PDA

View Full Version : Anybody owned/played with a Volkl C9 Pro?

Keifers
10-01-2006, 10:00 AM
I'd really appreciate your help with string recommendations (see thread in Strings forum).

Thanks!

max
10-01-2006, 01:45 PM
I still play with mine. I really like Prince Synthetic Gut Soft, now called Eketelon Power Play, at 57 lbs. tension.

Keifers
10-01-2006, 01:50 PM
I still play with mine. I really like Prince Synthetic Gut Soft, now called Eketelon Power Play, at 57 lbs. tension.
Ahh, many thanks, max.

I was beginning to think that no-one knows about this racquet any more.

Curious, have you modded your stick in any way?

SteveI
10-01-2006, 01:50 PM
I'd really appreciate your help with string recommendations (see thread in Strings forum).

Thanks!

I am guessing many folks still do.. Ever try to obtain one? I owned 3.. and sold all of them in record time. The best string that I ever used in mine was Gosen OG Micro 17... I know a $2.00 string but..great results with it.

Regards,
Steve

Keifers
10-01-2006, 02:00 PM
I am guessing many folks still do.. Ever try to obtain one? I owned 3.. and sold all of them in record time. The best string that I ever used in mine was Gosen OG Micro 17... I know a $2.00 string but..great results with it.

Regards,
Steve
Thanks, Steve. Didn't realize they're so popular.

I like Gosen OG Micro, too. Do you remember the tension(s) you used to like?

skraggle
10-01-2006, 02:04 PM
I have two, one strung with Gosen in fact. It's a terrific frame, great weight/stability ratio with also a strong combination of power/control. Plus, with that Halloween paint job, there's nothing that looks like it, either.

Plays really well with the Gosen, best combo I've tried...

Michael Musok
10-02-2006, 10:10 AM
I bought 2 used ones remembering how good they were to my elbow. My middle son tried one out and promptly claimed both for himself. Fortunately someone was selling 2 brand new (never strung w/plastic still on the handle) in my grip size so I snagged them both.
Mine are strung at 62 lb., one with Gosen JC 17 and one with Bluestar Laser. Both strings play well in this racquet. Normally 62 lb. plays a little stiff for me but not in this racquet due to it's low flex.
I have been playing with DNX 9 and although I like it, it's just a little stiff for me. I love the flex of the C10 Pro and the C9 pro will give you a similar flex but at the same weight as the DNX 9. There are trade offs however and the C9 will not give you the same pop or stability as the DNX 9.

Keifers
10-02-2006, 10:34 AM
Thanks, all, for your responses.

I bought 2 used ones remembering how good they were to my elbow. My middle son tried one out and promptly claimed both for himself. Fortunately someone was selling 2 brand new (never strung w/plastic still on the handle) in my grip size so I snagged them both.
Mine are strung at 62 lb., one with Gosen JC 17 and one with Bluestar Laser. Both strings play well in this racquet. Normally 62 lb. plays a little stiff for me but not in this racquet due to it's low flex.
I have been playing with DNX 9 and although I like it, it's just a little stiff for me. I love the flex of the C10 Pro and the C9 pro will give you a similar flex but at the same weight as the DNX 9. There are trade offs however and the C9 will not give you the same pop or stability as the DNX 9.
I ended up adding some 1/4" lead tape at 3:00 and 9:00 and inside the throat. With an overgrip, the unstrung frame weighs 332 grams.

Very nice pop and stability -- with that lovely C9 flex.

Django
10-02-2006, 10:40 AM
Above posters are very accurate in their assessments. The C-9 was a very comfortable racquet -- perhaps even a bit too flexy for its weight; or too light for its flexibitiy, if you prefer. For many, that meant moving to the C-10.

Michael Musok is spot-on in pointing out the tradeoffs. I enjoy the DNX 9 immensely, but it does not have the same comfort as the C9.

NoBadMojo
10-02-2006, 12:10 PM
The entire 'C' series was really nice I think. You could string any of these frames from 45-65 with a wide variety of strings, and they would be very playable. For most, this would not be a viable frame for how the game is played these days ..Very nice racquet in its day. I used the c8Pro for a few years which was even lighter and more low powered with the dense stringbed, but what ball feel, and you could quickly catch up w. the ball and hold your shot for a very long time.

SteveI
10-02-2006, 03:43 PM
Thanks, Steve. Didn't realize they're so popular.

I like Gosen OG Micro, too. Do you remember the tension(s) you used to like?

Hi,

I few #s over midrange. Hope this helps.

Steve