather grips?

I am contmplating adding leather grips to my m-fil 200 2006's to increase the weight, they are a bit light.

Chauvalito
02-21-2007, 08:31 AM
Wilson or Babolat? whay do you prefer.

jcstennis
02-21-2007, 06:26 PM
Wilson or Babolat? whay do you prefer.

i recently demo'd a K-factor with Wilson leather... it felt coarse, so i overwrapped it.

I remember the Fairway on my StV PS85 and it felt a lot nicer than the Wilson, i OW'd that also. :grin:

Octavian
03-04-2007, 02:55 PM
leather grips are probably the best replacement grip you can buy...gives you so much feel especially underneath a overgrip... i put it on my babo it has so much more feel

WhiteSox05CA
03-10-2007, 10:46 AM
I just bought an X-tra long Pacific tan leather grip. It seems pretty thin. Nice though.

ps60
03-12-2007, 04:16 AM
only leather i've used was the orignial on my Dunlop Maxply. gave me lot of water bubbles.

No $$$ to buy a new Leather, i use 2 over grips.

i dun like the new Wilson TL foam so much, i throw it away. Use a thin technifibre overgrip over some leadtape, heavily overlapped and cover only the lower part of the grip, and then a very very thin Kimony overgrip covering all the Grip on my Volkl.
Feels better than Leather ! i mean it. :grin:
Just not sure if i 've put enough mass to compensate the wt of the original. :confused:

rafa_prestige89
04-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Is it possible for me to buy the Head Calfskin Leather grip???

Tennis Man
04-07-2007, 07:45 PM
I love the leather and put it on all my frames that didn't have it, mostly Yonex and new Head frames.

My favorite is Fairway, followed by Wilson, Babolat and ... Gamma.

LarougeNY
04-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Yeah, I want to try leather but don't know which one to get. Money isn't an object (unless its >20$) I just want to have a good, defined, durable, and not too hard leather grip.

OnyxZ28
04-08-2007, 12:00 AM
Is it possible for me to buy the Head Calfskin Leather grip???

Yes, Roman at RPNY sells them.

rafa_prestige89
04-08-2007, 05:41 PM
Yes, Roman at RPNY sells them.

Is there an online shop for me to buy them??

iplaybetter
04-15-2007, 10:50 AM
do you have to staple the bottom

tenniskid3119
04-15-2007, 11:19 AM
im still kinda new, what do you mean stickify?

jonnyonthespot
04-15-2007, 02:07 PM
Leather grips are hooooriibble, and I have covered all three of my Wilson Ncode 6.1 tours with pro overgrips. You would think that such a high class racquet would come standard with a better grip.

tenniko
04-22-2007, 10:03 PM
How's the Prince Leather Grip on POG compare to the other Replacement Leather Grips that TW sells? (Wilson, Gamma, Babolat?)

Also does anyone know how to get Prince Leather Grips?

All-court Hero
04-24-2007, 01:35 PM
How long does it take to wear out a leather grip, if you use an overgrip? will the leather show any signs of wear?

Voltron
04-24-2007, 01:45 PM
I love the leather and put it on all my frames that didn't have it, mostly Yonex and new Head frames.

My favorite is Fairway, followed by Wilson, Babolat and ... Gamma.
I really like Babolat, mostly because it's really firm. I've never tried fairway though, do you know where I can get it? :(

LarougeNY
04-25-2007, 05:33 PM
Whats a lighter alternative to leather? Or the lightest leather that weighs just a little more than a regular replacement grip (like hydramax tour from dunlop)?

Doc Hollidae
05-03-2007, 08:04 AM
Anyone feel like leather takes a littel power off their shots? I find myself hitting shorter than normal after switching to leather. Maybe it's just the feel I'm not used to or something.

Azzurri
05-03-2007, 08:28 AM
Anyone feel like leather takes a littel power off their shots? I find myself hitting shorter than normal after switching to leather. Maybe it's just the feel I'm not used to or something.

Doc...you need to go see a Doc if you think leather has anything to do with power.:p

Doc Hollidae
05-03-2007, 08:39 AM
Doc...you need to go see a Doc if you think leather has anything to do with power.:p

I think it may just be the feeling. With a synthetic grip I guess there was more shock absorption so I felt like I was hitting through the ball more. With leather I feel the ball on the strings, it doesn't have that same "plow through" feeling. It's hard to explain the feeling though.

Midlife crisis
05-03-2007, 04:08 PM

Because a leather grip adds weight at the handle, the balance point (center of mass) moves down towards the handle. So, when you hit a ball, the pivot point is further away from the contact point, and this means the racquet head will recoil a little bit further. This slightly decreases the ball speed and decreases the effective stiffness that you will feel in the racquet.

