PDA

View Full Version : I think the paint chipping on the RDS 001 is fixed?

Nextman916
10-01-2006, 02:16 PM
I remember their was a thread on this a while back about the paint on the RDS chipping off. Alot of people agreed that this was happening, i experienced it with a demo my local store had. It was rather beat up, and looked pretty old, i took it out for a little over a week, and alot of times when framing the ball paint would chip off it. I didnt even realize for a couple days until it got really bad...the paint looked flimsy and i saw only a thin layer. But after buying my RDS a month ago i havent seen a chip since, not even a sign of wear on the PJ and ive framed way more balls then the demo. I think maybe yonex was receiving lots of complaints and fixed the problem? Also even though my racquet hasnt chipped the paint feels like it is a thicker layer. Oh and i had to wait on the RDS in my grip size to ship, so when it arrived at the shop it was fresh from the package.

tennis_nerd22
10-01-2006, 02:22 PM
i dont think its fixed... but it does definitely peel easier. maybe in your experience you were just more careful with the one you bought? mishits dont neccesarily chip paint, but scraping on the ground obviously does.

however at the top of mine beside the grommet strip there's a big part of chipped pain and you can see the double-braided graphite or whatever it is. and it looks pretty cool. i'd love to scrape off the black paint on the corners of the frame (where the soft grommets are) and paint them silver or leave them unpainted. but it would probably affect the playing characteristics too much, plus i dont have the guts to do the job :D

jcstennis
10-01-2006, 02:39 PM
Nex... funny you mention that, i demo'd the RDX 500 and the RDS 001 and noticed some chips on the RDS demo, but the RDX was practically unblemished. I didn't notice any paint chipping during play. If you are talking about the 001, any blemish would really stand out on the yellow paint job! the 001 demands your attention... the bright color and all, so i see your point with noticing the paint chips! i am in the market to buy the RDX 500... i will definitely keep an eye on the paint job :)

Duzza
10-01-2006, 02:42 PM
LOL you know what I did to an RDX 500...I put it in the bag at a stringing shop I worked at while the stencil ink was still drying, 10 mins later I noticed the whole frame was red! Had to use methylated spirits :D