PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good Serve/Volley stick?

Renisis9k
10-01-2006, 05:16 PM
As the title says, what attributes (swingweight, static weight, balance, etc...) of a racquet do you think make it a good server & volley stick? Please provide some examples to support your claims :)

Thanks,
Renisis9k

Duzza
10-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Hmmm.... I would say High SW, High Static Weight, 2-4 pts HL because from what i know this was like Sampras's racquet

Amone
10-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Mostly, I'd say a low polarization-- low SW, high static weight, even or HH balance. That's what my ideal's looking like, right now.

hoosierbr
10-01-2006, 08:22 PM
You can serve-and-volley with just about anything. In my experience, though, playing s&v is best suited to a high(er) static weight frame that's very headlight and has a low swingweight. Something along the lines of 12 oz, 8-9 pts HL and a sw below 320. Examples: Yonex Ti-80, RDX 500, Slazenger Pro X1, Volkl Tour 10 V-Engine Mid, etc.

billyboybeacon
10-02-2006, 08:18 AM
what hoosier said...I can't serve and volley w/ head heavey racket...slaz x-1 good choice.. I love the c-10 pro and tour 10 gen II and they are both in the 12 oz 8-10 pts headlight area...you need heft in the racket to feel stable and headlight for quick reflex volleys..my .02

The Pusher Terminator
10-02-2006, 08:21 AM
The Wilson ncode 90 is absolutely the greatest serve and volley stick that I have ever played with...but thats all its good for. In fact on second serves it even sucks. It sucks on ground strokes and just about everything. But if you nail that first serve and if its even returned ...you then can really stick a huge volley. Its like poetry.

a guy
10-02-2006, 08:34 AM
Slazenger Pro X1

:cool:

drakulie
10-02-2006, 09:18 AM
The person wielding it.

louis netman
10-02-2006, 09:36 AM
The Wilson ncode 90 is absolutely the greatest serve and volley stick that I have ever played with...but thats all its good for. In fact on second serves it even sucks. It sucks on ground strokes and just about everything. But if you nail that first serve and if its even returned ...you then can really stick a huge volley. Its like poetry.

Truthfully, a prerequisite for a s&v stick is the ability to hit good 2nd serves, especially big kickers. Although not as prevalent on the pro-tour these days, true s&v players will often s&v on the 2nd serve, and may often vary the attack and use it as an element of surprise in typical all court play... A skilled s&v off a good 2nd serve can still be very effective in the 4.5-5.5 level of play.

Go for heavy (12+oz) and headlight (7 pts +), standard length, 90"-98" with gut or gut hybrid at mid to above mid tension for optimum results...Most of all, have fun!!! :-)

The Pusher Terminator
10-02-2006, 11:28 AM
Truthfully, a prerequisite for a s&v stick is the ability to hit good 2nd serves, especially big kickers. Although not as prevalent on the pro-tour these days, true s&v players will often s&v on the 2nd serve, and may often vary the attack and use it as an element of surprise in typical all court play... A skilled s&v off a good 2nd serve can still be very effective in the 4.5-5.5 level of play.

Go for heavy (12+oz) and headlight (7 pts +), standard length, 90"-98" with gut or gut hybrid at mid to above mid tension for optimum results...Most of all, have fun!!! :-)

I completely agree.

El Diablo
10-02-2006, 11:48 AM
If you can handle the SW, I'm not sure lighter and a little head heavier is a problem for S&V. I've long favored heavy and headlight, but now have gone to a stick that's 11.5 ounces and 3 points HL, and keep hearing how much more height and penetration my second serve has since the change. Also feel like there's more "stick" to my volley, so I think a weightier head works fine so long as it's still something you can maneuver fairly quickly. One sure benefit of the heavier head is that "self-defense" reflex volleys of balls hit straight at your chest are more likely to rebound reasonably deep instead of land short for an easy pass.

Gundam
10-02-2006, 11:58 AM
My favorite S&V sticks are :

Wilson Pro staff6.0 95 : I cannot believe it's over 12 oz! It's such a user-friendly racquet. I don't believe it's RDC rating, it's soft feeling sweet racquet with great spin potential. Balls seem to stay a millisecond longer on the string bed with this one.

Prince Precision Response 660 or Ti: Slightly stiff to my liking but I found they are very good at S&V. Unlike PS6.0 95 which feels soft and provides extra ball stay time on the string bed/feel, PRs seem to work well due to their stiffness (excellent directional control? I feel like I can direct my volleys well with these). Unlike many, I was disappointed with warrior OS. Even after leaded up.

Estusa Power Beam Pro : This one does everything very well. The head size isn't big but quite forgiving. Also headlight but less so than 95. It's like a serious old brother of PS6.0 95 because I can hit heavier shots with this than with 95.

cf. Prince original Graphite Oversize ; PS6.0 95 and POG OS are my favorites. If I have one complaint with POG OS, it's volley (and maybe lob too). It's forgiving and meneuverable but somehow lacks in 'directional control' department. I am going to try higher string tension.

TonyB
10-02-2006, 01:28 PM
You can serve-and-volley with just about anything. In my experience, though, playing s&v is best suited to a high(er) static weight frame that's very headlight and has a low swingweight. Something along the lines of 12 oz, 8-9 pts HL and a sw below 320. Examples: Yonex Ti-80, RDX 500, Slazenger Pro X1, Volkl Tour 10 V-Engine Mid, etc.

Perfect list.

I would add to that: old Yonex Ti-50, RQ-120, RX-37, R-22, old Head Prestige Tour, and even possibly the Dunlop 200G 95.

SW of 320 at maximum... I'd keep it around 310 if possible.

Any idea where I can get the Slaz Pro X-1?

hoosierbr
10-02-2006, 01:32 PM
Perfect list.

I would add to that: old Yonex Ti-50, RQ-120, RX-37, R-22, old Head Prestige Tour, and even possibly the Dunlop 200G 95.

SW of 320 at maximum... I'd keep it around 310 if possible.

Any idea where I can get the Slaz Pro X-1?

The Slaz is still available at a few other internet retailers. I'm sure you can find one in almost new if not new condition on the boards here.