PDA

View Full Version : Bumper guard on PS 85 & frame damage

Tennis Man
10-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Today I decided to cut the old string and remove the bumper guard to inspect the racquet. It looked like the racquet was strung too tight as on one side the string cut through the edge of the bumper guard and it was sticking out a bit (that drove me nuts). Now I looked at the hole and saw a small crack in there.

Could it be from the string or someone was pushing the bumper guard in with a sharp tool and caused the damage? The bumper is a bit worn out and is kinda hard to put on.

Also, should I get a new grommet system or can I still use the old one (I just cut off the edge of the bumper that was cut through by a string)?

http://i9.tinypic.com/4fx9cpl.jpg

Keifers
10-01-2006, 01:44 PM
If the replacement grommets TW sells will fit your 85, why not put new ones in?

VGP
10-01-2006, 02:57 PM
What model PS 85 do you have?

The new Chinese plastic parts don't fit the older frames.....

Tennis Man
10-01-2006, 05:02 PM

Good point. Mine is an older China version.

Deuce
10-01-2006, 11:08 PM
Is that the frame in the photo, or the bumper?

Either way, it seems rather clear that the string ate through the bumper/grommet strip. If the frame is damaged underneath that, it's likely not a crack - but it's just as bad as a crack.

Most people don't realize the damage that strings can do to a frame if the grommet strip doesn't do its job properly. I have seen strings eat through the wall of the frame and ruin the racquet.

Your only hope to save the frame is to reinforce that area of the frame with something that will disperse the tension of the string over as wide an area as possible.

Tennis Man
10-02-2006, 03:03 AM

Do you know for sure?

Is that the frame in the photo, or the bumper?

Either way, it seems rather clear that the string ate through the bumper/grommet strip. If the frame is damaged underneath that, it's likely not a crack - but it's just as bad as a crack.

Most people don't realize the damage that strings can do to a frame if the grommet strip doesn't do its job properly. I have seen strings eat through the wall of the frame and ruin the racquet.

Your only hope to save the frame is to reinforce that area of the frame with something that will disperse the tension of the string over as wide an area as possible.

It's the actual frame. Luckily it's not deep enough and I still don't want caused it. The bumper actually covered it well when I removed it. It must have been something in the past.

In any case, I decided to keep the old bumper and just put a new string on it for now. It felt good before. So, why bother?