PDA

View Full Version : Is the Redondo a modern day 200G MW?

basil J
10-01-2006, 09:29 AM
I went back on the court the other night and did a side by side between the 200G MW and my redondo 98". I used the 200G MW for 5years until my bags got stolen a little over a year & 1/2 ago. Since then I have gone through numerous frames:
Slaxz x-1
Ncode 6.1 16 x18 * 18 x 20
HPS 6.1
200GHM
03 TOUR MP.
Liked all of them for various reasons but they did not replace the distinct ball feel I got from the 200GMW. That racquet just felt like an extension of my arm. It was a demanding frame however and when I was off, I was off but it was a racquet that I felt made me a better player because it demanded focus when you used it. I have not used on in over a year.
Comparisons:
Groundstrokes: Both excellent. The 200GMW has more flex in the hoop, the Redondo, more flex in the throat. The redondo was more forgiving when you mishit or missed the sweetspot. When I hit the ball in the middle of the frame, they felt nearly identical. Spin was easier to generate with the PK off of both sides. My slice was better with the 200GMW.
Serves: More pace and spin with the Redondo. A little better accuracy with the 200G.
Volleys: nearly identical, with the Redondo being a little more agile at the net, due to more headlight balance.
Returns: Better with the Redondo. I was able to be more aggressive.
Funny, I thought the 200GMWwas irreplaceable. I would never use it now. The Redondo IMO perfoms better in every category.

Keifers
10-01-2006, 09:38 AM
Hmm, very interesting comparison. Makes total sense -- I just hadn't thought of it.

Will take mine out and compare.

anirut
10-01-2006, 06:42 PM
I don't have the 200G MW to compare.

But I was able to match play characteristics of my Redondo to my Dunlop Revelation Tour 90, which is my reference stick, with the Redondo being a more nimble stick.

thejuice
10-01-2006, 08:29 PM
Basil, you know I definitely agree with you about the comparisons (I think I had made the same comparison some months back when you were thinking about the Redondo). From the looks of your list, we have both tried and owned most of the same racquets. You were the reason I even tried the O3 Tour when I was new to these boards. We really seem to have similar taste (although I've been cheating on my Redondo's...I bought a Prince Hybrid Tour today).

basil J
10-02-2006, 06:37 AM
Keifers & Juice, I always seem to use the 200GMW as a point of reference when it comes to looking for racquet characteristics. I have also agreed and respected your views on various frames discussed over the last couple of years. It seems like we look for the same characteristics.Have you guys tried the redondo 93"? I am curious to see if it plays differently than the 98" ( which is really a 95"). Also if you don't use the 200GMW as a reference frame, what do you use? I'd be curious to see what you guys use a point of refernce when trying out frames??

thejuice
10-02-2006, 07:54 AM
Keifers & Juice, I always seem to use the 200GMW as a point of reference when it comes to looking for racquet characteristics. I have also agreed and respected your views on various frames discussed over the last couple of years. It seems like we look for the same characteristics.Have you guys tried the redondo 93"? I am curious to see if it plays differently than the 98" ( which is really a 95"). Also if you don't use the 200GMW as a reference frame, what do you use? I'd be curious to see what you guys use a point of refernce when trying out frames??

I also use the 200G MW as a point of reference. Since I bought a Hybrid Tour I will be comparing it to the Redondo. Maybe the Redondo will become my new point of reference.

Keifers
10-02-2006, 08:44 AM
basil,
I've not played with my 200G MW for a while. Been distracted with all sorts of other sticks, including the 6.0 85 (3 different ones), RQ 7 Tour and, most recently, M Speed 105.

With the question you've posted in this thread, though, I'm gonna get my MW restrung this week and take it out for a spin.