Doc Hollidae
05-03-2007, 04:37 PM
^^ thanks
10 characters is stupid

[K]aotic
05-11-2007, 10:51 PM
I cannot play without one neither. The lower part of my leather grip feels significantly smaller than the top for some reason.
me 2!! i thot it was just me!!

yes i revived a dead thread

astra
05-12-2007, 12:12 AM
I replaced Hydro Control grip on the LM Prestiges MP with the Volkl leather beacause of reasons mentioned by NoBadMojo:
a) better feel
b) bigger grip size
c) more headlight racquet

The result is:
a) I prefer playing with leather, it provides better feel to me.
b) It really makes the grip bigger, the grip size depends on the grip overlap. Also the leather has less compression than the synthetic. It is possible to re-wrapp carefully several times.
c) The racquet is noticeably heavier and became more headlight. The weight difference between the leather and the synthetic is cca 10g/4ou depending on brand.

I can recommend the Volkl leather, is seems to me the second best after Fairway.

lecter255
05-19-2007, 07:29 PM
I really like Babolat, mostly because it's really firm. I've never tried fairway though, do you know where I can get it? :(

Babolat Leather grip is my favorite too! I definitely prefer it over the wilson one... the wilson one just feels weird...

Bengt
06-01-2007, 11:55 AM
How's the Prince Leather Grip on POG compare to the other Replacement Leather Grips that TW sells? (Wilson, Gamma, Babolat?)

Also does anyone know how to get Prince Leather Grips?

I don't use an overgrip. I've tried the Wilson, Bab, and Gamma and the original Prince calfskin grip is much better. That's probably why it costs twice as much as the others. Google the following two words in quotes: "Tennis" and Dennis the "_ _ _ _ _ _". If there's another then I'd like to know.

topspin-master
06-25-2007, 08:06 AM
the best is babolat natural grip

AmericanTemplar
07-27-2007, 08:19 AM
I use an overgrip so I'm not concerned with whether or not my grip is tacky. It seems to be that the stock grips on the Yonex RDS 001 are already quite thin. Would a leather grip really give much better feel than a thin synthetic?

keithchircop
08-13-2007, 09:58 AM
Fairway Leather - 25g
Wilson Leather - 22g
Head Leather - 23g
Pacific leather -18g
Volkl Leather -30.4g

everybody says the volkl is the thickest and heaviest of leather grips. will it make you lose the bevels somewhat?

Pleepers
08-13-2007, 10:31 AM
Babolat leather w/Babolat original overgrip is my fav :D The French know their grip!

thefan
08-13-2007, 07:57 PM
Whats the weight of the babolat leather grip?
Also how long does a leather grip last, assuming that you use an overgrip over it everytime...

Jonny S&V
08-13-2007, 08:00 PM
Whats the weight of the babolat leather grip?
Also how long does a leather grip last, assuming that you use an overgrip over it everytime...

About 26g, close to the Fairway leather.

keithchircop
08-13-2007, 11:20 PM
if the volkl weighs 1.7 times more than the pacific, how can the bevels be as pronounced?

AmericanTemplar
08-17-2007, 10:01 AM
I use an overgrip so I'm not concerned with whether or not my grip is tacky. It seems to be that the stock grips on the Yonex RDS 001 are already quite thin. Would a leather grip really give much better feel than a thin synthetic?

^^
Can anybody answer this question?

ProStaff Legend
08-17-2007, 10:12 AM
i would say yes because the leather wont dampen any (or as much) vibrations as synthetic grips do

keithchircop
08-19-2007, 10:22 AM
some people here are singing praise for the volkl leather grip. if it weighs 1.7 times more than the pacific, how can the bevels be as pronounced?

Azrael
08-19-2007, 11:45 AM
Your question is the same as asking "If leather grips weigh more than synthetic grips, then how are the bevels more pronounced?"
The answer is simply the material. Leather is harder and doesn't compress around the bevels like rubber synth grips do. Since both Pacific leather and Volkl leather are both leather grips, neither compress around the edges of the handle underneath and, in a manner of speaking, create their own bevels.

keithchircop
08-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Your question is the same as asking "If leather grips weigh more than synthetic grips, then how are the bevels more pronounced?"
The answer is simply the material. Leather is harder and doesn't compress around the bevels like rubber synth grips do. Since both Pacific leather and Volkl leather are both leather grips, neither compress around the edges of the handle underneath and, in a manner of speaking, create their own bevels.

Have you used both?

