PDA

View Full Version : new racket!

zapvor
10-01-2006, 03:46 PM
so it's finally about time.

i am in desperate need of a new racket, and i have been searching for some time now, but as i am a noob i am not sure what to get. so i am looking for suggestions/ recommendations from you pros ;)

a little about my game to help guide you:

played for less than a year
no real serve or volley yet haha
5'8" underweight
prefers baseline; 1fh 2bh
favorite shot is backhand sidespin slice(may be dropshot) and topspin lob :mrgreen:

i have demoed a cuple rackets and the one i like the best is a babalot something. i think its the (fake) nadal one; i know its not roddick's. ideally i would like a small frame but when i tried the n six-one 95 i was mishiting like every shot. another racket i like is my coach's LM i prestige 98.

thanks for reading this long post and replying!

Noveson
10-01-2006, 04:00 PM
Firstly why do you think you were playing with a fake racquet? Did you get it off **** or something?

A racquet that is really good for beginners is the OS or MP version of the liquidmetal radical. I don't care what people say about power, at this level you just need a stick that will promote proper learning and is also a good weight.

Duzza
10-01-2006, 04:01 PM
Firstly why do you think you were playing with a fake racquet? Did you get it off **** or something?

He means like the lighter versions of the Pros racquets, like the Contest ti and some other one, all those thingys that TW doesn't sell. Just don't spend too much. Less than a year I'd atleast try and find a racquet on sale. Maybe the LM Rad.

Nar57981
10-01-2006, 04:08 PM
Presige would probably be too heavy...
I would second the LM Radical if Zap. Thats what i'm just now switching from, and what i used as a newbie. I would also try the Prince Shark (hybrid or not), the LM or Flex Fire, or the TFeel 305. All are really good tweener racquets

bad_call
10-01-2006, 04:13 PM
i wouldn't recommend a LM Rad for a beginner. i'm coaching a couple of young adult players that tried the LM Rad but didn't fare well with that one. they are now both using the LM 4 and doing much better with that stick. the LM Rad is too much of a players racquet for beginners IMO.

Duzza
10-01-2006, 04:15 PM
i wouldn't recommend a LM Rad for a beginner. i'm coaching a couple of young adult players that tried the LM Rad but didn't fare well with that one. they are now both using the LM 4 and doing much better with that stick. the LM Rad is too much of a players racquet for beginners IMO.
Yeah but the LM Rad is on sale now and it's a racquet you can use until you get up to about 4.5 level even.

Noveson
10-01-2006, 04:16 PM
One of my teammates started this year with a LM Rad, and his brother with a LM 4 lol. I don't think either of them can even tell the difference between the two. The only thing that really affects them is the weight. If it's not too heavy then it will work. Same for being too light, but to a lesser effect.

zapvor
10-01-2006, 04:19 PM
i am sorry i didnt clarify:
although i am a noob i am in a club and 99% of the people i play with are 3.5+(most are around 4.5). now i know the ratings dont mean THAT much but the fact is everyone i play is super good(have spin, pace,depth,monster serves), so i am improving like crazy insane. also i am addicted to the game and very much want to improve, so i like to get a racket that will be more toward's player's racket.
that said, thank you so much for giving me ideas. when i get money i will try to demo all of your suggestions(assuming there isnt too many):)

and to Noveson: Firstly why do you think you were playing with a fake racquet? Did you get it off **** or something?
i said fake because i know the pro's rackets are really just paintjobs, so it's not really Nadal's racket :P

Duzza
10-01-2006, 04:21 PM
I still think for the price, LM rad will be a good learning tool and proper racquet when you get as good as your 3.5-4.5 friends.

bad_call
10-01-2006, 04:26 PM
Yeah but the LM Rad is on sale now and it's a racquet you can use until you get up to about 4.5 level even.

can't argue with a $ale especially if zapvor is not at the beginner level.

zapvor
10-01-2006, 04:27 PM
I still think for the price, LM rad will be a good learning tool and proper racquet when you get as good as your 3.5-4.5 friends.

thanks Duzza i will demo it:)

Kaptain Karl
10-01-2006, 04:28 PM
Go halfway down this link (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/liquidation.html) and consider buying a used Demo or a liquidation frame. Even at your phase of rapid improvement, you'll probably be getting something different in another year. Don't spend more than about 80 dollars at this time....

- KK

BigServer1
10-01-2006, 09:24 PM
One of my teammates started this year with a LM Rad, and his brother with a LM 4 lol. I don't think either of them can even tell the difference between the two. The only thing that really affects them is the weight. If it's not too heavy then it will work. Same for being too light, but to a lesser effect.

Where in Oregon are you?

nViATi
10-02-2006, 12:49 AM
Go halfway down this link (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/liquidation.html) and consider buying a used Demo or a liquidation frame. Even at your phase of rapid improvement, you'll probably be getting something different in another year. Don't spend more than about 80 dollars at this time....

- KK
I'm with Kaptain Karl on this one. When you improve it's more likely than not that you'll find a better frame for you.

dewey2110
10-02-2006, 01:18 AM
Double that . LM rad is good, when I first learned tennis, I played w/ a LM too, when they first came out. Head makes high quality products. The LMs are low on power, good control, VERY comfortable, and they're sooo cheap now. I think it would be good for beginners. racquets with low power will teach them to follow through shots.

The Pusher Terminator
10-02-2006, 09:07 AM
so it's finally about time.

i am in desperate need of a new racket, and i have been searching for some time now, but as i am a noob i am not sure what to get. so i am looking for suggestions/ recommendations from you pros ;)

a little about my game to help guide you:

played for less than a year
no real serve or volley yet haha
5'8" underweight
prefers baseline; 1fh 2bh
favorite shot is backhand sidespin slice(may be dropshot) and topspin lob :mrgreen:

i have demoed a cuple rackets and the one i like the best is a babalot something. i think its the (fake) nadal one; i know its not roddick's. ideally i would like a small frame but when i tried the n six-one 95 i was mishiting like every shot. another racket i like is my coach's LM i prestige 98.

thanks for reading this long post and replying!

Actually you already picked the rigt racquet. Sounds like you play with a lot of "Junk"...slice and dice because you do not have the strokes yet. The APD really helps you slice as the increased aerodynamic headspeed enables some serious slice and spins. Also the racquet feels really flexible. I know it has a high stiffness rating of 67 but it plays really flexible.