I can't really say I have a reference stick right now -- probly messing around with too many racquets at the same time. :rolleyes: :)

vkartikv
10-02-2006, 09:57 AM

I use the redondo mid ocassionally and though it is worlds apart from my main racquet, the ps 85, it still is second best. I have not tried the redondo 98 and just from the specs, it seems like very little separates them. You really cannot tell the difference b/w a 93 and 98 sq.in. frame even if you overlay one on the other so I don't think the 93 should be harder than the 98.. the redondo is pretty much the same shape as a pc600 but feels a lot better and softer. Kick serves are great even though its a dense pattern racquet. I haven't used the mw 200G but I have a rev 200G sitting at home. I think you sold your last ones recently, did you not like it?

BigServer1
10-02-2006, 10:02 AM
I am curious to see if it plays differently than the 98" ( which is really a 95")

Does this mean that the 93 is really a 90"? As with Head racquets?

anirut
10-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Does this mean that the 93 is really a 90"? As with Head racquets?

Yes ...

basil J
10-02-2006, 01:52 PM
I sold my revelation because I never used it. I like to have racquets in pairs because I tend to break strings. I couldn't find another revelation with a 4 1/2" grip, so I sold it to someone who will hopefully enjoy it. I felt the the 200G MW played a little softer than the revelation and it had better feel. Both great frames..I have never tried a PS 6.0 85" ....

RKS12
10-02-2006, 04:08 PM
Played my first match with the Redondo MP today, lost a close 3 setter only because of racket unfamiliarity on maybe 10-15 points. Loved the way it played and those unforced errors will go away in another 2-3 sets. The Redondo reminded me of an improved Fischer Pro #1 which i loved and took my game from around 4.0 to around 5.0 in 2002-2004. I think its the flex in the throat that's similar to the Fischer and allows great control with good pop. But the Redondo has a bigger, more consistent sweet spot, serves better than the PN1, and hits a heavier ball, hence my opinion that its better. By the way, the spin potential of the Redondo allows for some great angles but it also creates some kick that gives you some free points when a heavy ball just sprays off the opponents racket.

mileslong
10-04-2006, 09:38 PM
i agree with the posters on this thread. i have also been a longtime user of the MW200G and played with the redondo 98" for the first time tuesday in doubles and played the best i have played since i can remember. playing singles tomorrow night and if it plays the same im sold. im having a garage sale and buying three.

BreakPoint
10-04-2006, 10:30 PM
i agree with the posters on this thread. i have also been alongtime user of the MW200G and played with the redondo 98" for the first time tuesday in doubles and played the best i have played since i can remember. playing singles tomorrow night and if it plays the same im sold. im having a garage sale and buying three.

Hey mileslong,

I thought you were loving the Fischer M-Speed. What happened?

Radical
10-04-2006, 10:36 PM
Which grip shape of Redondo belongs to? Rectangular (like Head) or Square (like Wilson)? Thanks for reply.

thejuice
10-05-2006, 05:36 AM
Which grip shape of Redondo belongs to? Rectangular (like Head) or Square (like Wilson)? Thanks for reply.

Closer to Wilson than anything.

jackson vile
10-05-2006, 06:50 AM
I am guessing you mean the 95 and not the 90

The shape is not the same, the specs are not the same, not even close.

I have wanted to try the mid size Redondo, sounds like a classic feeling racket.

From what I have heard the 200gHM is most like the 200gMW95, there specs are almost the same just not the composition.

Keifers
10-05-2006, 07:06 AM
Square --------------------- Rectangular

Fischer > Prince > Wilson > PK > Head

mileslong
10-05-2006, 08:05 AM
I thought you were loving the Fischer M-Speed. What happened?
well my brand new string job broke after one match. i was using a pacific gut hybrid that i had ordered from online. i then restrung with my usual gut hybrid and the racket felt like crap with it. then i restrung it with another setup i often use and it felt like crap playing it that way as well. i decided that any racket that is this string sensitive and breaks strings this easily is too much trouble to mess with.

i just went back to my old faithful's until hitting with this redondo, wow...

BreakPoint
10-05-2006, 11:47 AM
well my brand new string job broke after one match. i was using a pacific gut hybrid that i had ordered from online. i then restrung with my usual gut hybrid and the racket felt like crap with it. then i restrung it with another setup i often use and it felt like crap playing it that way as well. i decided that any racket that is this string sensitive and breaks strings this easily is too much trouble to mess with.

i just went back to my old faithful's until hitting with this redondo, wow...