6LOVE
08-25-2007, 09:38 AM
Has anyone tried the TW Private Label leather grips?

dunloplayah
08-25-2007, 10:08 AM
wow, glad you posted about the TW private label ones. I think i'll try one of the thinner smaller ones on one of my sticks next order I make with them. I like that it isn't branded too. Since switching to the mfil300s, i've missed feeling my bevels the most, so hope that a thin leather will bring it back.

Don't know if i've already posted this hear but my favorite leather grip is the ones on my Dunlop Mcenroe Maxplys. They don't sell them tho. they are really really thin, soft yet tacky. Such a great grip!

Azrael
08-28-2007, 07:51 PM
Have you used both?

Regrettably (and embarrassingly), I haven’t used the Volkl, but I have used the Pacific and other “thin” leather grips (Babolat and Gamma) as well as a “thicker” grip (Wilson). Although the Wilson isn’t nearly as thick as the Volkl, I found that despite its thickness, I was able to feel the bevels to the same degree as with the “thinner” grips.

If you think about it, a rubber synthetic grip weighs somewhere around 15-20 grams--which isn’t that far off from leather (btw, even though Babolat leather weighs about 25 grams straight from the package, I found that it weighed about 20 grams when trimmed to fit). Also considering the center of the weight of the grip would be about 10 cm from the bottom of the handle, the balance point will hardly change at all with only a 5-10 gram increase in weight.

keithchircop, you seem to be preoccupied with the weight of the grip rather than the feel (softness, tackiness, etc). Instead, wouldn’t it be more reasonable to use a more “sure-fire” (sure to not lose the feel of the bevels) leather grip, then apply lead to adjust balance?

You can shrug off my response if you’d like, but leather is leather and will reproduce the bevels effectively.

samprasbackhand
08-30-2007, 09:31 AM
So I usually play with a 4-3/8 synthetic with an overgrip on top, and I'm planning on getting a ProStaff 85, which comes with a stock leather grip, which everyone says is supposed to be thicker. Should I get a smaller grip size instead?

the Town Sherif
09-14-2007, 06:20 AM
yes.......................................

hoodjem
09-28-2007, 09:17 AM
Has anyone tried taking off the stock grip and replacing with just a single layer of overgrip, like Wilson Pro?

Is this just too much?

Jonny S&V
09-30-2007, 08:33 AM
Has anyone tried taking off the stock grip and replacing with just a single layer of overgrip, like Wilson Pro?

Is this just too much?

If you can handle it without getting blisters all the time, it gives you more feel, but it is very uncomfortable IMO.

Leelord337
11-05-2007, 11:56 PM

Is this just too much?

i heard john mcenroe say that nadal uses nothing but white overgrip on his 4 1/8 grip racket. he layers about 2-4 overgrips and doesn't use a replacement grip

Klatu Verata Necktie
11-21-2007, 06:08 PM
i heard john mcenroe say that nadal uses nothing but white overgrip on his 4 1/8 grip racket. he layers about 2-4 overgrips and doesn't use a replacement grip

I hear Guga used to do the same thing.

miniRafa386
12-16-2007, 06:04 PM
so which leather grip has the lightest weight?

RM05
01-04-2008, 11:57 AM
I found TW's leather to be pretty nice. Don't like the Wilson, Babolat and gama too much. My all time favorite leather would have to be Pacific's leather. Soft, thin, and the most tacky out of all the leathers i've tried above. Haven't tried the fairway grip yet. You'd have to take good care of it though because it will pick up dirt and grime. Wish TW kept on selling these. Some said they didn't fit on some racquets but a little stretching fixed that for me.

hoodjem
01-12-2008, 07:27 AM
I recently got two TW leather grips (the thinner one and the thicker one), and a Wilson leather grip. I put them all on (I have four of the same racquet), and within a half-hour I was getting three blisters on my racquet hand: one on the first digit of my ring finger, one on my base of my thumb, and one on the heel of my hand.

I find this amazing considering that this season I have been playing using the stock grips (Wilson Micro-Dry Touch) for months, hours at a time with no blisters.

Also, three fingers of my racquet hand felt a little numb, though this went away after several more more days of playing.

Is leather worth it?

Tony Mac
02-02-2008, 07:22 PM
I notice I start developing blisters on my hand when I'm having an off day and mis hit the ball a bit. That racquet moving in my hand caused the blisters.

My hands are perfect right now, most players are surprised how I don't have any blisters or roughness in my hands.

I say, try the leather grip, and if you have problems using it, take it off.

TsongaBonga
02-03-2008, 01:56 AM

What's a bevel?!

bagung
02-03-2008, 02:13 AM

Is this just too much?

one of my mid is using the wonder wedge, without the stock grip. two layers of overgrip on top of it....

AndrewD
02-03-2008, 09:27 PM
After a period of time all leather grips will start to lose their tac and become a bit slippery. That is to be expected as leather is, after all, porous and, once the pores are clogged with dirt (a byproduct of sweat), your hand will start to slip.

There are a few different ways you can clean a leather grip.

Cleaning:

1) Soap and water. In almost all cases that will clean away any residual tackiness that the grip has been treated with. However, it will help to unclog the pores

2) Scrape the grip with glass paper, a nail file or anything else that is abrasive and can break up the clogged top layer. That doesn't actually clean the grip but roughing up the surface will stop your hand from slipping. Essentially it's the same as scoring the leather sole of a shoe.

Making a Leather Grip less slippery:

1) Chalk. Rub chalk over the surface of your leather grip. The chalk will absorb sweat and stop the grip from slipping in your hand. You can also use talcum powder or saw dust but a piece of chalk is the easiest and most effective method.

2) Turn the grip over and use the untreated back of the leather grip which, in a lot of cases will be like suede.

rodtennis3
02-04-2008, 02:32 PM
i use the syntec white grip from babolat , love the feel but gets dirty quick

roger is the king
03-31-2008, 01:28 PM
i just don't really know it hurts my hand blisters

hoodjem
04-15-2008, 10:40 AM
What's a bevel?!

Bevels are the sharp angle changes between the facets of your racquet handle.

If you look at the bottom end of your racquet handle, you will see an octagon. There are thus eight facets and eight bevels.

andreas75
05-20-2008, 07:09 PM
remember stefan edberg;when all pros used to put avergrips he was still using the leather plain without anything over.

davey
05-20-2008, 07:56 PM
After a period of time all leather grips will start to lose their tac and become a bit slippery. That is to be expected as leather is, after all, porous and, once the pores are clogged with dirt (a byproduct of sweat), your hand will start to slip.

There are a few different ways you can clean a leather grip.

Cleaning:

1) Soap and water. In almost all cases that will clean away any residual tackiness that the grip has been treated with. However, it will help to unclog the pores

2) Scrape the grip with glass paper, a nail file or anything else that is abrasive and can break up the clogged top layer. That doesn't actually clean the grip but roughing up the surface will stop your hand from slipping. Essentially it's the same as scoring the leather sole of a shoe.

Making a Leather Grip less slippery:

1) Chalk. Rub chalk over the surface of your leather grip. The chalk will absorb sweat and stop the grip from slipping in your hand. You can also use talcum powder or saw dust but a piece of chalk is the easiest and most effective method.

2) Turn the grip over and use the untreated back of the leather grip which, in a lot of cases will be like suede.

All of the above is bad for your leather grip!!! Would you do any of that to anything else made of leather? A leather wallet? Leather shoes? A leather jacket? No way.

You can easily restore the tackiness of a leather grip by treating it with stuff made for leather. Lexol makes good stuff. If your leather grip is completely worn out then use the leather conditioner. Just put a few dops on the grip and then rotate it in your hand rubbing it in. It will be slippery at first but after 2-3 minutes of rubbing it will soak in and will start to become tacky. Once it becomes tacky give it a few hours to dry before play testing. Repeat until it feels good after play testing.

For a relatively new leather grip that has just begun to lose its tackiness I would treat it just once with leather conditioner or treat it the same way with neatsfoot. Neatsfoot is good for a little touch up whenever a leather grip begins to lose its tackiness but too much will make it slippery. Don't worry, if you use too much it will wear off.

As far as the leather cleaner goes, I would only use it once and only on a very worn leather grip. Let it dry complete before treating with conditioner. If you maintain your grips with conditioner and neatsfoot then you should never need to use the cleaner. The cleaner may remove some of any dye that might be in the leather.

Since you only need a few drops of either conditioner or neatsfoot each time the small bottle should last several years.

Even if you get your grips just right they can still get slippery if your hand sweats a lot. On hot days I keep the grip and my hand dry with a towel or my shirt and don't hold my racket by the grip between points.

davey
05-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Oh, and by the way, for the people with blister problems the conditioner will soften the leather nicely. It will still feel firm but more comfortable at the same time.

matchace
06-04-2008, 06:13 AM
Talking about leather grips is like talking driving a Model T Ford. Get on with it. Leather grips died in 1970's because they slip, shrink when you sweat on them, and develop uneven wear depending where you grip the handle.

m1stuhxsp4rk5
08-03-2008, 02:10 PM
which is thinner the gamma grip or the tw grip? is there a leather grip thinner then these?