Thanks for the feedback.

Please let us know if you're still loving the Redondo after your singles match tonight. Thanks.

splitstep
10-05-2006, 08:38 PM
...the distinct ball feel I got from the 200GMW. That racquet just felt like an extension of my arm. It was a demanding frame however and when I was off, I was off but it was a racquet that I felt made me a better player because it demanded focus when you used it.

I stopped playing with my MW200G back in July when I switched to the Redondo 98. Like BasilJ, I played with the MW200G for six years and I have loving memories of reflex volleys when it seemed like I barely had time to register the ball.

After a summer of hitting with the Redondo, however, I played a set with the muscle weave and I don't think I could ever switch back, either. Maybe I've been spoiled by the forgiving sweet spot, or maybe its the generous spin production. In many ways, the Redondo is a better racket, though I do miss the twack of the flat serve and the ridiculous accuracy with the MW200G.

Hmm, maybe I should demo the Redondo 93 ....

mileslong
10-05-2006, 10:44 PM
well the results are in on my redondo 98" in singles and its a winner.

i beat a 4.5 guy tonight 6-0 and 7-6. some of the strongest tennis i have played in a long time. the first set i basically did nothing wrong, i have so much confidence playing with this racket that it allows me swing freely and play my game. after getting smoked by me banging from the baseline he started pushing in the second set. it started to get to me but i just stayed with the program and put the match away finally.

i served much better tonight than i did the other night in doubles, i had one double fault all night. he kept commenting on my huge forehand and spin that all my shots had. he was a sub tonight and called me a ringer in my league :) if he only knew how fragile my mental game is.

i have already sold one racket today, my dnx10 mid. im selling at least 3 more rackets to make room in my bag for the new redondos im going to buy. this racket just fits my game. as mentioned above, its like a MW200G but more forgiving with more pop and equal control. the thwack this racket makes when you pound a serve is so cool.

my shoulder feels no pain after each of these two matches which is an added bonus. every racket i own does most things well but each has at least one weakness for my game, this racket has no weaknesses. it does everything well or at least for me it does. it feels like an extension of my arm, this flexy feeling isnt for everyone but its perfect for me. if you have been a fan of dunlops, volkls and the old prestiges then you will probably love this racket. if you like the stiffer feeling of the wilsons and babolats then you probably wont like it as much.

im sold, im now on the redondo team for a long time i think. i plan on getting two 98's and one mid for grins...thanks to anirut, basil j, breakpoint and others who were former dunlop fans and brought this great racket to my attention.

BreakPoint
10-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the update, mileslong! I'm getting pretty close to pulling the trigger myself on the Redondo. :D

basil J
10-06-2006, 04:27 AM
I just went with full VS gut string job at 63#. One word: SWEET! It plays even softer now with better feel. The gut really shines at net. My volleys are much more crisp. My other frame has pro hurricane and gosen crosses and that played very well also, but the gut is softer with better feel. Spin production was better with poly, serving was better with gut.. I just turned another 200GMW user onto this frame. Same reaction as me..WOW!!One interesting note. With the lead tape and leather grip, my main frame is at 12.8 oz, my other weighted frame with a wilson micro absorb grip is only 12.3 oz. I didn't realize that a leather grip would add 1/2 oz. They both swing like a sub 12 oz frame so the weight is not even an issue.

anirut
10-06-2006, 07:37 AM
Miles,

Thanks for the account of your adventure with the Red 98. I think may be I should try the MP too ... ummm ...

I think it's easy for PK to come up, and making good sales, with an old style racket like the Redondo because PK didn't take the path of going "high tech" like other brands. Instead PK stood with "tech that works" concept, like the good-for-the-arm Kinetic series. This makes it easier for them to just make a U-turn in material technology, going back to 100% graphite, just because it's a "tech that works".

Just my brand/marketing analysis ... because that's how I make my living ...